TURP

Posted , 14 users are following.

can someone advise me ...I had testing through my urologist and he said my prostate was enlarged size of quarter of orange I had uroflow testing and ultrasound which showed that my urine is not freely flowing too much urine still sitting in my bladder. I feelbloating feeling most of time. Get up during the night to release urine but tend to only release partial amounts ....

i am not sure about the surgery......I asked abou medications and he said in my case he didn't think they would work due to size of enlargement ....

please ser guide me someone 

Darryl 

0 likes, 34 replies

34 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

There are a several options for treatment, different technologies.  Everyone's different, and responses vary also.  That said, many guys find the effects of tamsulosin, flomax, rapaflo etc  unacceptable.  I thought it felt like something close to chemical castration, otherwise called reduced semen volume.  I had a very good outcome from a urolift procedure, the company is neotract.  And I've seen several other procedures discussed.  Good luck with your research.

• Posted

regardless of what your uro says try some drugs first, before committing to any procedure, some are risky, I am on Alfuzosin for one year and have no side effects, before I was for 4 years on Flomax/Tamsulosin with dry ejaculation and didn't like it that's why I switched to Alfuzosin, the same alfa blocker drug but with less side effects

• Posted

Hi Darryl,

I am very sorry to hear about your condition but you have certainly come to right place for help. Here is my own experience which may be helpful.

The first thing you need to do is eliminate prostate cancer as a possibility. Needle biopsies are done but they have their own st of problems. I would suggest you look at 2 liquid biopsies which can detect cancer at the molecular level. One is the University of Michigan MiPS urine test and the other is the Apifiny blood test. Once that is ok you need to get a detailed picture of your prostate using an MRI or TRUS. This will tell you  if there is a median lobe near the bladder neck - very key. It will also tell you the size and shape which is important for screening many procedures. For example my prostate has grown to 300gm (!) but I still qualify for PAE (next month at UNC) because I do not have a median lobe. But the large size excludes me from TURP, GLL, HoLEP, REZUM and others. If PAE doenot work then all I have left is an open prostatectomy before my bladder/kidneys are damaged.

On the drugs I strongly suggest you try them. Everyone reacts differently. Ten years ago I almost went into retention so I startean alpha blocker ( alfuzosin ) and it really helped me fors everal years with not much side effects. Then about 5 years ago when I got worst my uro wanted to do TURP but I deced to add Avodart (dutasteride) and it has helped me all these years though the side effects are noticeable but ok compared to surgery. But now my options are limited. Still please do yourself a favor and try this if possible. I find that PSA values are not very diagnostic by themselves but trends over time may show things. I wish you all the best.

Neil

• Posted

I forgot to mention you should also get a cystscopy to see the condition of your urethra and lobes as well as look directly in your bladder for stones and other problems. Also you need an abdominal ultrasound to check our kidneys and bladder. All these tests are easy and cheap and will give you the information you need to make a decision. It would also be nice to test your prostatic fluid during a digital rectum exam (DRE) for infection. Good luck.
    • Posted

I noticed that you were excluded from HoLEP due to the size of your prostate. Second opinion might be in order - paper from South Korea indicates eficacy of HoLEP for folks with prostates larger than 200g.

Google for "Efficacy and safety of holmium laser enucleation of the prostate for extremely large prostatic adenoma in patients with benign prostatic hyperplasia"

• Posted

Hello Neil,

I hope that your PAE goes well.  My understanding is that the procedure is most effective for larger prostates; have you been told that?

You wrote that you still qualified for PAE because you do not have a median lobe.  Were you told that a median lobe would be an issue?

Most likely, your PAE will be successful.  If not, you still qualify for HoLEP.  HoLEP has been performed on prostates up to 600g.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Mark

• Posted

Hi Darryl

Your situation sounds very similar to what I went through about 6 years ago. I was 54 at the time and my quality of life was terrible. I was lucky if I could void more than 100 ml at a time and my whole daily schedule seemed to be dictated by my washroom breaks. I went to a urologist who did a cystoscopy and confirmed an enlarged prostate that was acting like a flapper valve in a toilet. I was scared to death about going the turp route and tried some medications like Flomax which freaked me out as it cause retrograde ejaculation. I finally decided to go under the knife and had the TURP which was possibly the best decision I ever made in my life. After the operation, I p*ssed blood for about 2 weeks and have no retrograde ejac or incontinence which are possible side effects. My advice to you is this. Get a second opinion for sure unless you  totally trust your urologist, he or she has a great track record and the procedure is done in a hospital with at least 1 or 2 nights stay. (I have heard horror stories about this procedure being done in a doctors office with a release the same day..having to self catheter afterwards and excessive bleeding that wouldn't stop etc). I had my TURP done by the head of urology at a major teaching teaching hospital in Toronto, Canada and it couldn't have been more professional. This is your manhood you're talking about and you don't want to take any chances. Have the scope done first and go from there. Research your urologist and make sure that they are the best. Good luck.

