Turmeric supplements and RA

Posted , 8 users are following.

Hi I have noticed quite a lot of people use turmeric supplements for pain relief so I thought it might work for me. I researched on line and all seemed to be good. I took my first capsule today at lunch. By 3 o'clock I started feeling very dizzy and fell over (luckily on to the bed). I felt drunk and extremely unwell so I googled side effects of turmeric. Apparently if you are on diabetes medication turmeric can be problematic. It is now 9 o'clock and still I feel as if I have had several glasses of Jack Daniels and I have not had even a teaspoonful. I am feeling quite down at the moment. Just thought I would post so others don't make the same mistake.

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ruth. Sorry t hear you feel rotten. I looked at turmeric after reading lots of positive stuff but also saw that there warnings like with all things. I guess for some people, it really helps. For others, not so lucky. I hope the feelings wear off soon and you will feel a bit better but do see you doctor if not. Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Ruth,

Sorry to hear this. I am on metformin, is that what you are? I haven't tried it yet luckily!

Things just work so different for everyone. I'd read such good things for biotin for hair loss and the last 2 days i have taken it have felt like my head is splitting in two!

I hope you feel better really soon, this illness is bad enough by itself! **hugs**

• Posted

Thank you. Yes I am on Methotrexate. My painmeds have been changed from diclofenac, which worked to Naproxen which doesn't. Again, I can't have diclofenac because I have diabetes. I really had hoped the turmeric would work.

I know it is different, but when I had chemo many years ago I was advised to have my hair cut short because it would slow down the hair loss. It was better because it was horrible seeing my lovely long hair sitting on the pillow each morning. I also used an ice paack wrapped in a towel on my head 2 or 3 times a week.

I am also losing hair on MX but it is more thinning than falling out. I hope you stop having hair loss soon, surely it cannot keep on and on.

• Posted

Ruth that must have been stay. I looked it up as with any medication or supplement diabetes is a factor.

tumeric can lower blood sugar levels.

it is recommended that turmeric should be avoided with diabetic medications which treat hyperglycemia, as together they can lower glucose levels drastically.

• Posted

Hello Ruth,

my goodness that must have been so scary for you.  like you, I've been reading about it in the last few days and seriously thought I would give it a try, but I definitely won't be doing that now.  

I'm sorry you had to go through what you did, but thank you for warning us about it. Take care. x

• Posted

Bit late to tell you this - but you should ALWAYS check with a pharmacist - not the counter staff, the duty pharmacist - before taking ANY OTC (over the counter) products, whether it is supplements or non-prescription medications, providing the pharmacist with a full list of all you take. The health store staff are also not reliable.

Hope you are feeling better this morning!

• Posted

Ruth, see PM, I check on a drug interactions site, it stated Turmeric reacts in minor way with 74 different drugs, so this very unusual reaction To Turmeric.
  • Posted

I'm also diabetic but the turmeric makes no difference to sugar levels.   Perhaps because I an insulin dependant and can therefore vary my insulin intake.

• Posted

I looked up all my diabetes meds, trajenta, and metformin and there was nothing indicated so I looked again the turmeric and the side effects of that show dizziness. I did see on one site however, turmeric should not be taken if on diabetediabetes medication. It also said that it really only applies if you are type 2 on meds not insulin. My blobloods are all normal again and I feel lots better.

Thanks very much for your interest.

• Posted

If you look up 'drug interactions' you can enter all your meds and it will list any interactions between your meds.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.