Turp experience and questions

Posted , 128 users are following.

Hi there,

JUst wanted to share my experience with my turp surgery. I'm 45yrs old, too young some say for me to having prostate issues but I put it down to my father side of the family (my father and uncles all currently suffer from enlarge prostates) 

For the last couple of years been suffering from weak urine stream, having a full night sleep and waking up in the morning with the urge to go wee just to wee a small trickle. I also suffered from time to time having blood in the urine.

Went to see the Urologist, he did some testing, test on the strengh on my urine flow (very weak the doc said) he put a camera up my penis to see inside and we could see clearly that my prostate was enlarge and was putting pressure on my bladder which probably explained why sometimes I could see blood on my urine. I have a benign enlarged prostate, no cancer worries which is good.

While I decided if I wanted to have surgery, doctor put me on Avodart. It did help but I wasn't sure if I wanted to take antibiotics for the rest of my life. Avodart temporary reduces the size of the prostate but if you stop taking it, you will still have the same problem again and it will only get worse.

Dedided to have the surgery, I had it three weeks ago. spinal block, stayed in hospital one full day with a catheter inserted. Catheter was removed the following day in the morning, had to urine a few times into a container, followed by a scan machine pressed to my belly to see how much urine was left in the bladder. Passed the test and  was allowed to go home that day at midday.

I can see the immediate benefit of the surgery where my urine stream is very strong. When I get up in the morning with a full bladder, no more urine trickle, just a strong urine flow. On the other side, I'm still suffering from post surgery effects, for example, frequent urges to go to the toilet and pee ( I probably go every 40 to 60 minutes) blood on the urine and pain (burning/stinging) everytime I have to take a piss. The doctor says is normal for this symptoms to happen and it will take weeks before everything is back to normal. how long?  it depends on the individual. I can get an erection, it feels a bit different and I will suffer from retro ejaculation ( I was warned about this)

Anyone that had Turp done, how long it took until you where pain free? (no blood and pain)  Did you take any medicine to stop the pain or the bledding?

Thanks for reading,

Henry

6 likes, 509 replies

509 Replies

Prev Next
  • Edited

Also forgot to mention, extreme urgency and frequency also lasted about 6 weeks. Afraid go out withut Depends for about 6 weeks in case I couldn't hold it, but never had an accident. However the urgency caused lots of accidents around the house. I had about a 4 second fuse before uerination started. Frequency gradually improved to about once an hour to 90 minutes so I could leave the house
    • Posted

Two weeks post surgery. Frequency and urgency, weak stream still a problem. Hope this gets better.
    • Posted

Frequency, urgency, bleeding and pain are fairly normal for 6 to 8 weeks. A weak stream isn't. It's possible you have some debris blocking your urination. Or maybe there is inflamation from the procedure. I had a foley cath for a week following my turp. I also have read of people passing small chunks of tissue weeks after a turp and then getting a good stream after. Maybe you should get a prescription from your uro for flomax (or the generic tamsulosin) for a few weeks to improve the flow until you can get a good stream on your own.

• Posted

Thank you. I am on Terazosin and Myrbetriq. When I say stream is weak...I thought I'd be peeing like a 15 year old. Seems to be improving though. I hope in 2 months I will be saying this has been worth it. Thx again.

• Edited

Myrbetriq can cause painful or difficult urination. Google the side effects. I was given something similar for bladder spasms but stopped taking it after a day because it gave me a dry mouth.
    • Posted

Bob, did you have TURP or one of the laser procedures? Sorry if I asked you this before so many people keep track of
    • Posted

Two years ago I had Green Light Laser. Two weeks ago I had TURP. Apparently my prostate is rather large. Having a tough time right now. Hopefully will get better.
    • Posted

Thanks for the info Bruno, best wishes to for a speedy recovery
    • Edited

Both. I had the Greenlight laser in mid 2012. In Dec 2013 I had a second GL laser due to hematuria. Had the bladder necked trimmed and bladder stones removed. In mid 2015 I had the classic turp due to hematuria. Removed more prostate tissue than the GL lasers did. In my opinion the Turp had better results. An advantage of the turp was that tissue was sent to pathology to check for prostate cancer. With the GL laser, all the tissue is vaporised. I also had an enormous prostate. It was measured at 313g. before the last Turp and 203g. after. I've been taking dutasteride for the past year to keep it from growing. Stream and PVR are good so far. Will get an ultrasound to check both after the holidays.

• Posted

You've been thru a lot too. It's not easy.

• Posted

When you are in retention it's either a procedure or self cathing 4 times a day so you don't have much choice. All 3 procedures had an 8-9 week recovery to get over the bleeding, pain, urgency and frequency. I'm guessing the larger the prostate, the longer the recovery. 

