Tummy trouble and ME

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi does anyone have tummy problems. I have such a bad appetite that although I know it wrong I go for days with out eating I never feel hungry. When I make a point of eating something . I then go two weeks with out going to the toilet,which can not be right, and then when I do go I can not stop for 2 or 3 days.

It is bad enough that I spend 4 out of 7 in bed but with the tummy problem as well I just want to cry.

does anyone have the problem of no appetite.

what about tummy problems.

im finding with the ME I seem to be having more bad days then good, the main things is pain in my legs, because of this I am getting out less and less.

sometimes I think is it better to just sleep and carry on sleeping.

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Deb. To a certain extent you sound just like me . It's really hard to live with . I used to sleep a lot , then it changed to not getting much sleep . Now I think I have at last got my meds sorted that I get some sleep at night . I dose during the day but it's like 30 mins here and there . My legs are the worst part for me . Like you there getting worse and I'm not getting out much either . I had a bad fall last year and that has knocked my confidence a lot . I have cruches but I can't get used to then . I don't like going out alone . I try to make an effort to go to the shops a few times a week ins just across from my home . I wasn't eating much at the start around 9 years ago . Now I eat like a horse . I think that's my meds tho they make me hungry . You really need to try eat little and often . Even if it's a bowl of soup or a sandwich . I use to eat crackers and spread not much effort food . But eating is really important for some strength . I take omeprozole for my tummy it helps a bit . But my tummy gets really swollen some days . You also need to add fibre to you diet .. brown bread or cereal . It will help with toilet needs. It's hard to get a happy medium . But fibre and food really important . I'm 47 and got sick through glandular fever . I feel like a pentioner , most days . You will feel a bit better if you try to eat more and try to get a wee routine of doing something juring the day so you don't sleep to much . My heart goes out to you , because I truly know how that feels . I hope things improve for you deb. ❤x
    • Posted

Hi 

Thankyou for your reply, I am 55 and also I take omeprozole, I'm not sure how I got ME. I was told it was a virus about 2006, I was in hospital just sleeping, basically I went to sleep for 4 days not even waking to go to the toilet, then when I woke up I was fine.

it was about 2 years then I got this horried illness, I was in a good job that I worked hard to get the promotion I wanted and lost it all within a year, the old me is no more that women has gone and I can not see here coming back.

it helps a lot to be able to chat on here.x

• Posted

Hi there,

sounds like you are having a very tough time of it.

I used to go off my food too but as I lived with people who cooked for me even at my worst of going off my food I ate something in a day.

But for me going off my food came to be the first noticeable symptom of depression.  My mood would plummet within anything from week or so to a months or so.  Be very careful.  It does sound awfully similar to what you are describing.  

Maybe come Monday you need to see your GP.  It happened  every few years for me, for a while and now I never need meds.  I wouldn't need them for long, maybe just 3 or 4 months at a push.  It seemed that my brain chemistry would get knocked out with the M.E,  Although the meds can take a month to kick in which makes me very concerned for you as it sounds quite developed with you.

Hang in there, have a hug x

• Posted

thank you for your reply, and I will take not of what you said.

take care x

• Posted

Hi Deb,

I have tummy issues with this and the bloating problem and it can be a really frustrating but, I do eat ok. Sometimes possibly too much for my energy needs. However, I do have days where I feel nauseous and not up to eating. I make sure I eat gentle easy foods then. Your body is out of sync and I can only imagine how odd it feels to go to the loo after a week. Like Lorraine says, take easy foods. Soups, stews, smoothies are good. Little amounts will help to get you used to food again. I'm not sure if you feel constipated, how you are with drinks? This is an important part of healthy toileting if you are constipated with it. Finally, my son (who doesn't have cfs/me) goes to the loo about every 4/5 days and he has no issues, no pain etc, it doesn't bother him, just how is body Is.

I too have several days in bed and it can be hard to keep your morale up. This can also lead to not wanting to eat.

I too have leg pain but, like many of my symptoms, its intermittent. We all deserve a medal on this forum! Remember, people do get better. People who have been permanently bed bound have recovered.

Hope this helps

Beverley

• Posted

hi Beverley

we do need a medal, I just wish we were taking more seriously as most people have never heard of ME, it gets to much when people see me on a good day and say are you better now. You never hear any thing on telly or in the paper that they are getting closer to a cure, so if doctors don't take it serious no one else will.

cheers Debbie x

• Posted

Hi Debbie,

Yes people are the same with me-see me on a good day so things 'must' be better. It is frustrating. When I tell people I have cfs/me though, people usually seem to know someone who has had it and I've heard cures from aloe vera juice to pregnancy! I've also read (online) a couple of articles published in newspapers, its just we don't seem to get front page. Its only if headline stars get it that we'll get the coverage.

