TURP

Posted , 14 users are following.

can someone advise me ...I had testing through my urologist and he said my prostate was enlarged size of quarter of orange I had uroflow testing and ultrasound which showed that my urine is not freely flowing too much urine still sitting in my bladder. I feelbloating feeling most of time. Get up during the night to release urine but tend to only release partial amounts ....

i am not sure about the surgery......I asked abou medications and he said in my case he didn't think they would work due to size of enlargement ....

please ser guide me someone 

Darryl 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Darryl,  this is as good a forum as there is, for discussion of your situation.  

Question:  what is the grams-weight of your prostate?  "Quarter of an orange" does not say much.  Also, how much is the residual amount in the bladder?

You have numerous options to consider, and I (and others) will surely recommend that you take time to read about them and make your own choice.  We have numerous horror stories hear that started with the patient trusting that the urologist knew all/knew best.  They rarely, if ever, do.

There's the Urolift (my choice), PAE, green light surgery, and of course "the gold standar,"  aka. TURP, which a few of our members have successfully endured, and the rest of us have avoided like the proverbial plague.

Also, while you sort things out, I would recommend that you consider learning to  use intermittent cathetering.  I have been doing it for almost 2 years, and for the most part sleep through the night--- a blessing at my age (67)!!!!

• Posted

I am 55 years old, he showed me my flow should by 184cc but it is retaining 164cc ...not sure grams/weight of prostate. I have to see him on the 27 July ....I asked him about medications and he said he wouldn't

think that it would work for me ....

i am in Australia and my urologist is at Cabrini Hospital I have seen him twice and only had one uroflow test that's it. Should I get a second opinion??

as the only symptoms I get is bloating feeling and get up during the night to go to the toilet. And wherever I am in the public and busting I have to go. 

Please help me  

• Posted

Your numbers are a bit confusing.  Flow is measured in cc/second (or minute), e.g., 100 cc/10 seconds.  Retaining 164cc is not alarming, although it is more than you want to be holding!  And you can call the uro-office, and ask for your gram weight of the prostate.  This info is useful, as, for example, the Urolift procedure is performed on prostates weighing between 40 and 80 grams.  You should know whetheryou qualify to consider that option...  Also, you need to know whether you have a "central or medial lobe."  Again, cathing before going out or before going to bed would relieve you, as it were, of those anxious situations...

• Posted

Check out urologists in your area in on-line reviews.  Here we have Yelp!  and other sites.  The reviews should be illuminating!
    • Posted

Call the office where you ahd the exams done.  Your records should have an approximate weight listed (not the qualitative evaluation the doc gave you!)
    • Posted

It is a growth of the prostate that some have, some don't.  Usually we have two side lobes.   Current Urolift procedures can't be done if there is a medial lobe present, although they are working on work-arounds for that.  If you have a medial lobe, it rules out Urolift as an option.

• Posted

The answer to your question about which is the best urologist for a second opinion.

Call or go to the nearest university that teaches medicine. Ask to speak to the head professor of the urology dept. for a recommendation for a second opinion.

• Posted

Darryl..... look into PAE..... it appears to be effective and is relatively non-invasive.  I had HoLEP 6 months ago and am very pleased with the results, but didn't know about PAE at the time.  Good luck.

• Posted

Before rushing to surgery Darryl, check into other options.  In the meantime, see if your urologist's office can instruct you on how to do an intermittent self cathertization just in case you ever have an acute retention event.  Arrange to have the necessary supplies on hand, and you can avoid a lot of pain and misery, danger, and a trip to emergency services. if you ever have a total blockage. 

I had TURP surgery a bit over 4 months ago, then a second procedure 2 months ago, and I've been totally incontinent for the last 4 months.  It restricts me to the point I feel my life is about 80% over.   I don't feel confident enough to fly to seem children and grandchildren across the country, having to wear pads and pull ups 24 x 7.   About the best I can manage is an hour of errands, and that's after washing up and putting on dry pads/ or Depends.

I know my situation is apparently not that common, but  it is a risk of the TURP procedures, including the Green Laser that was my first procedure.  Before the surgeries, I was only bothered with 3-5 trips to the toilet per night.  Now, I still get up mulptiple times per night, sometimes to change the Depends pull ups.

Look into options like Urolift or PAE.  (google UNC urology PAE to find a useful link on PAE)    And your bloated feeling may be a separate issue, unrelated to your BPH.

• Posted

The only thing your urologist is right about is that meds will not help.

Unfotunately the procedures other than TURP and Laser are not available everywhere, many will not be covered by insurance, and it is not easy to find a practitioer to do them without traveling a distance.

Therefore the the gold standard or old standard of radical surgery is the first recommendation of most urologists.

• Posted

Daryl,

Get your uroflo and ultrasound official reports and get a 2nd opinion if you don't feel comfortable with the urologist you have seen. You may very well benefit from a procedure whether it be (PAE) Prostatic Artery Embolization or a turp, or one of the laser surgeries. But it seems to me that some of the traditonal generic BPH meds would likely give you some partial relief while you look into the severity or your condition and the potential procedures available to you. Ask your urologist(s) if its appropriate for you try a small Rx of generic tamsulosin right away to try to get immediate relief while you decide your next step. I would advise you to get moving on this though, so you don't damage your kidneys.

Good luck.

Lawrence06345

• Posted

Darryl,  Lawrence is correct about kidney damage.  Which raises another point: permanent damage to the bladder through chronic over-filling and the resultant muscle-stretching.  When my bladder blocked completely (Aug 2014), the ER docs drained 2.5 LITERS of urine!  The results are that I am now dealing with a stretched-out bladder that does not contract to "True Empty" on its own.  Instead, it feels empty at about 300cc, the point where we normally feel a strong need to empty.  

Making sure that your over-full bladder gets truly emptied (via internittant cathing) is vital to your keeping your bladder able to empty itself!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.