TURP and bladder complications

Posted , 14 users are following.

Hello everyone,

Five days ago, I had TURP surgery for an enlarged prostate (BPH). As background, I'm a 58-year old male who had been taking medecine (Flomax) for about two years for BPH. Then one day, the medecine stopped working and I had a severe case of urinary retention. My urologist sent me to the Emergency Department for a catheter, proscribed more medecine and scheduled me for the TURP. 

I had the catheter removed four separate times in hopes that I could void, each time unsuccessfully voiding. Two weeks prior to the TURP, I met with the urologist and insisted he remove the catheter. Reluctantly, he agreed and I was able to finally urinate. So now following the surgery, I don't seem to be able to urinate. It's frustrating! The doctor said that my bladder had probably expanded so much because of the urinary retention and does not place the pressure it needs to urinate.

He's ordered me back to the Emergency Department for yet another catheter and said we'll leave it in place for two weeks then switch to a self-catheterization procedure. I assume the idea is to train my bladder again.

But, I could use the advice of anyone and everyone who's gone through this. I'm very frustrated because my urologist, despite being gentle, doesn't seem to explain or do his job fully.

I'm doing everything I can think of right now to urinate before I go back to the Emergency Department. I don't want to go! 

Anyone have any advice, suggestions or recommendations?

Thank you!

0 likes, 55 replies

55 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Take every ones' advice and do CIC. No need for meds and you can clean and reuse your catheters. Wash hands, rinse catheters in warm water before and after, store in 99% isopropyl alcohol. I have been doing this for three months now and no infections. Also swab yourself before and after, and don't forget the ky jelly. You will then have complete control. All thanks to Jim.   Best of luck, Paul

• Posted

Paul and Stevadi,

Unless your insurance doesn't cover catheters, I suggest against re-using them in the beginning. 

Besides the xtra inconvenience of washing and drying, you will be limited to externally lubricated catheters. 

Both of the catheters I recommended are single-use, hydrophillic catheters. The hydrophillic coating is more slippery than catheters

that use external lube, and in general less irritating especially in the beginning. 

On the other hand, if you have to pay out of pocket, nothing wrong with re-using an external lube catheter. Catheters have been re-used around the world for many years and if you're careful with the washing and drying there should not be any complications. 

Jim

• Posted

If you have to pay out of pocket there are wholesale distributors, the price ends up around the same as had you used insurance - bit of a scam going on probably
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about your issues.  Have you looked into CIC....self cath?   There are threads on here that go into great detail.  A guy buy the name of Jim is very good with it.  He can give you the particulars.  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.