• Posted

I understand that. You have to do whatever you need to get yourself better. 8-9 weeks for recovery sounds like the norm. I just finished up my second week. I go to bathroom and 2 seconds later I feel like I have to go again. They tested me and I am emptying my bladder. Doctor said that will get better. Since I did have a large prostate, as you said, it will take a bit longer. Hope you get better soon.
    • Posted

So your prostate is still 203g? eek Holy crap, why didn't the uro make it smaller?

• Posted

They can only keep you under so long. It's been about 18 months. So far I've had no problems. Apparently the size of the prostate and ability to urinate are not necessarily related. Some men with small prostates go into retention, some with large prostates don't.

• Posted

I'm OK now. It's been 18 months since the turp, so far, so good. I learned to take longer before leaving the toilet. That double voiding still happens to me. Also have to wipe after I go or another teaspoon leaks out. The only time I had to go constantly was when I had a UTI. Just stayed on the toilet for hours. It didn't pay to get up.

• Posted

Update:  TURP on Nov 28, 2016.  I am doing much better.  No pain meds.  Go to bathroom about every three hours....longer if I need to. 
    • Posted

I had the operation, they let me out of hospital on the third day, on the 5th day I had to go to the emergency hospital because I had total pretension.They put on another catheter on me and I have to keep it on for 7 days. I'm in pain and I worry that the Dr didn't do a good job. Does anyone else had the same problem?

• Posted

I would call doc and let him know you still have pain. I had to go to ER for same reason but was not in pain. Hope you get better soon.
    • Posted

I had two kinds of pain following the GL laser. One was at the start and the end of urination. That lasted about 8 weeks. The second was bladder spasms that would come and go (maybe every 20 to 40 minutes or so) because of the catheter. Those ended when the cath came out. But I did not have constant pain. If you do you should check with your doc.
    • Posted

I had my TURP on November 28, 2016.  The first few weeks were rough.  It got better each day.  Now, today, March 12, 2017 I'm happy to report everything is great.  No side effects.  Not RE.  Before surgery I was getting up 5-6 times a night..now I get up 1-2 times.  During day I can go hours before having to use the bathroom.  TURP  has been very successful for me.

• Posted

Bruno, i had my turp on Dec.14th only get up once a night now but i am still dealing witth urgency and frequency during the day. i am told it will take 4 months to get over the hump on those issues. how long did it take you to get over the hump? Thanks for any info.
    • Posted

Congratulations Bruno. It's always good to hear of a good outcome. It's been about 20 months since my turp and I am doing well too. No problems urinating or retention of urine. Still get up about 3 times a night, but that is likely due to a small bladder capacity rather than any sort of prostate issue.

• Posted

I would say it took me about 3 months go get over the hump. I'm still taking Terazosin which helps.  At last visit they said I am only retaining 5cc, before surgery I was retaiing 150-200 cc.  Out of habbit I still go to bathroom before I leave house and bake sure I don't drink too much if there will be no bathroom easliy available.  Much luck to you.

• Posted

Thanks for the response Bruno, any side effects from the Terazosin? Good to hear your great results, hoping mine will be as good.
    • Posted

Thanks bob120. Your reply got me out of worrying so much. But i still worry about the catheter if it's going to block or not.

Thanks bob120

• Posted

Hi, no side effects with the Terazosin. I will tell you I had Greenlight laser surgery on prostate about 2 years ago. Because my prostate was so large, this procedure didn't work. So in Nov 2016 I had the TURP. So far I am very happy with TURP.

• Posted

what dosage were you taking? Are you still on it? Thanks
    • Posted

It's unlikely the cath will block. Take note of how often you empty the bag. As long as some urine keeps going into the bag you are not blocked. What happened to me is that after a few days the bladder spasms forced my urine outside the cath tube as well as through it. Then it was time to take out the cath.

• Posted

Thank you bob120. The same thing happened to me today. I had a very strong pain with the urge to urinate, and blood mixed with urine was coming outside the cath tube. after a few minutes I saw blood clots going through the tube. The pain was bad. Now it settled down a bit. That's why I'm worring about blocked cathe. 

Thank you for all the information you give me and a lot of other sufferes.  

• Posted

My turp was to stop bleeding on my prostate that clotted and filled up my bladder. But the blood was frank blood, like spaghetti sauce rather than bloody urine like burgundy wine. I was in the hospital about a week, and after the surgery the nurses used a large plastic syringe about 5 inches long and an inch wide with a tip that fit into the cath tube to suck clots out of the foley catheter tube. (This is not the same as the small plastic syringe that fills the cath baloon with sterile water to anchor it in your bladder.) When I went home my uro gave me a syringe and a bottle of sterile water and if my cath got blocked I disconnected the hose on the leg bag and used the syringe to blow a little sterile water into the cath tube and then suck out any clots. Sometimes I could see the clot at the end of the cath tube where it connects to the leg bag hose and disconnected the hose and pulled out the clot.