• Posted

I'm Very happy that it worked out for you..  You were one of the lucky one that did not get retro.  5% of men  will not get it. 95% will  It all depends on the doctor and if they are careful with the bladder neck.  But that is a hell of a chance to take.  You did not like the retro from being on the pill.  But there are many pills that will not cause that.  I like you were on a few meds that did that to me.  There was no way I was going to live like that.  That is why I had a Uro-lift.  It worked great and my orgasm are very intense.  That is the way I want to keep them.  He needs to try a few other options before he take the first thing a doctor offers.  Ken

• Posted

Trebronus.....I have to ask.  Being that you had retro ejaculation with the meds that you were taking and did not like it.  Why did you still have the turp done knowing that you had a 95% chance of retro.  What if you would have it when you had sex the first time.  Coul you have handle it.  I will never let a doctor do that to me.  He is not going to core out my prostate no matter what.  I will never give up one thing for another..  In April I had 3 blood clogs around my prostate. Was bleeding and had bladder spasms.  Before I would sign for the surgery I made sure the doctor which was not mine.  Sign a paper that he would not do anything but stop the bleeding and my prostate was not to be cut or section off for any reason. He did sign it.  I told him that if he did not sign I would not have the surgery.  Life is to short not to enjoy all of it.  I have read many storys that men have it done and end up not being able to have sex and or end up with retro.  And they stop having sex because they do not enjoy it.  Take care and God belss  Ken
    • Posted

HI Ken

When I was on the meds, not only did I have retro but they didn't seem to help my urination issue very much. I was told that there was a chance of retro with the TURP but not as high as 95%. I think I was given 50/50. That being said, my quality of life was not good and I personally don't like taking synthetic medication as is, as my liver has to process all this and I am already on high blood pressure meds and drink a fair bit of booze. Again, I really trusted my urologist, felt confortable with him and for what it's worth, I conferred with my higher self in a meditative process and got an indication that all would be ok. You have to believe in this, but I am a spiritual individual and do rely on more intangible means for answers or clarifications.

• Posted

Yes we have to believe that god will do what is best.  But I did read that in a post about 95% retro also I did read a post that said 80% and I also read that you will get retro.  I guest it is how good your doctor is.  I have seen the procedure done and in this on they distroryed the bladder neck.  That is what stopes the sperm from going in the bladder.  I am glad that your doctor did a great job and he made you whole again.  But I would not take that chance.  When I was on the meds and had retro it was like nothing.  You had the bult up and them it goes flat  No way was I going to put up with that.  Pills do not bother me.  I have suger, high blood pressure, a stent in my heart and A-fib.  All is fine with me now.  I take one day at a time and I will enjoy myself  Take care and god bless.  We all must make our choise for ourself and we are the ones that have to live with it...Ken  . 
  • Posted

Darryl.  Sorry about your problem First of all you are the one to decide what you have done.  Not him.  He should be doing what you want.  If you want to try the pills you should try them.  There are many out there that can help you.  They can relax the bladder and make the prostate smaller.  If he still tells you no go and see another doctor.  Turp should not be the first thing to do.  To me he is rushing you into surgery.  Maybe that is all he knows. Look up on your own diffrent procedures there have been many men on here that have tryed herbs and thing to help the prostate. To me it done not sound to bad.  A year ago I had the urolift done.  My urologist told me the same thin that my prostate was the size of a lemon.  My lobes were touching with the urolift it pulls the 2 lobes apart.  Not saying that a turp would not help but there have been sometime that it have to be done over.  Get has much information you can on anything be you pick a procedure.  Did your doctor tell you about the side effects of the turp Look it up..  Ken  
  • Posted

Hey Darryl,

I'm 51 years old and had the TURP 18 months ago. With me it was recommended over drugs due to the rapid inward growth of my prostate. I know many others have had problems with the TURP but it worked very well with me. Within a week I was relieving normally and sleeping through the night. No pain, no discomfort. Good luck!

• Posted

I am very happy that you are doing so well.  How are you dealing with retro?   At 61 Sex is still in my life and I will never give up anything just to pee better.  There are to many other procedures out there that will do the same thing.  To many doctors push the Turp because that's all they know.  Most of them Take care and God Bless  Ken 

• Posted

I wanted to share my personal experience with you Darryl  as I went through a TURP myself at age 54. I spent  lot of time typing up my story but the forum deleted it and it was never published even though I followed all the posting rules. I am not happy with this as I feel my story would have been beneficial to your situation. Sorry

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.