Turp

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm in 3 months now since my turp.and I've done 2 ultrasound the first 1 having a residual of 32ml and the last is 0.but the problem I still have un uncomfortable feeling in my bladder.feeling that there is urine in my bladder after finish urinate.and I wake up 3 times at night to urinate.and also I can't wear a garterize shorts because of feeling tight in me waist.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Your bladder probably had emptying problem for so long so it takes some time to get back to normal. I see that as explanation why you still wake 3x to urinate during the night.

Your urologist should prescribe you something to minimize your bladder contractions and to eliminate uncomfortable feeling. I used Oxybutinin 5 mg and it really helped. Good thing , you are not retaining urine in your bladder according to bladder scan. Your PVR was 0 (zero).

Your making good progress.

MK

• Posted

Glad you brought up this issue on the forum because this very thing came up in a discussion with my uro recently. He said that he could do a TURP or Greenlight laser, but the issue of frequency/urgency might remain, as it might be a bladder issue, not an obstruction issue. The fact that you have very low or 0 PVR after emptying your bladder is excellent. Have you measured the rate of flow in ml/sec? Your uro should give you a beaker and you pee in it and count the seconds. An unobstructed rate is 21ml/sec, but if your flow is still obstructed it can be much lower. Mine is 3.5ml/sec so it takes me along time to empty my bladder - and my PVR is still high. My last two readings were in the 170 range. I have the urgency to go to the bathroom every couple of hours day and night. I am scheduled for some bladder training exercises and nerve stimulation treatment called PTNS (Percutaneous tibial nerve stimulation) - a treatment that is used to help with overactive bladder syndrome. If one has a prostate obstruction ongoing for a long time, the bladder may "learn" to want to go to the bathroom at short intervals. The goal of PTNS or normal bladder training is to reprogram or rehabilitate the bladder so this urge to go is suppressed. 

• Posted

Hearing your outcome makes me wonder if I should go through with it tTURP? Or should I try to find another alternative? My symptoms are great for B pH and the urologist insists that I have the procedure which they have scheduled soon. Should I cancel the procedure and try medications first or less evasive way? Being in Canada healthcare is free. But if you cancel surgery the doctors may just not treat you.
  • Posted

Hey Edmon, can I ask, do you have retro-ejaculation or any other sex related changes?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.