At present your clots are working their way through the cath, which is good. The urine coming out the outside of the cath is good too, because its like a safety release valve. If your cath gets blocked and no urine comes out for several hours, you can try disconnecting the hose and squeezing the end of the tube, which may draw out the clot. If you are worried, you can ask your uro for a bottle of sterile water and the plastic syringe (the syringe is about 5 inches long and an inch wide and the tip fits into the cath tube) just in case the cath clots up. My urologist gave me those when I left the hospital so I could clear my own cath if it got blocked. My cath stayed in about 3 weeks. Worse case, if you are not passing any urine into the bag for a number of hours, your uro or the ER can use the syringe to pull out the clots or just change the cath.

• Posted

Thank you bob120. All the information you have given to be are very helpful. I'll let you know how I'm going in a few days. Tomorrow I have to go to the nurse and see if we can get the catheter out. I only had it for 7 days. I hope I don't rush things.

• Edited

Hi Bob you sound very knowledgeable about this...i wanted to ask you...i had turp surgery last monday 7days agl...sent home with cath ..tiday had cath taken out ..everything is ok besides normal light pain urinating some blood..but stream much better and I'm excited..

But if I happen to get an erection it hurts...i thought it was the cath car if I happened to get 1 when that was in me...but still having pain when do...does it take a while to not feel pain when erect?..just nervous and I appreciate your time

• Posted

Hi Tommy, never had any pain with erection.Did have eye popping pain after urination for about 6 weeks. Waited 10 days to have very gentle sex. I had forgotten about the retro, and didn't notice it at all. Still don't.

• Posted

Bruno, I have been reading all the notes. I had my TURP 5 weeks ago, had the catheter put back in again for another 3 weeks and allowed to go home. After the catheter was taken out, I found I leaked alot. Did you have that, I found I leaked alot particularly after getting out the shower. I wear a incontinence pad all the time and will so until the leaking stops. The urologist put me on a low dose valium as I was getting a bit stressed about it all. Since I have had the catheter removed I slept too deep and wet the bed twice. I don't have trouble passing urine as long as I drink about 1 to 2 litres of water. Did you have any of the leaking after you got home and if so how long did it last for. I had my op on the 9th March and the catheter taken out on the 29th. I feel as if I am only a couple of weeks into my recovery.

• Posted

Sorry you are having issues. I did not have any leakage after TURP. I did have a lot of pain while urinating for about a weak. It took me about 2 months to get back to normal. I would give it time and try not to stress. Bruno
    • Posted

Thankyou Bruno for your reply. I was having leakage before I had my TURP but of course now it is a bit worse. I am trying to do the pelvic floor exercises to strenthen my bladder. I too hope it gets better in time. Thanks for your help. John

• Posted

I came across this thread of comments one night while searching the Internet for information on TURP recovery. The comments really helped reduce my anxiety because I found out that I’m not alone in my recovery symptoms and not totally broken. So, here is my experience. It started with my yearly Urologist checkup. I have been taking Flomax for 3 years with success. However, on this visit the ultrasound indicated I was retaining 50% or urine in my bladder. The Urologist said this is a dangerous level and will eventually lead to infections and kidney problems. I elected for a new minimally invasive (can be done in doctors office) procedure called Urolift.  The first week after the procedure was livable. Urine flow increased, I had some urination pain which AZO meds helped reduce, urgency, and having to go every hour. Then the dreaded second week of recovery began. Urine flow decreased, urgency increased, sometimes I didn’t make it to the bathroom on time, and I could not leave the house. Bladder filed up and I was in pain. The Urologist suggested to self catheterize morning and night for a month to allow self healing. I did this for 2 days and gave up. Nothing was coming out naturally. The Urologist then performed a TURP. He said TURP gave him better control to remove tissue than laser. It was performed in a Surgery Center and not a hospital. I arrived at 7AM, procedure at 8AM under general anesthesia, and I was discharged at 11AM. I wore a catheter for 2 days. I experienced some bladder spasms due to the catheter and then some urine leakage between the exiting catheter tube and urethra. This hurt a bit, but not excruciating pain. I was taking AZO 3 times per day for urination pain. On the third day after TURP I went back to have the catheter removed. The Urologist back filled me with 300ml of water, took the catheter out, and said go pee over there. YIKES! It was a fire hose. It was a sensation that I hadn’t experienced in a very long time. I had forgotten how to aim and pee went everywhere. OK, so things now work again and the sphincter muscle turned the flow off with just a few drops. How about recovery. It has been 10 days since the TURP. I have no urination pain or discomfort. Urgency was about 1 hour after catheter removal and has increased to 2+ hours after 1 week. I can hold it and take my time getting to the bathroom. I just make sure I do a potty check before leaving the house. My penis still aches a bit from the instruments that where shoved up it and the catheter. I still have some after urination blood drops but they are decreasing. Looks like the TURP was successful and I’m on my way to a good recovery.
    • Posted

Had TURP 10 days ago. I'm also having pain during an erection. Not excrutiating but ceratinly bothersome. I'm hopping it is just due to all the instruments that were shoved up my penis during the procedure and the catheter I had for 3 days. I'm hoping that it will recover like any other muscle in my body that took a hit and will get better in another week or so.

