TURP Doctors

Posted , 10 users are following.

Has anyone on here had their Drs. talk them into a TURP?

0 likes, 38 replies

38 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

Steven, skip TURP and Holep. I was lined up for Holep after rejecting TURP.  Then I found about PAE...prostate artery Embolisation. 

Im so glad I did. I had mine. 9 months ago. No cutting, no bleeding , no incontinence, no impotence, no retro and on top of that I have improved sexual function and I now pee like a horse and only get up once a night and that's only because I have two mugs of tea before bed. 

• Posted

I am SO very sorry to read this, Steve, after all the other replies.  Yes, I too had a urologist try to talk me into TURP, as did his PA.  I declined, as I knew of the likely and possible  AND definite side effects.  For a year, I searched and learned, eventually finding Urolift.  A couple of months later, I chose a doctor in Salt Lake City (3,000 Km from wher eI live in Pennsylvania), as he had doen the trials before it was okayed for use in the US.  By then, my uro had also discovered the Urolift, and was in training for it.  He---get this--- said, "Keep on cathing, and when I'm certified in a few months, I do you!"  The doctors just don;t know what they sometimes sound like!  I had it done in Salt Lake, and he did the best he could.  I am back to normal re peeing, and was back to stacking firewood and hauling, THREE DAYS after the procedure!  

Re "stretched bladder:"  Because of years (decades???) of incomplete emptying, as I've mentioned elsewhere, my bladdder is stretched out, never completely voiding.  Since I'm used to cathing (one-time use pieces!!!), I cath before retiring each night, and as a result SLEEP THROUGH THE NIGHT, EVERY NIGHT.  It's a solution I HIGHLY recommend; nothing like the uninterrupted sleep of the blessed, even if I haven't earned it!  :-D

• Posted

Steve, I'm so sorry to hear that. 

I have formed a very low opinion of urologists since my m troubles with BPH began. I always knew I had a large prostate. My PSA was over 9. 

My doc sent me off to a urologist and that's when my troubles began. The uro told me that I needed a biopsy ....I had a 30 core transperineal biopsy and that's when my troubles began. I couldn't pee properly anymore ! 

The uro gave me Flomax and said I should be ok....well 8 months later I still couldn't pee properly...up 6 times a night. 

I saw two more urologists. One wanted to do Holep and the other, a woman, wanted to do open surgery on me for Gods sakes. 

I didn't want to risk incontinence, impotence and retro. 

I stumbled onto PAE on this website by accident and its here I found out about PAE.

In my opinion urologists are:

Cavalier...they re arrogant. They've had the prostate franchise to themselves for far too long.

Ignorant: Most of them have never heard of PAE. 

Deceitful: If they have heard of PAE hey will wrongly bag it. I have only heard of one uro who reccomended PAE.

Greedy. They are more concerned about their wallet than the truth and the best outcome for their patients. 

• Posted

I owuld not assume motives, myself, but I too know the results: les-than-informed, too-busy know-it-alls who would rather you just shut up and do what they say.  When I told my guy (Aug 2014, when I couldn't p[ee AT ALL) that I wouldn't let him TURP me, and that I would seek out alternatives, he smiled smugly and said, "Go ahead; you'll be back..."   As if!  :-P

I had not heard of PAE when I chose the Urolift (3 months ago), so I did not compare the two.  I would strongly suggest compare-and-contrast, INCLUDING POSSIBLE AND PROBABLE AND CERTAIN SIDE-EFFECTS!!!  PAE sounds good; Urolift has worked very well for me, as mentioned, with very little down-time (2 1/2 days!).

• Posted

Wow, that is really arrogant of your doctor. They act like they are the only game in town. Not so.
    • Posted

That is great. Did insurance cover the cost? If not what does something like this cost?
    • Posted

Craig, I live in Australia and the whole thing was covered by our Medicare. 

I presume you live in the US. There is a very large discussion group here on PAE with lots of US guys who have had it done in the US. You should be able to find doctors and costs on that discussion group. 

• Posted

I was never given an option as they could not get a large enough catheter (16) in after failing to pass water and a 10 just kept blocking in hospital.
    • Posted

Most of the time they will put in a 20 or a 22FR catheter in a man.  I have a stricture I can not have anything bigger then a 14F. ( Sticture has a 16cm hole )  I just had to have a uro-lift repair.  My prostate got smaller and one of the implants got lose.  My doctor put in a 18Fr in because the urolift is bigger and dilated my stricture He was afaid I would clog .  A week later I had to have emercency surgery because when I took my blood thinner It caused blood clogs.  I popped one when I sat down to pee.  Im not a fan of catheter but when you can't pee and you start having bladder spasms you do what you have to.  The doctor that did the surgery put in a 20fr because I had to have a 3 way for a 24 hour flush.  6000cc of sayline going through my bladder ever 2 hours.  They got all 3 in me 2 when I was out but a nurse put in a 14fr coude catheter in in the ER to try to help she had a little problem but was very nice and got it in.  Who did yours????   Ken        
    • Posted

Ken,  I think it was 3 Nurses who tried and finally a Doctor got it in. This was all done in Dundee but with having Sepsis 15 months prior they managed to top up my water works infections good style. Like you after my turp they really flushed me out, and it is quite something seeing it going in and out so fast. Three months on and they now say Prostatitis with infections still going and Antibiotics not seeming to do much.  Last test showed around 312 retention but they are not going further due to infections.        David
    • Posted

Had sepsis in 2014 that year I had 7 infection.  Never know I had a stricture.  Had to see a urologist.  It was caused by kidney stone surgery.  I'm glaf the doctor put it in whan I was a sleep....Take care  Ken 
    • Posted

Ken,  It is interesting to know that it takes up to 18 months to get rid of Sepsis, and I now think Prostatitis is a spin off.  Keep smiling.

David

• Posted

I would just say that you need to beware of urologists, In my opinion I think that PAE is the best procedure for treating BPH as it has no side effects and sexual function is fully retained and in 30% of cases actually improved.

A urologist cannot do a PAE as they are not trained for it and I know if of only one instance where a urologist has reccomended a PAE. I went to three urologists and each reccomended a different procedure and each claimed theirs was the "gold standard".  It's laughable except the consequences can be tragic. 

Dont doctors have a duty to reccomend the best procedure for the patient? I  have had lots of things go wrong with me over the years but I had nothing but admiration for the vast majority of the medical profession until I met the urologist sub group of the medical profession. They have had the prostate industry to themselves for too long and they have become arrogant and greedy in my opinion. At least the ones I met were. 

• Posted

Yes my Doctor did, surgery was scheduled to happen in 3 days. The night before surgery I had a bad feeling about it, did more research on it an I called it off. Doc never told me about reto ejaculation.

I went an got a second opinion..

Thank God my new doc did a urolift.

• Posted

I'm very happey for you. It's been a year for me and I'm doing great  Ken
    • Posted

The only problem with this, Carl is mine was done in late 2009 and there were no urolifts back then !!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.