Turmeric & Blood Thinners

Posted , 14 users are following.

Since being diagnosed with PMR Sept, 2014, I've tried to follow an anti-inflammatory diet as closely as possible. One of the things I've incorporated in my diet & take as a supplement is Turmeric. That word happened to catch my eye as I scanned our newspaper this morning and saw it mentioned in a medical help column. I read the question and answer and learned something I didn't know about Turmeric not being a good choice for people who take blood thinners. I thought I would share this with you as I've noticed many people on this forum mention that they are on Coumadin or warfarin. Here's the text I read:

Blood thinner users must avoid turmeric 

Q. I have a lot of arthritic pain, so when you mentioned turmeric for joint pain, I thought I would try it. In three days, my nose was bleeding. I take the anticoagulant, Coumadin, so I was concerned. My prothrombin time was sky-high.

I had to go off the blood thinner for five days to get back to normal. You should warn your readers about this interaction. Having your blood too thin can be extremely dangerous. 

A. Thank you for the reminder that anyone on warfarin (Coumadin) or other anticoagulants should steer clear of turmeric or curcumin.

Although this spice has anti-inflammatory properties, it also can magnify the effect of these anti-clotting medications.

Prothrombin time is a measure of how long it takes blood to clot.

This interaction has not been well studied and is not found in the official prescribing information for warfarin. Nevertheless, you are not the first person to report a serious bleeding problem with this combination. 

2 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

• Posted

Good warning...I have low platelet counts aNd for the same reason cannot take either of those spices, nor garlic or ginger. These spices help thin the blood. A good thing if you want to keep Your blood less sticky, are not on thinners and have no platelet issues.
  • Posted

The basic rule with taking warfarin is that you should not change your diet drastically or suddenly - so suddenly taking any of these after you have been stabilised on an anticoagulant does mean you should have more frequent INR tests until you are stable again. If you were taking or eating something during the period of titration to find the right dose - don't change it without doing the same. I eat large quantities of dark green veg - but I did then and still do. I notice a change when I'm on holiday and eat less.

It is interesting though - and I shall bear it in mind in future!

• Posted

Vickie

It is always recommended, and we repeat it constantly on all the PMR forums, that those on steroids should never purchase supplements of any description either on prescription or over the counter without first checking for contraindications with their GP or pharmacist.  I would think those on Warfarin/Coumadin would be even more alert to the risks of including certain things in their diets, but always worth a reminder. 

Whilst adding a small amount of turmeric in herb form to cooking is unlikely to cause problems, nevertheless it should still be checked out. 

• Posted

WOuld you share your diet or where you found one for fighting inflammation, please ?
    • Posted

I got on the internet and googled anti-inflammatory diet and read everything that popped up, plus I checked out a couple of books from our local library. The gist of them is to knock out sugar, salt, and the things we all know aren't good for us, and to increase the fruits & veggies. Certain foods have more natural anti-inflammatory properties like garlic, onions, broccoli, fatty fish, dark leafy greens, nuts, peppers, tomatoes, ginger, turmeric, etc. I'm not on a particular diet, I just tried to clean mine up and incorporate as many of the good things as I can. I started this immediately after I started on the prednisone and I haven't gained a pound either, which was another good reason to do it.
    • Posted

Thank you for the information.  Very helpful.
  • Posted

I also use Tumeric and also Plavix  .... given the bleeding reaction what other herbal can I take to moderate the inflamation pain .... I cannot take NSAID due to an ulcer ..

Thank You

• Posted

Does anyone know of any other turmeric problems or interaction with drugs or supplements. Thanks
  • Posted

Thank you Vickie ... I also have a friend who swears by Absorbine Veterinary Gel as a topical for joint pain .... when I researched this Ifound it contained Echinacea which has the same combination warning asTumeric when combined witha thinner.... I would imagine that the amount is small and as it is a topical the absorbtion rate would differ from an oral dose .... but I have not found any data to confirm this ....
  • Posted

Hello, VickieS! I haven't been following the thread of this conversation until now, so perhaps you can forgive if this question has been dealt with already. I have been taking warfarin for almost 10 years, and also received a dx of Mylodysplasia several years ago.  Mylodysplasia is a blood disorder which in some cases can lead to Leukemia. My hemotologist told me that therre was no actual cure for it, though if it advanced there might be treatments for the symptoms. A few years ago I Googled to see if there were any herbal remedies that might treat the condition, and learned that Tumeric could be worth a shot.