• Posted

Thanks for sharing art. I am glad it worked out well for you. Hank
    • Posted

My discomfort after TURP was short-lived, but the tip of my penis had almost closed and urinating has been a major problem. However, today the urologist performed a simple dilation (1 of 4 - hopefully) which he says should massively help my urine retention. I hope so!
    • Posted

I did not experience that complication. I hope that dilation works for you. I did experience erection pain which is diminishing after 10 days. I'm thinking this is due to surgery trauma and my penis is just like any other muscle in my body that has taken a severe hit from playing sports.

• Posted

I had the plasma button procedure done a week ago so sex is not in the picture yet. But, regarding the retro ejaculations you mentioned.....do your orgasms feel the same as they did before your surgery?
    • Posted

The orgasms feel the same, but without ejaculation.
    • Posted

Orgasms feel great like they always have. The first time after the turp I had forgotten about the retro and couldn't understand why I was dry. It's been almost 2 years since my turp and I never noticed any difference in the sensation. At orgasm, the semen gets shot into the bladder instead of out the penis, but you feel the orgasm, not the semen.

• Posted

Had my first ejaculation 16 days post surgery. It was FANTASTIC, and I thought they were pretty darn good before!
    • Posted

Sorry to hear about the problems. Which surgery did you have? I had the Button TURP done 9 days ago and am feeling pretty good. Only get up once or twice a night and can go 3-4 hours during the day. Could probably go longer but I am drinking in excess of 96 oz of water so it makes me go more.
    • Posted

You're experiencing the same things I did. I am now four weeks post surgery and I'm starting to sleep all night without needing to pee. My biggest annoyance is that I hesitate before my stream begins and it's slow. But, once I start it is constant until I'm empty. It is my assumption that this is the result of swelling because it is slowly improving. I see my urologist next week for definite answers.

• Posted

I ejaculate about half a load. I was aware that this would happen so I'm ok with it. My main concern was that my orgasms would be diminished. They are award-winning!

• Posted

I had the Button TURP 9 months ago. Everything went well and I had  some of the same issues everyone talks about. I still get up once or twice a night to pee but that is no big deal. (At least I can pee). I get erections the same as before and my orgasims are strong. For about 4 months I had no retro ejaculation, but that slowly went away and now my orgasms are strong, but no semen. Retro has finally hit me and the doctor has no idea why that happened. Hopefully someone out there has had the same thing. The doctor advised I could take a sudafed prior to sex and sometimes that helps close the bladder allowing the semen to flow out as before. Don't know if that works.

Does anyone out there in the BPH world know other ways to help retro?

• Edited

David, folks,

1am here... Could not sleep as I was nervous a bit tonight... Fell on this very informative forum to find answers...

My story... May 8th 2017, was my TURP surgery (10 days ago). Left the Hospital on the 10th, but had to return the same day as my urethra closed at the tip of my penis. Emerg Dr. refused to insert a catheter (afraid of liability I presume), but I was able to empty my bladder (to be fair). I went back home and, with an improvised tool, opened up my tip and drank lots of water... Peed several times and It did the job and I did not have to have another catheter.

Until today I was on a cloud... Of course, the razor blades down my penis everytime I peed, but the flow was... UNBELIEVABLE! Just needed to take my pain medecide every now and then...

I pushed a lite sex about 4-5 days post-TURP. I was SO worried I could not get an erection again; I had to test it... It  happened, but I should have waited... Painful! And, I re-live this pain every time the begining of an erection is around the corner. I did not push it since then... No retro on my side for that only time... I was kinda hoping it would happend to be honest (got all my kids... no need for these mess anymore). Orgasm was great!

Today, after a good week of strong flow (still painful mind you), I experimented weak flow... This occurred everytime I went today... It was my first time not having a strong flow since my TURP...

I'm up right now filling up with water and hopping to provoke many p*ssing opportunities as possible to get the "possible debris" out of the way and get back to what I had... Again, I'm worried... I did not measure my product, but I fill like I empty my bladder (I have to push though).

For the concerned ones... The ones that are debating whether they should get the TURP or not... I was SO worried 8 weeks leading to my surgery. On the day of, they had to calm me with medecine before they rolled me to the operating room... Even if I am still going through all this pain, I trully believe it was worth it! Reading many sites and now being able to compare to others... It gets better!