I also saw a story covered on a young lady with lupus recently. They actually showed her, one pick in bed exhausted and the other 'on a good day' its slowely gradual but, hopefully things are changing for the better and a cure or at least more understanding of the causes will be soon.

best wishes

Beverley

• Posted

It might be worth making a note of what you eat when you have your symptoms as M.E. can throw up intolerance you never had before. I was eventually diagnosed with lactose intolerance after suffering pain and bloating which was so bad I got to the stage where I didn't want to eat. I now also have soya and fructose intolerance - all I think due to the M.E.

Paz

• Posted

I was going to mention intolerance but I see you already have. I'm intolerant to lots of things since having ME, and I've found that since giving up gluten and wheat I don't get bloated. 

I don't drink milk but I do eat goats cheese and butter, and plain probiotic yoghurt and I'm ok with them.

• Posted

i think tummy problems a common symptom with many immune conditions, some diagnosed as gastritus some not, but bloating, belching, discomfort, loss of appetite not unusual, l go on and off food, and that after changing to a light plain diet, no lactose, no rich food, on aggrevated times l eat little daytime, toast,  but try small meal evening, l can also go days 4 or 5 without needing bowel movement then to 2-3 times in a day, l think its ibs causing bowel to spasm, so closing for days, yours maybe longer due to not eating much. 

l get tiredness all the time, some days fatigue where l can drop off to sleep just leaning back on sofa 2-4 times for 30min or so, wake up feeling bad, feels as if drugged, drifting, today bad day, washed out, it also affects phycalogically as you know its not normal and feels like a waste of time, but needed when that tired.  Other days dont sleep daytime,enough energy to catch up on essential light tidying up, or to shop,   either way sleep poor at nights, restless disturbed, worst when lower hips top of legs side and back nag with pain, restless legs with it, up and down through night, use pain gel to help a bit, also use omprazole as prescribed for gastritus, it does help, and you can buy it at chemist, nexium, worth trying a week of plain diet, at least one meal a day and maybe toast occassionally.l,m going out less and less over last few month, been a bit of an ordeal for a while before that, not the relaxing pleasure it used to be, due to feeling discomfort tense up into my own bubble, find it embarressing also, but dont want to give in to staying in all the time, even with odd short trips 2-3 times a week, lhr 200yrs 2 shops, its getting out, still a problem lifetyle and can cause depression, it is a battle.  Dare l ask if your doc is supporting, maybe you need something to help with your tummy problems, you could always try nexium for a week or so see if that helps, if acid problems, or ask gp for referral to gastrologist. Sorry your needing to spend days in bed, l know others do or have, and now dont,  so it can improve. Do you have someone who can go into gps with you, let them know just how your feeling with the lifestyle. They could at least help with the tum problems. Things can improve, dont lose hope, best wishes

• Posted

Hi lynne

do I just cut things out of my diet and see if I feel better or do I have to have a doctor do test my doc is quite good.

i have a wonderful husband who looks after me but he is unwell him self he has emethsema, I may have spelt that wrong lol

debs

• Posted

Hi Deb, You could have a word with your doc, but try eliminating yourself see if there,s any difference.  Glad to hear youve a supportive husband, it helps, but doesnt if often seem the case, judging by other posts l read that both partners have health problems, bit like the blind leading the blind, l guess in a way it makes people feel less bad that theyre not restricting their partner but helping each other, as much as theyre able, good job as many drs and health professionals put some conditions way down list for empathy offers of practical help.  l manage but have only myself to sort out, but keep looking at my hedge starting to grow now, oh dear, have to save up for a gardener. There is another good mb with lots of support, healthunlocked, the mod on fibro is very good, he,s fibro copd, his wife in a wheelchair, crocks united, but he,s very empathetic with advice. That site also posts pics, and some posters put up pics of pets, gardens, local areas, interesting. Dont worry about spelling, med things, l always have probs with hemmorage. and rest. Best Wishesx
    • Posted

I had the same problem I couldn,t be bothered to eat. However I have a very good cook in my wife, so I decided I would eat what ever was put in front of me. I have found a lot of the problem is everything tastes the same. Regarding the toilet I make a habit of going to the toilet before I go to bed. Its not because I feel like I need to go but I do pass solids everytime. I have no idea why we don,t get  the message its time to go to the toilet yet another thing I don,t understand

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.