TUMT

Posted , 11 users are following.

l just had the TUMT procedure done yesterday. lt was worse experience in my life. l am suffering when l feel the urge, it feels like l am heavily constipated. l cannot stop urge to push hard. No stool is coming out, not even gas. l went to the ER, 7 hours, took alot test, Xrays, MRI. CATSCAN all normal. So, what gives?

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Unfortunately you had a highly invasive surgery done by urologists.  I strongly suggest to any men reading this site to try a PAE first.  It changed my life for the better and causes no sexual issues, bleeding, etc.  It is covered by Medicare.  Urologists won't talk about it because it is business lost as Intervention Radiologists do it.  I'm sure you'll get better in time. Stay optimistic.

• Posted

At worst, TUMT is "minimally invasive". I had it done. Although I'm not sure of the medical nuance, I didn't consider it "surgery". No cutting done. It was more of a "procedure" that I would liken to a colonoscopy.

• Posted

Are you on stool softner now and were you before the surgery?   You very well may be constipated, and should be taking a recommended dose of Mira-lax.   Are you taking a narcotic pain killer?  If so, stop and take Tylenol.  

Any urologist who doesn't recommend taking a stool softener before surgery and recommends patients to try to avoid narcotic pain killers should be replaced IMO.

Glenn

• Posted

l am on extra strength Tylenol. No stool softner before or after
    • Posted

All I have to do is say "Vicodin" and I don't have a bowel movement for 3 days. Hate those things.

• Posted

I don't know about the TUMT treatment. I agree with David on looking into PAE but also I would strongly suggest to look at the FLA. Both are done by Interventional Radiologist PAE is a more random approach and FLA is a very focused and precise tissue removal treatment. I studied both PAE and FLA before deciding on FLA approximately 16 months ago. I have had very good results. Please, anyone who is selecting a procedure, take your time and do the research. Talk to others who have tried a procedure. Use logic common sense and do not rely on the Urologist to tell you his solution of the month.

Urologist do not present the PAE or FLA option as they do not have the experience, education or knowledge to preform these treatments. So they will typically discourage you to do anything that they cannot benefit from. But there are doctors who can and will present the options to you. Then you decide.

• Posted

TUMT is a microwave treatment. They don't "burn" any tissue away. I had absolutely no pain or discomfort afterwards (other than a catheter bag). It also did absolutely NOTHING to shrink my prostate.

• Posted

Hi Russell,

I'm not familiar with this procedure, but from the research I just did, it doesn't appear to be all that invasive. That said, they just burned a quantity of tissue out of your prostate yesterday, and there is bound to be swelling and pain. For acute issues, obviously go to the ER or back to your doctor, but otherwise, be patient and please write again in a week or 10 days to let us know how you are doing. I'm pretty sure you will feel better as you begin to heal, and would love to hear about your progress.

Best wishes,

Fred

• Posted

TUMT is a microwave treatment. They don't "burn" any tissue away. I had absolutely no pain or discomfort afterwards (other than a catheter bag). It also did absolutely NOTHING to shrink my prostate.

• Posted

Russell,

I just had fla and it took awhile to go. I was constipated for 3 or 4 days. I drank metamucil 3 times a day, plus i took pericolax (Not sure on the spelling )it took awhile plus i had to push pretty hard to get it out.  I was freaked out but it all worked after a few days. Give it some time. 

jim

• Posted

Jim- How are you doing so far after your 2nd FLA ? Are you still cathetered at this point, or in much pain..? Hope all is well. Cheers- J
    • Posted

Doing ok, foley is out. Having some bladder pain, but is getting better. I will keep everyone posted on progress in a couple of weeks. Seeing slight improvements. But slow in coming.

Jim

• Posted

Glad you're doing okay... Seeing slight improvements at this early stage is a good sign..!

Best- J

• Posted

Could it be your prostate throbbing ? When I had my second bout of chronic prostatitis I went to the doctor because I had a constant feeling of fullness in my rectum and this turned out to be because my prostate was inflamed . The feeling is like having a marble in your rectum .A doctor can diagnose this by a doing a DRE . If the discomfort increases when he touches your prostate then that’s what the problem is .Just a thought. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.