Tunnel under skin. What is the surgery like?

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hello,

I just discovered this forum and have found it to be really helpful. I have a question. In the beginning of December 2015 I had a really big boil in my armpit that burst. It made a big wound (looks like a cut in the skin) that still hasn't healed. Its been a month, so I decided to visit my doctor. She said that there is a almost 2 cm long "tunnel" underneath the skin. If there is no improvement by next week, she will send me to surgery.

Has anyone had a surgery like this? What is the process? How well did you heal afterwards?  

I've never had surgery before, so this is all new to me. I would really appreciate your response, as I'm terrified for surgery.

Best regards,

Sano

1 like, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Have you looked on youtube? It's pretty extensive. There has been a 50/50 no re occurring rate. It really depends on who is doing the surgery what is their outcome recovery. And if they are going to leave it open to heal within, or close it by stitches. I highly recommend looking it up on youtube ..they have the actual surgery
    • Posted

I can't watch videos because that will just scare me. Is surgery necessary? Is it possible to just let the wound heal naturally?
    • Posted

I understand. Well there's alot, but it will definitely come back and sometimes spread. So it's a lot of maintenance. Every night clean the area with alcohol, put neosporin, or aloe, or topical cream to reduce aNY infections. Keep that area dry and air it out as much as you can. Drink calendula tea, take a vitamin zinc every day and drink lots of water. Stay away from inflammation foods. Eating this will cause them to get worse,red and sore or spread. Peppers, onions and eggplant is one of them.
    • Posted

Right now I'm rinsing with chlorhexidine and applying manuka honey. My doctor recommended manuka honey. I haven't heared about calendula tea before. I will definitly try it. I've had HS for five years, so I'm "luckly" used to them coming back and all the maintenance they demand. But this is the first time that the boil has caused a big wound that won't heal.

Thank you so much for your answers! smile

• Posted

Calendula tea healed all my boils that wouldn't heal. Also have your doctor culture the wound I am pretty sure they will find a bacteria that's preventing it from healing.
    • Posted

Okey, I will do that. Also, if I do choose surgery, should I do a normal surgery or CO2 laser? Is one better than the other? Which one leaves the worst scar?
  • Posted

Hi Sano

I had surgery when I was 20 under both arms as mine tunnelled really deep. I could have put my finger in the hole to my knuckles. Mine were left open and packed by the district nurse every day until they healed . I'm now 46 and never had any reoccurring lumps until a month ago. It's gone now and hopefully won't be back. I swear by an ointment I came across on amazon called Emuaid. It about 40 pounds but if I have a flare up I just put that on an adhesive dressing and within a day or 2 it's gone. It get rid of the pain more or less straight away. If you have that lump which never goes away because of the tunneling I would have it removed as it will keep on filling back up again and again.

• Posted

Hi Sano,

I've been in and out of hospital with this condition for years and have been told that surgery can make the condition worse.  You might want to check this out before resorting to surgery!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.