turned down for sickness benefit

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi there and thank you for reading my concerns and hopefully someone guide me

I have yesterday been told that i don't qualify for sickness benefit anymore after attending a medical - I sufffer from COPD and Iron defficency aneamia .. The tests at the medical ofc i could do - Its an illness that stops me walking up stairs and doing hosework and tireness etc - a test does not show tiredness .. Today I have to now sign on at the job center - I struggle to look after my house and 2 dependant children never mind work - Its so unfair sad please if someone could give me any advice - I am completely alone , no partner or help at all .. thanks

1 like, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

So so sorry to hear that Karen it's so wrong I would go to cotzern advice and apeal may I ask what kind of texts did they ask you to do xx
    • Posted

Bend over , lie on your back . raise legs etc . ofc i can do these .they also ask alot of question about time .. ie . how long it takes you to walk to the shop etc ...
  • Posted

Hi Karen,

Sickness Benefit, what do you mean by this? Was it Incapacity Benefit or ESA with a Support Group added? If so, which one?

I have only asked these questions because I am trying to get a better picture of why your Sickness Benefit has been stopped. Are you still employed or has the DWP stopped ESA, PIP or DLA payments?

Once I know what sort of situation you are in, then I help you by advising you what to do. Or I can help you or put you through to someone that can.

I am assuming you are in receipt of Child Tax Credit and Child Benefit, but surely you were not told to apply for Job Seekers Allowance?

We can help point you in the correct direction, and how to avoid pitfalls, and advise you on medicals, which should have a 28 day period where you can appeal, or ask for an extension while you gather information regarding your case.

Hope I have given you a better insight into your predicament, and that we can help you. If the medical was by ATOS, then appealing will be easier for you. The DWP is trying clear their current backlog created by ATOS, so they do not want people adding to it. Once it is cleared, then ATOS is being dropped and USA based Maximus is taking over, whom have worse reports than ATOS according to US citizens.

If you can clear some of the questions I have asked above that would be a great start.

Regards,

Les.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi and thanks for your reply

It was ESA - they scored me with not one single point after i had my medical with ATOS my paymets were from DWP yes

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Not a single point, I did not think that was even possible, did they even question you over your ESA Application? Well, at least you have 28 days to build up a case and appeal against the decision, or even ask for an extension considering the outcome of the Award Notification.

Let me get this correct, you have no partner and two children to cope with, are they both around the same and sex? There is a reason I asked this, which I will point out to you.

Did you fill the ESA Form in yourself, or did you get help form someone, e.g. CAB or any Advice Service? Not a single point is like saying that they thought you have lied - that is not the case and you should appeal against it.

Do you have a Consultant of any kind?

Did you go in to details with Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and how it affects you, it differs from person to person in many ways, this needs to be pointed out in your case.

The problematic traps on the application forms can basically cause you problems, some questions are very simple, but there are some logical thinking questions intermingled which can through you off course and even confuse some people.

ATOS still rejecting doesn't surprise me, but they won't expect you to appeal when you scored '0' points. That's where you can use this to your advantage, never let them 'win' especially in your circumstances.

It's perfectly obvious from your original post that you need help, not Job Seekers allowance - for a start you could not hold a full-time job down, and I would think this would also apply to part-time.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Karen,

A quick question.... and it can make a big difference.

When you initially applied for ESA, did you ask for the forms over the phone, or submit your full application online?

I just took a look at the ESA Application form online and its alternative, which would give you a better chance all round. Which they do not indicate that you can do.

I cannot remember, but did you say you kept a copy of the original claim, you can use this, but had much more to it, I know that sounds stupid, but keeping copies of all DWP letters and forms is a good way to keep all documentation together.

Regards,

Les.

• Posted

Hi les :smile

Yes i am a single parent and both boys , one has tourettes syndrome and anxiety issues ... so thats a handful alone - i batttle to get help with him too - 8 months down the line and still waiting to see somewith to help him .. If i wanted to pour pills down his neck - its easy sorted pfft

ANy ways thats not the ussue lol

They kinda took notes - like I could get my pills out my bag alone

I attended on my own - I am an honest person - i can walk and far but i have to stop every few mins to breath properly - I can even rush but my breathing is awful and painful

They made comments that i could put my scarf on

Basically none of the tests aprt from blowing in a tube .. The form that they used was one i filled in over a year ago . I can't remember what i put down but my copd is worse now

Thank you very very much for your help

• Posted

Hi Karen,

Not really an ideal situation at all then?

Firstly, do you have a copy of the original form that was filled, prior to this appointment? What we need to do, is get them looking at the situation from your perspective, not theirs. A few notes will not express what you have to put up with day in and day out, I would like to see them try.

The trouble is you cannot take a rude approach, so that is out the window - we need them to allow you more time to get your notes together, and a daily diary is a good start - remember, they need to know when and how long each pain lasts. So, basically we need to note down their ages and any issues, what you mentioned previously.

Do you suffer from asthma at all? They used 'out-of-date' in your case, which is a good case to ask for an appeal - because they do not know your day-to-day routines at all. Do you have anyone that helps you out, with your boys? If you did, they could provide a back-up statement for your case.

Let's see how we get on with this - no need to hurry, it's nearly Xmas so I guess your boys are worse than ever!lol  I know ours were, not now though, we give them cash to buy their own presents, because it is so darn awkward buying for them. My daughter went to town this afternoon, with £265.00 in her pocket - we didn't give her that much - lol. We gave her £150.00, the rest is what she makes from school, selling cheap sweets, and some Nintendo DS games and her Limited Edition console which got her £88.00. It was still in the original box, which she was going to throw away when she was younger, she is glad she listened to us now...lol

Anyway, it's 1:15am - and Sunday roast tomorrow, cooked in out new oven. We bought a Hotpoint one, in Littlewoods online it was £699.99 and we got it on offer from Tesco for £403.00 - big difference, but then Littlewoods throw huge interest on items before selling. Look at Brighthouse in January this year, they increased their APR from 33.3% to 66.6%.... we never by from Brighthouse or catalogues or Argos, that throw cards at you, with ridiculous APR rates.

Regards,

Les.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.