Turmeric, Bicarb and Pred Reduction

Posted , 11 users are following.

After reading ‘abnormal’ on my blood test results I was a bit concerned about being anaemic but Eileen pointed out that this is fairly normal with our condition. Karenjanizaz gave it a name ‘anaemia of chronic disease’ (also known as anaemia of inflammation) and pointed out that turmeric is contraindicated in this condition as it interferes with the body’s iron storage. So I stopped taking it.

About three weeks ago, in preparation for my first pred reduction from 10mg -9mg I started taking half a teaspoon of Bi-carb twice a day as suggested by someone else on this site.  As my hands are very inflamed I thought that if I saw a reduction in the inflammation it would show the bi-carb was working. There is no reduction in the inflammation! I became concerned that I might be doing myself more harm than good so I  stopped taking it.

My head is in a spin with all the things I could be taking to improve my condition!!  And the choices – should it be calcium carbonate, calcium citrate or calcium phosphate.  Then the things they say you need to go with it - Vit D? probably. Magnesium? Dunno, Vit K? dunno, Boron? And so it goes on.  Don’t even get started on iron supplements!!!

I am going to eat more eggs and try to eat liver once a week which is probably better.

From now on I am only going to take things I am prescribed or recommendations that have been properly, scientifically tested.

I made my first pred reduction from 10mg to 9mg on Tuesday and so far am fine.

Have hurt my back being a bit over enthusiastic with my exercises.  I lost concentration and forgot to be careful!!

Talk about a learning curve!!

1 like, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sounds fair enough! The only thing you REALLY need is pred. Plus calcium and vit D supplement which have been shown to reduce the loss of bone density sometimes (but not always) found in pred patients. I've never taken anything else...

• Posted

I have been taking bicarbonate of soda for a ew weeks and can't be sure i it does any good but I doubt it does any harm and it's cheap!

• Posted

CAUTIONARY TALE :   I had a flu type virus last August  (2017)  -- I ran a high fever and had very strange, painful, debilitating muscular symptoms which moved over a couple of days from the upper part of my body to the lower.  When the virus abated, I was somewhat ill for several months.  Then, in October, I noticed that after sitting in the car or riding the exercise bike at the gym, it was very difficult to get up and move forward.  It was getting harder and harder to move.

In November, I went to the emergency room because the pain in my hips and legs was excrutiating and I could hardly move or function.  It felt as if I had rods in my legs and was unable to bend them.  The ER visit was a total -- I mean total -- joke.  I saw my regular doctor a week later.  He was pretty convinced I had sciatica or some kind of bone problem (as did the ER guy).  I went for xrays, MRIs, etc.  None of the tests showed anything.  Except -- blood work.  My CRP and Sed Rate, etc. were very high.  I also had candida.  So my doctor began treating me for candida -- I had a HORRIBLE HORRIBLE reaction to that medicine.  And I wasn't getting any treatment for my other intense issues.  

So -- I started researching.  It wasn't long before I was pretty convinced that I had PMR (but with no GCA that I knew of -- no symptoms).  At that time, I was talking to my neighbor about my issues and before I told her what I thought I had, she told me she'd had PMR for 4 years and was on Prednisone the whole time.  She also had GCA.  She was also very convinced I had PMR.  

A couple of months go by -- my doctor still has not admitted I had PMR nor did he suggest Prednisone, nor much of any thing else.  I was in excrutiating pain and practically paralyzed because it moved from my hips and legs to include my shoulders and arms.

And my symptoms kept morphing.  I was in pain, immobile and miserable.  I wouldn't even talk to any friends or family about it because nobody could understand my predicament and kept trying to give me advice that had nothing whatsoever to do with my symptoms.

Finally, I decided to implement some of the natural treatments I had researched -- through scientific articles, books and blogs.  

Let me interject here -- as some who have seen my earlier posts know -- I only was on the Pred to obtain a diagnosis -- about a week.  Yes, the results were dramatic and I felt like a normal, non-sick, pain free person.  