Thanks to everyone that contributes to this forum; it helps!

• Posted

I, too, experienced a strong urine flow when my catheter was removed, but it soon dwindled to being weaker than it was BEFORE my TURP. I'm now going on five weeks post surgery and it is getting stronger, but at a very slow pace. I'm assuming that has to do with swelling. I'll find out for sure next week when I see my urologist again. Just remember that what you had done was no simple procedure and it is going to take time to heal. My recovery seems slow, but I also believe that when I'm finally healed I'll be well satisfied with my results.

• Posted

Mark, Be careful if you are not passing urine to stop filling with water. I did that one night and I wound up in the ER needing a cath. I had 1400mls of urine backed up. After that experience I got some caths and learned to cath myself. You may have a blockage of some sort. You shouldn't have to strain to urinate. I had pain urinating and bleeding for about 6 weeks after my turp. The pain at the start and end of urinating was eye popping.

• Posted

I also feel an urge to push when I urinate but I don't do it and I always seem to empty out. That urge is gradually diminishing and my stream is slowly becoming stronger. Relax and don't push it.

• Posted

dalebf, bob120,

Thanks guys for taking the time!

I will slow down on trying to heal faster.

BTW, today, I feel good... Much stronger flow than yesterday, but still not what it has been (post TURP). However, I'm now stopping the worries. It may have been a debris or whatever... I'll start worrying after my 8th week is completed... smile

Easier said than done... smile

I see through everyone's comments that I have to give it time.

Question for everyone:

How much time away from work for you and what line of work are you in? please...

Thanks again,

Mark

• Posted

I've had Green light Laser and TURP. Both takes time to heal as your insides are swollen from the surgery. Pain when peeing will get better....some up to 2 months. Stream should get better too. I still get up at night but it went from 7 times to a couple times. Best of luck.

• Posted

Hi Mark, I'm retired. But it took me about 6 weeks to venture outside wearing some pads and plastic underwear, just in case. It turns out I didn't need them, but it was a security thing in my mind.

• Posted

Also had turp in may 2017 had a few days with a strong stream then weaker and more numerous plus the burning is still there. Blood and clots are slowly going away. Morning is painful and still some blood. Just want this over . Hope this is not all for nothing.
    • Posted

No, Daniel, it's not all for nothing. What you are experiencing is exactly how it has been for me. I had mine on April 20 and I'm just now beginning to see general improvenment. I rarely get up in the night anymore to pee and my stream is very slowly getting stronger. Your recovery will not be overnight. Don't be surprised if it takes as long as 2 -3 months, depending on the size of your prostate. Be patient.....you'll get there.

• Posted

It seems everyone has problems of some kind. After I had the catheter taken out Tuesday of last week, I have had no trouble peeing. Do not even have any spasms or phantom calls as I call them. My wife has been telling me since I had the TURP that I wasn't peeing properly. The last catheter must have unlocked something as I then had a few blood clots in the drainage bag. I am still leaking a fair bit but have telephoned the Incontinence help line and go tomorrow to see a continence nurse who is going to explain exactly what pelvic floor exercises I need to do and how many per day. I am in a much better frame of mind than I have been for a long time. Feel that maybe there is light at the end of the tunnel. Just keeping my fingers crossed. I still west the bads in the day and wear the pants at night as I still have that problem of sleeping throught the pees at night.

This forum has helped me such a lot and grateful for the many who have told how they went with their TURPS.

• Posted

Forgot to say in my earlier post for anyone who hasn't read my earlier posts I had my TURP on the 9th March. Must have been partly blocked since then but now hope I can start my recovery properly. The leaking is my main concern as I am peeing quite a bit now.

• Posted

Bob I know how you felt as I still feel like that about venturing outside. I have only been going out when I would be home again in about 3/4 hour.

Hopefully now things will change.

• Posted

John I'm happy to hear you turned the corner with getting a good flow. I think you will also get over the incontinence as well. 

• Posted

Two weeks removed, just saw the dr, he said my prostate was twice the size most men he operates on, and double the ammount of tissue removed, I am 60 had a enlarged prostate since 23 and been hell till I had colon surgery and Locked me up, after I got home, back to er to be cathed, down hill after that finally decided to do the surgery, had terrible pain in my back lower rib thought it was kidney, went back to another hospital every test possible Ct scan yada, dr's said probably a little fluid around that area causing me pain or injured being put on and off the operating table. Took 5 days to finall get home after that now feels 75% better, and no cancer in tissues

• Posted

Bob was a bit premature with my post. Very unfortable again and leaking alot just after seeing the urologist. Ended up ringing the continece helpline and after speaking to them for about half an hour they referred me to a continence nurse. She said straight away after seeing my diary on how much I was peeing and said self catherization was the best hope. She showed me how to do it and got 800 ml out of my bladder. She suggested to do it about 5 or 6 times a day which is what I do. It was amazing no more leaking in the daytime, even able to go without a pad until about 4 pm. Nights have been still a big problem. Now I get up about twice during the night and do a self catheter. Much better. Had the next visit to the urologist and he said he had done all he could do. Bit hesitant in putting a permanent catheter and said to keep doing this for another 4 weeks to see if the bladder starts to work. I do get some very strong urges now but not much of a pee. At least I am more comfortable. The dr. said it may take even up to six months to learn whether the bladder is starting to work. He said there are a odd few that the bladder doesn't start to work. The self catheterization tries to teach the bladder to fill then empty. Just a wait and see game now.