Although I did read that combining it with warfarin could be risky, I decided to give it a try as I get my inr checked regularlly. I've now been taking both meds for over 5 years and my inr has been entirely stable. I wonder if the risk of combining W. and T. might be a matter of individual sensitivity (like an allergic reaction) that only affects some people. Have you or the other folks in this group sen or heard anything to that effedct? I generally see that despite the warning, there do not seem to be any studies on the topic.

• Posted

It doesn't actually matter WHAT you eat or take PROVIDING your INR is checked regularly AND you eat/take the substance regularly. That means that eating/taking something every day or 3 times a week or whatever will be taken account of in the dose adjustment. What you mustn't do is assume your INR is OK and then binge for a couple of days on something and then not for another few weeks and binge again.

Here where I live the INR is checked every month providing you turn up to get it done - but you have to to get the prescription and they only hand out a restricted supply. In some countries though they do it far less regularly, sometimes as little as every 3 or 4 months and of course some people just don't bother to get it checked if they have a lot of tablets on hand. If you have the right INR one month and then take a lot of something that raises/lowers it for the next few weeks your INR could be way out and you are at risk of either developing clots if it is too low or bleeding badly if you had an accident when it was far too high. If then you haven't been eating whatever it was in the weeks before the next test - you might never know.

Warfarin is funny stuff - you have to titrate the dose to find the right one for you - and things can change quite suddenly. I was on a related drug and after years of no problems my INR suddenly started swinging about when I had to go to a higher dose of pred. It would go from OK (2 to 3) down to 1.3 and back up to OK and then back - or up to well over 3 - in a matter of a few days with no good reason. We simply couldn't find the right dose and I was having it checked every few days to see what was happening. Which really isn't particularly practical!

The original "don't drink cranberry juice" warning came because an elderly gentleman was admitted with bleeding and found to have an INR in the 30s (or so). The only strange thing in his home diet was cranberry juice, he was a cranberry farmer. But he was drinking gallons of the stuff. The normal amount people drink is unlikely to do that - but even so, if it is a regular part of your diet, no problems.

• Posted

Hi,  EileenH, and thanks for your reply. I'm fortunate that where I liove (in the US) there is a clinic in my community, and I can regularly get my inr tested wvery month. I have been hesitant to discuss the issue of turmeric with my doc (actually shes a nurse practioner) due to the forbidding disucssion about the contraindication of combining turmeric with warfarin. It's good to hear that you, at least, see no sure-fire danger in combining the two substances so long as I keep getting tested.

• Posted

I think it is the effect of where I live! When I discussed diet and anticoagulants with my GP here in northern Italy she looked at me as if I was crackers! They just tell patients to keep a regular diet and not overdo anything - and check monthly! 

In the UK the GPs often run a warfarin clinic where everyone turns up to a session and gets it checked with a handheld device - like blood sugars. But some patients make a big fuss about the inconvenience and just don't go - which no doubt happens all over the world!

• Posted

Hello again, EileenH. It's interesting to hear how diferently patients are cared for in different places. I think it's generally considered tood practice in the USA for patients to be checked monthly. BUT how the check is done does vary. I've not heard about having a "warfarin session" but that's not a bad idea.

Presently I visit my practicioner's office monthly and get a finger-prick. It is relatively quick and comfortable. However, starting in July my insurance will require me to make a co-payment every time I visit the office. Therefore, I plan to schedule a visit with a lab every month. The lab comes to the same office - only difference is that I'll have to have a jab and the results will not be instant. Still, saving a few dollars every month is not bad when one is on a fixed income. Oh - and I didn't mention - insurance covers 100% of lab fees so there will be no co-pay.

Best regards, J

• Posted

Doesn't cost me anything however it is done as it is for anticoagulant therapy which is exempt the copay charges. The cardiologist told me this morning though that using the new generation anticoagulants becomes cost-effective compared to warfarin and the monthly checks it needs after only 10 months. I have to say - not having to have monthly blood tests is rather nice!!

• Posted

Hi, again, EileenH. Good luck with the "new-generation anticoagulants". I had spoken with my NP about them and decided to stick with warfarin, though tempted by the lack of blood spillage. Reasons: 1( the side effects, though rare, seemed rather nasty, and 2) it's a good rule of thumb to avoid new-to-the market meds for the first 5 - 10 years to be sure there are no unforesen problems with them.

