Turp coming up in Jan. how much body hair is shaved?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Pre op appointment is Jan. 4th. have lots of questions.

1 like, 67 replies

67 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Had my TURP 10/13, no hair shaved at all.
    • Posted

thanks for the answer, are you in the US?  Looks like it depends on the Doctor.
  • Posted

Our bodies are different and my experience with TURP has not been good because the symptoms did not go away and the urologist want to do another TURP or bladder neck incision??? Right now I wonder If I needed the TURP in the first place. Given a second chance I would go for PAE because side effects of TURP are not good on sexual life. To cut the story short, For relief I am taking pumking seed not the oil while I think about going for PAE when I get the hospital fees. Pumpkin seed does give me relief but the problem is the taste and also taking it for long makes one feel nauseated at times. You might have to mix pumpkin seed with something like raisins or dried figs to make it tasty.So my advice is give some considerations to alternatives before your go for TURP.
    • Posted

I wish men would look into other stuff before he has a doctor cut away at his body. A turp is to much to do too a man.  Please guys get other information   Ken
    • Posted

You are right but I resisted TURP for a full year and I had to give in because the symptoms were worsening with no improvement despite that I was on Tamsolin and later on Avodart. Unfortunately no improvement in symptoms after TURP. I do not know what to say next time I meet the same Urologist because when I tried to explain to him that there was no improvement 3 months after the procedure he could not take it.
    • Posted

I would ask him did I really need a turp.  See what he would say.  Im glad I trust my urologist.  I had a urolift in April all was great.  He never said a think about a turp.  He told me that he thinks it is to  much done to a mans body.  He does not do it anymore.  There are to many other proedures to pick from.  Hope things get better for you   Ken
  • Posted

It is all over, had the surgery on Jan 20th, I am doing great, came home after 2 1/2 days.  Cannot pickup anything over 5 lbs, and cannot drive for another week.  No hair was shaved.  

Doing great, can already tell this was the right chose for me.  Already only getting up once at night.  

• Posted

I'm glad your doing good and I hope you picked the right procedure.  To many side effects for me.  And I hope you don't have alot of bleeded ing a week.  I will say a prayer for you..Ken  
    • Posted

It has been one week I had no blood this morning and only got up once last night.
    • Posted

That is the way it should be but the sucessful patients probably do not post here.
    • Posted

I am glad that he is not having alot of bleeding and I hope it helps him. But it has been posted on here that there has been a few that have alot of bleeding and other problems that they wish they had never done it.  But we all do what we feel is right for us.  Ken 
    • Posted

Here we get the ones wth problems from all procedures enen Urolift and PAE.
    • Posted

Yes I know.  Every man is diffrent and not all procedure work the same on every man.  There has been alot of men that have had many procedures and I think you are one of there that the first one did not work.  We have to get all the information we can and hope we pick the right one with our doctors help.  But we may the final decision.  Have a good day Derek  
    • Posted

Both of mine worked with quick recovery but they did not stop my prostate from continuing to grow. It would seem that PAE is the only one that will/should do so,
    • Posted

Yes that is the only procedure that will do that. But sometime it does not work.   Take care  Ken
    • Posted

I do want to let all know that I am 62 yrs old, in generally good health, I am drinking the recommended 4 pts of water each day and think that is why my recovery is going so well.  I also drank alot of water in the hospital because my catherter had to be flushed once and I was sure that wasn't going to happen again, it hurt. badddd.
    • Posted

Four pints is not nearly enough, who rwcommended that?

I was drinking 3 litres after my PVP and was told to cut it down to about 1.7l litres.

American studies refer to research into the ‘8x8’ rule, which promotes drinking at least eight 8-oz glasses of water a day (1.9 litres). This is much more than  the ‘about 6-8 glasses’ (1.2 litres) of fluid a day advocated by the UK government.

• Posted

it was in my post op instructions,  I was always told to drink half of your body weight in oz of water.  That is more than enough for men.
    • Posted

So if I weigh 168 lbs how much water should I drink?
    • Posted

Right allowing for the difference/confusion in US and UK weights and measures that seems to be 2.2L and about what I drink.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.