• Posted

Hi John, Sorry to hear that. It's lucky you started cathing because 800ml in the bladder is an enormous amount, and could back up into the kidneys. My cousin's husband had a similar problem. After his turp he found out his bladder had lost elasticity and he didn't get the urge to pee. With 800ml in your bladder you should have felt like you were bursting. He is still cathing, but others here have found that cathing has restored their bladder elasticity over time. If you can keep your output with the cath to less than 400-500 mls, then you are not stretching your bladder like you are with 800mls. I generally void about 1 to 1.5 liters overnight, but my bladder signals me at about 300-400mls. Good luck.

Bob

• Posted

One more question Bob, how long ago did your cousin's husband have his TURP.

• Posted

John, about 10 years ago. In his case it was permanent. He has no sensation of having to go at all and caths 4 to 5 times a day.
    • Posted

Thanks Bob for that. I do get urges to go to the toilet but it is mainly very late afternoon and early evening. I don't pee much each time. I guess it is still a waiting game to see if my bladder recovers or not.

• Posted

When I was cathing I tried to pee first, then cathed into a plastic 1 liter urinal with ml markings so I could measure my PVR (post void residual). If you are peeing more on your own your pvr would decrease over time. Ideally your pvr should be less than 200ml. The lower the better.
    • Posted

How long did you have to cath for. My urologist is sure I will come good in time. I do get some very strong urges to pee sometimes.
    • Posted

Doing somewhat better now after 6 weeks after turp and tuip.

No more blood after two weeks but had a slight issue with leakage. I think that is over but still have frequent urination but it has gone from 15 minutes 90 minutes and sometimes 120 minutes. The stream went from strong to weak and then getting stronger . The burn is still there but is less than what it once was.

I still get the occasional spasms in my bladder and it travels to my penis.

Since resting a lot my back has acted up and seems to be irritating my surgery area but comes and goes.

Overall the surgery has been a

6 out of 10. A 10 being a great success. Still have some healing to go.

What a terrible time I've had. My doctor might be a good surgeon but his post operative skills are

lacking to say the least. I found being on this forum gave me insight on the do's and don't plus doctor google.

Overall I have a strong stream in

early morning lessens during the day but I'm learning to hold my freguency to almost 2 hours and the stream is stinger and voiding better.

Turp and Tuip is not a piece cake . Not sure about the sex yet but it will happen sooner or later. Erection is starting to happen but

all the other issues took priority.

Hope this was helpful to all those who recently had Turp and Tuip.

• Posted

Originally, prior to my first Greenlight laser, I had to cath periodically when I was in full retention retention due to bph. This was preferable to going to the ER to get cathed. 6 months after my first Greenligh laser, I had to start cathing again, because a membrane grew over my prostatic urethra, which had to be removed with a cystocope tool in the doctor's office. I cathed every two weeks for a few months to keep the channel open and keep any membranes from closing it off again, then cathed once a month for the remainder of the year. At the end of a year I had a second Greenlight to stop bleeding in the prostate and bladder neck and remove bladder stones. Then a year and a half later I had the turp to stop bleeding again. The turp had the best results, but my prostate continues to grow so I have been taking dutasteride for the past 20 months to slow down the regrowth. But I have had no problems urinating, my PVR is just 32 mls, and I haven't cathed in 3-1/2 years. I still get up 3 to 4 times a night, but use a bedside urinal so I can go in the dark, sitting at the edge of the bed and get right back to sleep. The most important thing is how much PVR you measure (post void residual that comes out when you cath, after having tried to pee on your own). That will tell you how your bladder is doing to empty on it's own.

• Posted

Day 58 still feel like

S**t unless I am laying down relaxing take Tylenol to stop the bladder pain or whatever it is pee burns at times just hope for feeling better damn

• Posted

It could take a few weeks till you feel better. If you feel something is wrong, u might want to call ur doctor.
    • Posted

I recently had the turps procedure ( 18.7.2017). I was in hospital for 3days cathetered for 2xdays.

Now 23x days later my urine flow is great, not getting up 2-3 times during the night.

However not yet tested the sex side of things with the wife. I'm getting good hard erections but am worried about pain/discomfort and this retrograde ejaculation. My Doc says there may be a lot of premature ejaculation issues that should fade overtime.

