TURP and Retrograde Ejaculation

Posted , 12 users are following.

A simple question really. I'm told and I read that the TURP procedure more than likely will cause RE. How do you judge that likelihood?

Is the procedure pot luck? Is it due to the shape and size of an individuals Prostate? Does it depend on the blockage? Is it down to the skill and experience of the surgeon?

The latter is surely an issue?

1 like, 91 replies

91 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Turp would be my last resort.
    • Posted

Jim  Most doctors that care about there patients are happy that they get information from there patients.  This way if there is a problem they can fix it.  If no problem they know that they are doing right by the men they try to help.  Take care  Ken
  • Posted

Charles.  My Urologist calls the Turp surgery the last resort.  There has to be something else you can do.  Get a second opinion.  I would never consider it.......Ken
    • Posted

My uro calls turp the gold standard. Says Fla is like snake oil and could be illegal. Other than that he seems like a nice man..

Jim

• Posted

Good evening Jim.  My urologist told me that a TURP is a last resort procedure.  Last year he told me that he only did 2 because nothing else work.  But he did tell the 2 men that they may have more problem because they cut out everything.  He also told them that it can take up to a year to heal but you still can have problem after.  Sexual, leaking, bleeding and some others.  With all the other procedure out there some will do the same thing with out some problem.  You just have to find a caring urologist that cares about your concerns.  Life is to short to take the first thing that is offered  Have a great day  Ken  
    • Posted

Jim  PS  If you are thinking about having a TURP  read the post by Wally  Ken
    • Posted

No Turp for me. Thats one of the reasons i went with my 2nd Fla. As far as im concerned Turp would be my last resort. Hope it never comes to that.

Jim

• Posted

Good for you Jim.  I hope all work out for you.  Keep the faith  Ken
    • Posted

That is good advice, in retrospect .The promo video made it look like a one-morning event and then go to work the next day. It never mentioned retrograde ejaculation in any realistic way.

Not saying that is good or bad. The whole thing just surprised me after the fact.

• Posted

I had the TURP and will not recommend it to anybody who still want to have a good sex life. I had the best sex before the TURP and after the TURP I just don't have a climax at all. I cant tell anybody how much I dread the fact that I did it and of course my urologist told me before the TURP that the sex and the feeling will be exactly the same. When I told him that its the biggest lie that anybody has told me, he  told me to go and get another urologist. He had never heard of something like that before. Well the problem is that the damage is done now and another urologist can not reverse the damage.

• Posted

Many thanks for the replies to my thread. I’m a little out of touch with this excellent website but hopefully I’m replying to my own thread correctly here!

I ought to have added that I started a thread here called  The Urolift procedure; patient views and questions just over 3 years ago, I believe I was one of the first batch of Urolift patients and now I find myself in a dilemma.

I had the Urolift procedure 3 years ago privately in the UK. To cut a long story it hasn’t worked. I’m not sure why at this moment in time. My NHS urologist has told me I will have to have a TURPS. His reason being the median lobe is now forming a ball c**k at the neck of my bladder and in turn a blockage.

I’m very confused because my initial examination over 3 years ago saw no problems with a median lobe and apparently 3 years on it is now a problem and a problem Urolift cannot solve. Can a middle lobe develop in those 3 years?

You read that there is strong chance that TURPS will cause RE but they always use the word probable, possible or chance yet the post from j12080 explains really why RE should be an absolute certainty which is also my understanding.

No man wants their masculinity removed.

When you consider all the advances in medicine over recent decades it staggers me that this issue doesn’t have an easy safe solution.

• Posted

Yes and no on "probable". No on "certainty". Google "Ejaculation-preserving transurethral resection of prostate and bladder neck: short- and long-term results of a new innovative resection technique."  90% of trial participants had their ejaculatory function preserved. So, it seems like technique plays a critical role here. If you're in Europe, might be worth contacting the trial authors as it seems less invasive options may not work. You might also want to have urodynmic testing done, if you haven't already. Will provide a lot of info on how things are working inside.

Jim

• Posted

As to "probable" and "certainty" again -- more accurate would be around an 80-90% chance of retro with your average uro, but we have had men here who have reported no retro.

• Posted

I've always seen the urolift procedure as a stop gap procedure. You're not removing tissue you're just compressing what's there. Like squeezing a balloon the compressed tissue has to go somewhere

• Posted

It really depends on how good your doctor is.  They have had good results on Button plasma Turp.  The doctor has more control and can get rid of the tissue that is causing the problem. If the doctor preserve the ejaculatory duct area they can preserves the ejaculation. They are working on it  Ken    
    • Posted

Charles I am sorry that the procedure did not work but I think that the doctor that did yours did not see the median lobe forming and did not put enough of the clips in.  Right know they are working with the median lobe pull to one side away from the bladder..  How many did your doctor put in.  Please look into it before they start cutting away at your prostate and causing you more problems Please look at wally5 post on his TURP .  I also had my Urolift done 3 years ago.  My prostate is still wide open At the time I had 4 clips put in 2 on each side.  If I have to have more put in do problem.  I would never have my prostate cut out for any reason.  I would turn to CIC forever..Have a good day  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.