Regards, J

• Posted

Good luck EileenH, thanks for all your help! 🙂

• Posted

Pradaxa has been around for several years having been licensed for widespread use since about 2011 with several years of clinical trials before that. For the last year an antidote has been available for emergency use and, since it is taken 2x daily its effect is gone in 24-48 hours max for elective surgery and starts immediately you take it afterwards. I was discussing it with the cardiologist yesterday and she says very few patients have any problems at all, just the occasional one who complains of indigestion and since the cost-benefit evidence is good almost all patients requiring anticoagulation are started on it now so there are a lot of patients around.

I was offered one of them 4 years ago and declined then on the same grounds you did, even cardiologists were saying something similar at the time! However - things have moved on, there are a whole range of them and antidotes are being developed. According to the cardiologist Pradaxa is the only one so far but the others are following. After all - even aspirin, ibuprofen and paracetamol have side effects that are just as nasty!

• Posted

Great post Eileen, I've been on warfarin for over a decade following a series of PE's. 

I abandoned the "can and can't" eat lists some years ago. The simple rule is everything in moderation and don't binge.  This allied to regular INR monitoring. Obviously in the Uk our little yellow book keeps us on the straight and narrow with regular blood testing.

I was diagnosed with PMR six months ago and found that Prednisolone at high doses did raise my INR but having now tapered to 12mgs my range is back 2 -3. I have found the same happened with some strong antibiotics. My GP does insist I take Omeprazole to prevent any stomach problems that might arise from any steroid/warfarin contra indication.

I don't really like cranberry juice that much but still find it a decent "go to"  for minor urinary tract infections.

• Posted

Thanks for your interesting letter. My first intro to pred. was about 10 years ago when I had a bout of PMR. A couple of years later I was dx'd with MDS (yyelodysplasia(sp?)) which I think is also an auto-immune condition. The MDS causes me to be anemic, but seems to be stable.  My hematologist said there are no meds to take for it, but later changed his opinion and suggested I take a daily 5 mg of pred, which he assures me can be tolerated w/o problems. He said that since I still have aches and pains occasionally, it may be from the PMR, and the pred will help with that too.

I've now been on the pred for several years with no untoward effects. I did read up on MDS in an alternative med site, and learned that turmeric will "control" its progress.( I didn't mention it before, but as I have Atrial Fibrillation, I've been on warfarin for several years.) I was concerned about the interaction between pred and turmeric, but decided to try it cautiously. I've now been taking both for at least 3-4 years with no problem. I do get my INR checked monthly, and everything is steady. I finally confessed taking turmeric to my doc, who said I should just watch the INR carefully, but otherwise not to worry.

One last word to you: be cautious about Omeprazole. I was taking it for several yers as an endoscopy showed that I might be about to develop a stomach ulcer. When I started on pred, my rheumatologist had me get a bone density scan, and it showed that I had borderline osteoporosis. Several years later I learned that a common side effect of taking Omeprazole  is bone loss, aka osteoporosis. So, please be careful about side effects!

Best wishes to you from Florida.

• Posted

Hello James just a comment I'm new here, but I've been on Warfarin since 2012 and will.  be for the rest of my life. Your doctor can give you a form to turn into your insurance and you can get the same machine they use to test your INR at the doctors office, as well as supplies. Also after you get your free INR meter then go to WILBURN medical and buy your strips, insurance will only pay for 6 strips  a month so if you have to retest or make a mistake you will be short strips if you check weekly like I do, and I'm 90% in line. So if you buy them from WILBURN I get 48 strips at 1 time and there like 3 bucks each. Good luck - Dan

• Posted

Thanks for your note, Meck. I didn't know about my insurance paying for a test meter, and that's good info. However for a couple of reasons, I'll skip it for now. For one thing, I live very clolse to the clinic where I get my INR done so that's no hassle. Also, my INR is remarkably stable: I haven't had to change my dosage in several years, despite dosing myself with turmeric.. If either of my circumstances should change, I will definitely look into my insurance coverage!

Cheers, james80202

• Posted

Your welcome James, I just like to let life time user know about it the doctors wont tell you about it. Also 1 more note on the subject, if you do decide to get your own meter, they set you up with a direct e-mail to you personal doctors office where as every time you test your INR you report it on very nice spread sheet that is free and it is immediately sent and reviewed by your doctor. If you are out of range the doctors office will call you and advise what to do.

​Take Care

Dan  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.