Any advise much appreciated.

• Posted

Yes you might have a little pain and retrograde but you will be fine. Make sure your doctor says it ok.....
    • Posted

Had no discomfort or pain, on day 10 after the turp. Had forgotten about the retrograde and couldn't understand why I was dry afterward, and then I remembered about the retrograde. Orgasm felt the same. It's been 2 years and never noticed any difference. The semen just pumps up into the bladder instead of pumping down and out.

• Posted

P.S., Should mention I took it slow and easy.
    • Posted

I am at 8 weeks post Turp dr said I would pass material I just saw some pass ouch for the second time, wow I would have thought it was over I have felt like s**t for 8 weeks hoping this nitemare will end and I can feel better he did say with your sure 4-6 months is not uncommon 
    • Posted

with your size of prostate
    • Posted

I passed clots for a couple of months, but nothing very large. One poster on another forum said he passed a chunk the size of the tip of his thumb.  I would say if you are not much better in another month maybe you can get a scan or a cystoscope examination to see what is going on. I haven't seen anyone on these forums who took more than 3 months to recuperate from a turp.

• Posted

Check out the urolift threads on the patient forum. Some people are happy, some are not, like on the TURP, GL, etc. forums. The urolift doesn't reove any tissue, just pushes it to the side. I guess that can be good or bad depending on the configuration and size of your prostate.

• Posted

Urolift seemed like a really good method but it didn't work very well for me. I had the Urolift and things went well for 5 days. Then I was worse off than before the Urolift. I could get out about 50cc with squeezing and pushing on my bladder. My bladder filled up quickly and I was in severe discomfort. Doctor had me self catherterize. I did this for 1 week and had enough. Did the TURP and now after 3 months everything is really good.

• Posted

I can only go by what this man who has done he says thousands of these and many other ofnthe latest procedures he based his Turp fix on me s

My prostate has been large and

Troubled since 23 years old and the size it was! I am at two months which probably means another month but he did say some cases longer and I have had a few setbacks uti extra week in hospital related to surgery, the chunks that just came out were more like flakes the size of a well small just look every time I sit to pee if anything is

Coming

And there was a slight pain at the tip so I knew something was up damit each day brings a new challenge and a lot of mine is worry as I have been through the ringer since my shoulder surgery in oct 13 then colon tear surgery 15 and prostate mid June and all the er visits and cathing my

Poor little dinker, damn lucky it is still

Hangin on I need a good run and to heal I pee like a champ but in the back of my mind when will it stop I still take flomax Dr told me to stop don't need it

But I told him it

Makes

Me feel better he laughs go ahead stop the vitimans I did listen to that as I believe it hurts my bladder like coffee I quit too and ovis no booze sex or lifting until

Completely healed he said that is smart

• Posted

John it sounds like you are doing OK. Don't worry about it, what will be will be, worry won't change anything. 

• Posted

That is interesting, leonard80987.  Have often wondered.  Is it better to drink more water than usual, or is it better to drink less water than usual, following any prostate procedure.  My instincts tell me to stay hydrated, but would appreciate hearing your opinion on this, or anyone else's, for that matter.  Thank you.

• Posted

More than usual. I was drinking about 3 to 4 litres  a day to flush out the blood and debris. I also measured what was going in and what was coming out for a couple of weeks, both with the foley cath and without it by urinating in a plastic litre urianal with ml markings and keeping track of input and output. You lose about a litre a day just from respiration. The only caveat is if you are blocked, don't try to get it unblocked by drinking more water. You will just overfill your bladder that way.

• Posted

Bob, this is so strange with the people having so much blood in their urine after the TURP. That is one thing I really never experienced and never had any pain at all. I used to drink alot of water so makes me wonder if there is something there that is stopping me from passing urine normally.
    • Posted

Hello John,

I read some of your posts on your experience with the turp surgery.

I have had it and five weeks after I am not peeing enough naturally to empty my bladder. I had to revert to self catheterisation, which I had been doing for ten weeks up to my surgery also, as I had acute urinary retention.

I think my problem now is that my bladder has been weakened to such an extent it cannot force the urine out properly even with the hollowed out prostate...

If you get to read this I am wondering if your problems ever improved and what you exeperiences have been up to now. 17 July 20919.

• Posted

its 10 weeks since my turp procedure still going to toilet several times a day 3 times a night blood in my urine my Gp has now prescribed Tamsulosin 400 MG

my latest fit note reads

post operative urine frequency waiting for urologist i hope im catheter free fingers crossed

• Posted

Geoff, the only way you can tell is to have your pvr (post void residual) tested. There's no way to know by feel. If it's more than 200ml than you still have a problem, maybe bladder stones, or a piece of debris blocking you or even a piece of tissue grown over the prostatic urethra, or the bladder mouth needs to be trimmed. I had all of these after my first and second greenlight laser, the turp was the charm on the third try. It's also possible to have a weakened bladder or a diverticulum (pouch in the bladder that holds urine,) but I wouldn't worry about that until all the above has been ruled out.

