Turbinoplasty recovery - week 3

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was given 2 weeks off work by the surgeon. By the end of the 2nd week I was still bleeding with blood in my nose and also going down the back of my throat when I sleep and also during the day. Leading onto sickness feeling, especially when I eat, headaches (hugr ones because I also have neck vertabrae compression on left side with nerve root problems), fatigue, bas bad memory, dizziness (kind of like disorientation) and when I lay down no matter the position, my face hurts like Im getting repeatedly punched.

Went to see the GP doctor on friday and he gave me anti-sickness meds and ordered bloods for full blood count and ferritin. If the blood results show I'm loosing blood (which is clearly seen if anyone looks at my throat or nose) then I think it might get cauterized.

Anyone who has had this surgery or similar, after 2 weeks were you still having these symptoms and the blood down the throat/ in the nose?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi! I went through something similar recently. I never had a bloody nose before in my 49 years and it happened out of nowhere. Just extreme bleeding like a faucet through both nostril and down my throat to where I would choke on it. Ended up in the ER and they tried packing and it didnt work.

Turns out I had what is called a Posterior nose bleed where arteries hd burst. Ambulance took me to another hospital for emergency surgery and it turned out I had 2 holes in each nose (rare i guess) and had a stay overnight.

It took weeks for the facial pain to end. Felt just like you, like I was punched or if I turned my head a certain way, extreme shooting pain!!! Had headaches so bad I couldnt alk and ended up back in the ER because I developed an infection which may be what you have.

I cannot believe they didn't cauterize it!! Did they locate the area of the bleed? It sounds like you may have a posterior bled also and they can be life threatening at the most and veery dangerous at the least.

Mine was caused by my Sjogrens. I get extremely dry. Do you know what caused yours?

Btw I am still recovering 4 weeks later and may have to go back because my nose constantly fills up.

• Posted

Wow it seems like your bleed is way more than mine!

I have considered the possibility of an infection but ruled it out on the basis of no nasty infected-looking discharge... though on nostril is still bleeding and kinds sore to the touch on the outside.

Headaches, earaches and disorientation are the worst for me, the blood I can handle. Just an hour or so ago I was laid down with my pet dog and I felt a cold feeling in 1 nostril, put my finger to the rim and my whole fingertip was red. The other nostril has seemingly stopped bleeding.

I have another 2 weeks sick note, so in total I will have 5 weeks off work minimum (still bleeding going into the 4th week of recovery now). Luckly my GP was previously in the hospital ENT team so he's been monitoring my sitution closely and he is also looking to go into Aviation medicine, so since I will soon be looking to apply for my professional pilots licience and therefore pass a Class 1 medical, he has said he'll help me get everything sorted so I will pass :D but after the surgery has healed, of course.

I had clotting problems even at the hospital, I was supposed to leave 6hrs after surgery but ended up staying in for overnight and they were 50/50 on allowing me home in the morning as it was still bleeding. 

I am looking to change jobs and actually have an interview in 4 days time, so hopefully I don't end up having a bleed mid interview haha.

I hope you get well soon! Let me know how you get on. Take care smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.