TURP and urinary incontinence

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi! I am 76 and I had my TURP 6 months ago. The first few weeks were ok, but later I began developing urinary incontinence, at first only at night, but now it is all the time and I also feel pain in my groin.

Vasicare did nothing to me. I am oblidged to change pads several times at night. I don't understand this situation. The urge to urinate appears immediately when I lie down. If I walk, it is much better.

I sleep maximum one hour at time. When I go to bed, first I have at leats one hour of urges each 15 minutes. 

Also, I have developed pain in my groin and the feeling that all this region is tight and my bladder full of urine.

My stream, when urinating, is weak.

Does anybody here experiences the same? Do you have any explanation??? Thanks!

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I would cal some other Doctors and just ask if they perform other types of procedures.   Certainly TURP is not the only option.   Also if you look into a PAE those are performed by an interventional radiologist not a urologist.  Not saying that's what to do but it is certainly an option.    I would have to think that if they do urolift here in the United States and it is a common procedure now for about 2 years that they do them in France.   

But you got to do something,  or else nothing will get done.

make those calls.

• Posted

We read about the Greeks, Egyptians, and Romans using hollow straws to drain the bladder. Some day in the future, mankind will look back on Turp and laser surgery with the same amazement and amusement.
    • Posted

Yes...only we won't be there...except perhaps as free spirits who...don't urinate...

• Posted

Hi zdzislaw,

i see this post is old but I an currently starting my 'incontinence journey' and looking for advice/guidance.

My case is just the same as yours. Incontinence started a couple of weeks after TURP and is getting worse by the day. i am now 3 monts post Turp.

if you are still online, any advise you can give me will be hugely appreciated.

Stay safe

James39360

• Posted

James,

What is your degree of incontinence and how do you deal with it. When the sphincter closes, do you feel any discomfort or stinging in the area of the sphincter?

I had a very high level of incontinence after a Greenlight laser TURP, and the stinging at sphincter contraction was something I felt from early on. I went through physical therapy doing a gazillion Kegel exercises, and using electrical stimulation to no avail. My 1st urologist did a cystoscopy, sort of sighed, and said he would do a second TURP, which he did. Then months of PT.I went to a second urologist who found that there was scaring through the vicinity of the sphincter. (That explained the stinging sensation.) I was going through 8 to 10 changes of Depend pullups per day. After multiple procedures to deal with scaring (strictures), I was finally able to have an artificial sphincter implanted about 2.5 years ago. That works well and keeps me dry.

You are still early in the game. I hope for you that there are no strictures causing the incontinence.

• Posted

Thanks for your reply Glenn.

Degree of incontinence varies with activity. pretty bad if I am walking, instant leak if I rise from my chair, and the usual leaks with sneezing etc. When sat still not too bad. I can get through a night with one 'nappy'. Usually need 2 super absorbent pads during the day. But as I said, it is getting worse. No apparent stinging at sphincter. Pain/burning in penis sometimes when I urinate (as if it is raw/scabs in there) even tho' I am 3 months post TURP. On zoladex implants as they found cancer during TURP.

Pleased the artificial sphincter implanted worked for you.

Stay well,

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.