HOWEVER, I have several other medical issues that Predniszone will wreak havoc with.  I have had a lot of severe and weird illnesses in my life and I knew I couldn't afford to take any chances with Pred or any other steroid.  I would have been so much worse off on the Prednisone than just getting through the PMR.  I couldn't risk it.

So, the research led me to several different things which I started with my doctor's blessing.  Within in one month, my blood tests were reduced and within two months -- GREATLY reduced -- and more later.  My pain, stiffness was STARTING to go away.  IT WASN'T OVER NIGHT.  I had to learn what worked, what needed to be tweaked, etc. But late February, early March, the good results were gradually coming in.  

I found that things went in WEEKS.  I must have gone through about 15 or more different scenarios of issues.  Each one would take 2 or 3 weeks to subside, then a new one would pop up and 2 or 3 weeks later, it was gone, and another would surface.  Sometimes, they were actually at the same time.

Anyway, I was progressively getting better and better.  I began to be able to walk better, get up and down from a sitting position better, etc., etc.  I knew I was really on the mend when I was able to stop lying and sleeping on the living room couch (5 months) and move to our bed.  That was heaven.

Then recently, I discovered the baking soda.  I gave it a try and had amazing results.  But it took longer than just a few weeks.  Natural things are not necessarily overnight solutions.  

And I wrote on this blog of my successes.  I caveated that blog with many cautions -- 1. Do your own research.  2.  Do the research intensely.  3.  Read everything -- pro AND con.  4.  Remember that I WAS NOT ON PREDNISONE.  4.  I had no idea if baking soda and prednisone would work together or not.  5.  Everybody's circumstances and bodies are different.  6.  Don't take my word for it.  7.  May not work for everyone.  Etc., etc., etc.  I MAY HAVE NEGLECTED TO SAY, GIVE IT TIME - can't remember.

Anyway,  I had the advantage over the readers of this PMR/GCA blog in that I never did the Pred for more than a week.

I am not completely well.  I still have issues that may or may not be related to PMR, but I am about 85% functional.  Some days 100%.  Do I still have some pain and stiffness -- yes, but it is constantly being reduced.

Here is what my doctor said to me last Tuesday (7/31/2018).  He said -- "I wish I could give your phone number out to all my other PMR patients.  It is unheard of how you have progressed in such a short time."   (Meaning w/out Pred)  I was on cloud 9 to get his admission that he saw that this stuff worked.  It hasn't necessarily been easy or smooth, and I have gotten a LOT of flack from Prednisone-Only people, but it has certainly been worth it for me.  My goal has been to be "free" in one year.  Starting with the treatments say in mid-February or early March, that will be February of 2019.  At this point, I am 85% or more there -- practically pain free and extremely mobile.  To me that is huge.

And I think it is pretty incredible to have gone from a paralyzed, excrutiatingly painful and debilitating state to walking around like normal, doing light housework, being able to take a shower by myself without having to take a 2 hour nap to recuperate, being able to dry myself off and get dressed without help, being able to cook 3 meals a day and wash dishes -- you get the picture.  I think its pretty incredible to be at this point without Prednisone.

I just wish it was something more people were ABLE to do and to be able to get such relief as I have.  It breaks my heart to read some of the posts on this blog, especially those people who have suffered so badly for years.  I wish what has worked for me could have worked for the rest of the group.

• Posted

Dear E, You are obviously a lovely, warm hearted woman who cares deeply about her fellow sufferers and would love us to experience the same relief you have.

As far as I know I have no medical issues that pred would wreak havoc with. Between 1977 and 1990 I had 3 surgeries on my spine as well as other invasive procedures which has left me with a condition unhelpfully called Failed Back Surgery Syndrome.  I have had to deal with many bouts of extreme pain throughout most of my adult life.  Fortunately between these bouts I have remained active, worked and been involved in the community.

