TURP

Posted , 7 users are following.

Anybody in their 50's or 60's recently had aTURP operation and suffering from retro- ejaculation. How do you feel about it?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I am also in early 50's and scheduled for TURP on June 1st. In near future I will be able to share my experience.

Did you already have TURP?

• Posted

Steven, than how bad is really RE? Does orgasam become less intense? How about feeling during orgasam? I heard sex becomes totally dissatisfied and people start avoiding it. I am young and it will be big challenge for me. My wife is very supportive person and very positive about finding way to make it great again. I hope it won't be that bad as other on this forum describe.

I asked to many questions. Sorry.

• Posted

Hi I am due to have TURP No 3 June 13th. Good luck for tomorrow mate.

Robin

• Posted

PLEASE reconsider the TURP. It has many possible side effects that are far worse than retrograde ejaculation, including incontinence, impotence, etc. Consider a PAE, or Urolift. You can find a great deal of information on both of these procedures, and the TURP by reading other posts on this site, and by searching for these topics on the web. This is the rest of your life you are talking about. You can have a TURP after a urolift or a PAE if you have your heart set on it, but the side effects of a TURP are forever. Do the research and make your own decision. A PAE is done by an interventional radiologist, not a urologist, so urologists make no money on it and will never recommend it.

Neal

• Posted

Hi MK51151,

Why are you having a TURP so early on in life. I had this done at 59 years of age and I wish I had never had it done. The trouble was my then urologist warned me of a bad prostate when I was your age. I took the Flomax he gave me, but it didn't do anything so I stopped taking it and in jumping ahead to 2009 I had quite a few bladder stones (6), my bladder was 1/2 full of stail urine and I had 3 kidney stones ( I think more ) . Even though I was peeing very badly, it was a case of prostatitis which brought me to him. I was in such discomfort that I wanted the prostate out. It was around Christmas time and I remember when I went in to see him for a urine flow my flow was only 3.4 cc/sec. He gave me the option to have the procedure the next day ( the 22 of Dec. 2009 ). I wasn't thinking properly so I took it. I knew my urine stream wasn't very good, but I just wanted to get rid of the prostatits. I still have the Prostatitis to this day and now I'm also stuck with retro-ejaculation which I hate. Iv'e been very depressed for the last 61/2 years. My Father had the Turp done in 1992 and he turned out alright. Not the same for me.

What are your symptoms? Please get back with me and maybe I can help you. Psychologically I couldn't handle the so called procedure. I know I had bad prostate issue symptoms, but don't know if I needed the turp. That's why I posted on this site to see how others in my age bracket handled the procedure psychologically. I need some reassurance. Maybe then I can give you some reassurance. It's a question of how you feel about your manhood. I hope that I made the right decision and I'm wondering what yours is right now to have this done at 51. What is your urine stream like? Do you have 6 or 7 bladder stones like I did and are you emptying completely? Get back with me my friend. Retro is no joke and I would give my body and sole only to get it back again.

Steve

• Posted

Thanks Steven for your lengthy response. I appreciate it. My problem started in 2013 and from June of this year till now, I don't know how many times I saw urologist. My issues with BPH have been progressing visit after visit. I started with Tamsulosin once a day for about 2 1/2 years until November of 2015 when I had PVR of 223 and Uro increased Tamsulosin to 2x day. Since  July 2015 to end of November I was also taking Finesteride that totally killed my libido and erections and I was totally anorgasmic in reare occasions when I had sex, no orgasam, no sensation no ejaculate and my breast started growing - gynecomastia. In November 2015 visited new urologist who told to stop Finesteride and increased Tamsulosin. On my next visit in February of this year my PVR was 354 ml which was not good at all. I had that heavy feeling in my lower abdomen all the times. I started waking up with low blood pressure in the morning most of the time around 90-95 systolic and was extremely tired without energy and motivation for anything.

In March I had my 3rd cystoscopy that reveled severe and complete obstruction by lateral lobes of prostate and my median lobe was protruding inton bladder mouth. Ct abdomen and pelvis showed that my prostate was indenting bladder and radiologist mentioned in the report as possible mass in the bladder and recommended cystoscopy for clarification. Cystoscopy also revealed bladder trabeculation gr. I that was not present on cystoscopy in July 2015. My flow was so slow tiny stream, slow to start and was stoping multiple times while urinating. Urinating at night was not too bad, most nights twice. On April 3rd, I had AUR and went to ER for catheterisation. I chose not to have permanent foley inserted, so started doing self catheterisation mostly twice a day, mornings and evening to empty my bladder completely. In between I am able to urinate but not to complete emptying of the bladder.

That is my story with BPH.

My TURP is in 2 days. I am positive that I will be able to regain my life back.

I know recovery will take some time and it won't be easy task but I am ready for that.

• Posted

Hi,

I don't know if my urinary isues related to my Prostatitis or not. Will respond more later.

Steve

• Posted

I had a post vioding residual of 250 cc/ sec, so I guess I was in bad a shape a syou were. MK51151. Also had median lobe. 9 years of a bladder that wasn't emptying completely which resulted in bladder stones. I try to tell myself for ways I may have needed the turp as for other ways I maybe did not need it. I AM driving myself crazy over this as I would never do anything to harm my body. but by having the Turp I feel as if my body were harmed.  I am trying to save you from these similar kinds of thoughts. Does anybody on here feel as if I moved too quickly or if things just were eventually going to go this way ???

Steve 

• Posted

I wonder if having the TURP is going to hurt me because I have Prostatitis and probably had it before surgery. Is there no hope for anyone who had a surgical procedure due to Prostatitis. The Dr. did the procedure because of  very weak stream, but I was in pain due to Prostatitis and thought the procedure would make it go away. It didn't !!!

Steve

• Posted

I am 63 had TURP in Jan of this year, it does take some getting used to, but orgasm is the same.  
  • Posted

Had my first TURP at 50 and yes have retro but the sensation of orgasm remains. Sometimes a bit of cum oozes out but not always. For me personally the retro was no big deal.

20 years on I am waiting to have my second TURP but due to acute retention have a Foley in place until my surgery which is scheduled for August.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.