Turmeric for joint pain

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am due to have a knee replacement in about 6 weeks time.  A couple of months ago I started taking turmeric with black pepper capsules on the recommendation of a friend.  I didn't hold out much hope for them but they seem to be working miracles!

?I couldn't walk down hills or steps without awful pain but since taking the turmeric, although I still have stiffness, the pain is much less and I can walk much further. 

I still intend to have the operation as I have seen my X rays and I know I am bone on bone in two places but I'm wondering whether taking these capsules after the TKR will speed up my recovery.  

Does anyone have experience of this?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Mary I swear by tumeric, after my three months of immobility last year I developed a bed sore on my elbow, didn't realise what it was until physio saw it on the Friday and said she would get flesh nurse to come in after weekend, I got my partner to make a water based paste and changed it ever three hours, by Monday afternoon when she turned up all the bad pus etc had dried up and it was looking so much better so she said to carry on and she would come back Thursday, by then all that was left was a slight scar and a very very yellow elbow, amazing antiinflammatory properties as well as you say good olive oil and black pepper as a carrier, no harm in using it after I'm sure as I believe it encourages the body to heal, I would ask though as I'm not sure about interaction with blood thinners.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Alexandria.  Yes I will check with the hospital first just in case, but hopefully it will be okay to keep taking it as I'm sure it will help the healing process.

• Posted

I did stop taking it a couple of weeks before surgery just in case.
  • Posted

I take turmeric with black pepper and coconut oil in porridge daily.

It is a natural anti inflammatory.

All the best wishes for your operation!

You may like to go to my profile by clicking on the image next to my name. I kept a journal of my own knee replacement journey, and I have been told by several people they found it helpful to read, or skim through. There is an abridged version which is shorter as well! It has a lot of useful suggestions and information.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.