TURP and Blood Clots

Posted , 13 users are following.

On August 25, 2017 I had a TURP done at The VA in Connecticut and everything seemed to be going well. Even though my Pre Surgery counseling and my Post counseling was real unprofessional I have sought help through my own research. As I said everything was going fine I went to my post follow up appointment and told the doctor I was doing fine. This morning about 1:00 am I'm in the bathroom and my urine is deep blood red and there are these blood clots some small but some very large. Is this normal or should I go to the hospital because of an infection or some other medical complicatiion

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Blood clots can happen in the first six months Drink plenty of water to help wash it out but if it continues see you doctor.. 
  • Posted

Dude, that is normal.  A day to 5 days after the op, there is no more blood and you think great.  The inside of the urethra has been entirely sliced away and a new channel much bigger cut inside the prostate all cut flesh which IS the new urethra there.  Which is why peeing hurts for some, for the first fortnight, deep inside.  Now, as the scar tissue across the heat-annealed arteries drops off, clots form and are peed out with tiny little bits of scar tissue, at between 2 weeks and 2.5 months.  In my case 2 weeks, for 1 week, then it stopped for good.  As long as the clots don't clog you up, even if there is a jolt of surprising sensation as you pee out a big one,  I think it's OK.  Was for me, anyway.  And I was really worried at the amount of blood but it doesn't take much to make pee look scarily red. 

• Posted

Always a good idea to check with your doc. We are not docs in here and everyone is different. That being said you will bleed for a while. As scabs fall off and reform. The stuff you saw may not have been clots but scabs and clots. Use a urinal if you really want to see the actual color as you heal. You think it's stopped but it hasn't. I thought it had stopped til I went to docs for follow up. Urine sample was dark orange. Give it time. Don't strain yourself( lifting, etc etc) . That will make you bleed.

• Posted

I am 17 weeks post Turp and still have dark bloody urine when I exert too much such as jogging.
  • Posted

Why is anyone getting a TURP with all the other alternatives?  The only people pushing this are typically Urologists who know nothing else or don't have a financial stake in the alternatives.  Look at PAE, please.  It changed my life for the better and was a very easy and simple procedure.  TURP is a butcher job which will ruin your sex life and cause many other side effects.

• Posted

He said at the VA (I'm in England) but what I hear about VA hospitals is not that good. Presumably the Uro's are 'Old School with TURP still the Gold Standard'  and the VA probably don't invest in in expensive new equipment or training..

• Posted

That's not true in all cases. I had it done and it did not ruin my sex life.

• Posted

David41064 says: "Why is anyone getting a TURP with all the other alternatives?"

I *HEARTILY* agree! I had a TURP in 1996 when it was the only game in town! Blood, catheters and misery for weeks and weeks. I've kept track of the improvements and alternatives since then. We're WAY ahead of that now. Since BPH is a recurrent monster, I need follow-up treatment at this time and would never, ever consider another TURP. Urolift, lasers, PAE, what have you. The choices are significant.

• Posted

From '96 until now means that you have done quite well. I had a GL PVP in 2004 for my 75 gram and by 2013 my prostate had regrown to 135 grams. My next laser procedure reduced it to 55 grams and who knows how long it will last. 

• Posted

You probably had a clot break loose and cause the bleeding. I know you're nervous and concerned but I'll bet you this is ok. A small amount of blood can make your urine look like cranberry juice. So relax. Drink lots of water and no caffeine. I have friends who have had bleeding and clots weeks after the procedure. Good luck. 

• Posted

I had Laser PVP for BPH and had gross hematuria (red blood and clots) off and on, most typically when I exerted myself. This lasted for over a year. Tests indicated it was due to inflamed tissue, and my doctor called it prostatits and ruled out other causes. Upon suggestions from other physicians, my doctor prescribed Finasteride and WOW! Within one month the pain was gone, and no hematuria for several months now. Research on the internet uncovered The Effects of Finasteride on Hematuria Associated with Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia: A Preliminary Report, in the Journal of Urology. Others suffering from bleeding post prostatic surgery should consider Finasteride after consulting with their doctor. I am not a doctor, but this worked for me, and I hope it will work for you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.