• Posted

Thank you Bob...of an evening when things seem to loosen up I sometimes have prv of between 180 and 300. BUT That is after several pees within 10 minutes... not just one. I do not seem to be able to void well at all. I often catheterise and have volumes of between 200 and even 500 mls at times...there doesnt seem to be any pattern developing...I sometimes feel glad just to be peeing anything naturally...at least it flushes my urethtra out...I did have an ultrasound recently that showed a 2cm area of prostate that hadn`t been removed leading right up to the sphincter...he said that "might" be the cause of my weak urination.

• Posted

Sounds like you still have a problem. I had about a 1cm patch of tissue after the first greenlight partially blocking the urethra by the lower sphincter (not the one by the bladder), which was removed with a cystoscope tool. But after my first GL my worst PVR was just 250 ml. The tissue was found by my urologist with the cystoscope (just a quick snip removed it). But he had to go back with a second greenlight 18 months later to trim the bladder mouth and remove bladder stones. Still didn't pee right. The third attempt another 18 months later was with the turp and that finally worked. 6 months later I started taking dutasteride to avoid regrowth of the prostate and a need for periodic turps. Been on the dutasteride for almost 3 years now. Peeing is good. Last pvr check about 3 years ago was 32 ml.

• Posted

I'm @ 3 weeks post Bi-Polar, bleeding stopped do have urgency and get up 3-4 times per night but I am drinking a lot of water to flush, I had 7 catheters due to urine retention and so glad to pee,

burning after urinating is an issue, but we guys have to remember that there was trauma to the prostate and the that and the Urethra are inflamed, seems 6-9 weeks is a good bet for things to settle down.

• Posted

I'm glad you went with TURP; newer procedures seem good on paper and they are but not for large prostates and there can be blood months after as well, they only give a 5 year guarantee while TURP gives a 7-15 year.

• Posted

Were you taking Flomax at the time of your surgery and after? Flomas relaxes the bladder and it cannot push the semen out so you have or had retro, if you went off the Flomax you could ejaculate normally, but retro is no big deal.

• Posted

I had two Greenlights, one in June 2012 that was only partially successful. Spontaneous bleeding and bladder stones made me get a second Greenlight in Dec 2013 that was also only partially successful. Additional spontaneous bleeding made me get a TURP in May 2015 and it had the best results. In 2013 I needed 8 pints of blood, in 2015, I needed 6 pints of blood. However 6 months after the TURP, my prostate was still growing so I asked the doctor to give me a prescription for Dutasteride because I didn't want to need another TURP. He wanted to give me Finasteride but I had read the Dutasteride was stronger. I've been on 0.5 Mg. per day of Dutasteride for more than 4-1/2 years and have had no side effects and no more problems. It cut my PSA down from 7 to 1.6. With Durasteride you double the PSA, so the equivalent score is 3.2. My PSA hasn't been that low in 30 years. When I started the BPH treatments in 2011, my Prostate was 128 Gr. By May 2015 is was 305 Gr. It was 290Gr. when I started taking the Dutasteride in Nov 2015. My doctor said he never saw as large a prostate as mine or one that grew as fast. The guarantees are just averages for many patients. How any one person does is a crap shoot.

• Posted

At 4 weeks out and lots of problems still, this is strangely good to hear.The bladder spams are probably the worse thing. Yes 45-90 minutes if I am lucky. I just stand up, leave forward with my hand on the wall and plan for pain. 27 days, 20 times a day and I spend way to much time in the bathroom. Today something spasmed and it felt like I need to go every 10 minutes? I started walking in the carport back and forth and that seemed to help? Then took one of those bladder spasm pills I took the 1st week. Now its been 2 hours 35 minutes? Was it the walking or the pill or something else?

• Posted

Its ALL helpful! I am at 4 weeks and trying to get a handle on what is a normal recovery? This blog is way better that Doctor sites and promote the procedure with out showing hands on survival of those who have done it. I hear stories of guys that went back to work after 2 weeks.

4th week is better than first or second week, but its all been HELL! The pains and spasms change week to week, not much better, but different.

Right now erections are painful. I can be having a great dream, but wake in pain! I am in survival mode at day 29. Its been every 45-90 minutes to pee, but spasms can tell me I need to pee every 15 minutes. I walked a bunch tonight and it seemed to extend the need to go?

Hearing it takes more than 4-6 weeks is what I needed to hear. Progress if any is very slow or minimal.

• Posted

yes, i had chunks of tissue in my urine in weeks 6. it could be my scabs falling out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.