I have nevertheless suffered bouts of depression and anxiety which leave me unable to think clearly so in searching for things that may bring me relief  I have made several mistakes.  I can be convinced in the efficacy of a product one day  and persuaded off it the next.  (In my defence I am helped in these decisions by my son who is 50 and has an ASD and my 25 year granddaughter who is bi-polar, both of whom I love dearly but they take a lot of my mental energy)

It was during one of these back flares, earlier this year that I developed PMR.  As with you the pain in my arms, shoulders and hips was excruciating, everything was so difficult – you know what I mean, I don’t have to go into details. My GP continued to treat this as my usual back pain (just ignored the problem with my arms, and shoulders) until, luckily I suppose, my hands seized up he took a blood test and prescribed 30mg pred for 7 days. As you know this worked like magic, it even helped the neurological pain in my back as the night after I took the first dose I woke up and realised I HAD NO PAIN, ANYWHERE!!

You have had a horrible time and are rightly proud of yourself for coming so far without the help of pred, but you are able to fully engage in research and evaluate the pros and cons in a way that many of us are unable.

For those of us without the necessary skills to properly evaluate  research, extreme cation would seem best.  You obviously have a deep belief in your ability to make yourself well, and wonderfully it has worked. Respect! As the young people say!

Best wishes

Kate

• Posted

You know, I'm sure I've read somewhere that relatively short term polymyalgia can be caused by reaction to a virus infection.  There is thought to be more than one kind of PMR, and seeing how different we all are I think this is probably true.  The "classic" form lasts between two and six years, other forms seem to last longer, maybe even for life, and the same symptoms can occur but resolve relatively quickly.  It's so hard to know if a particular treatment helped in your case or if you were one of those who has the short form.  

It can be inspirational to read about people who successfully left PMR behind in a matter of months but sadly I don't think it is realistic for most of us, simply because the form of the disease we have is different.  PMR is a description of a group of symptoms, not a specific disease with a known cause.  

• Posted

I believe I had a full blown case of PMR whatever the cause -- and I was not improving whatsoever for five months and was getting worse . . .  until I did the intervention of the supplements.  My blood work results dropped hugely once I started on those.  There was definitely a dramatic cause and effect thing going on -- not a gradual change. That being said, I will need to take a breather soon from the supplements b/c you're not supposed to do them full term forever at high doses.  But I will do one at a time and see what happens.  I went from being  totally bedridden (except for trips to the bathroom which were horrendous), practically paralyzed -- i.e., unable to move my arms and legs, or my body, etc. for five months with no change.  No relief until the supplements.  Both my doctor -- who was initially skeptical himself -- and I are convinced this was not simply a quickee or mild version of PMR.

I agree with you re the realism of most people's situations and I understand that not every one can respond as I did, but I put out my story JUST IN CASE EVEN ONE PERSON can benefit.  Again, I did not do prednisone for more than about a week so I do think I had an advantage over most and I also suspect that may be why my body responded well.  However, if it began to be thought that I had GCA, I probably wouldn't hesitate to do the pred.  I'd just have to take my chances re the other things that could be waiting in the wings. 

One thing I find is that most people are rightly skeptical about supplements but they come to conclusions without really doing very much deep investigation.  == I do understand about Kate's situation, as she noted above, if a person doesn't have the circumstances to research.  == And I am also NOT saying that what worked for me will definitely work for others.  I don't make those claims.  We are each different with different circumstances and different histories, and yes, possibly different forms of PMR.  But, my mantra has been WHAT IF this thing or that thing might  work.  If it doesn't then, so what, I've eliminated something and start over.  For me, even though I may still have a ways to go, a lot of things did work and I have been very, very fortunate so far on many fronts.

• Posted

Hey E,

Your results are amazing!

I too am trying natural remedies to avoid prednisone.

I am interested in your list of ingredients and dosages that you have tried. Or is there a link to your blog that lists them? I appreciate any info you can provide.

Best wishes for continued success! : )

L

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.