TURP Problem

Posted , 8 users are following.

I subscribe to a service called Practice Update by Elsevier. They just reported the following quote of part of the article.

Investigators found similar reductions in the IPSS among men undergoing aquablation and TURP in the overall sample; however, among men with prostate volume greater than 50 g, improvement associated with aquablation exceeded that of TURP. Interestingly, the risk of anejaculation was much lower among men undergoing aquablation than TURP (2% vs 41%).

Anejaculation means no ejaculation.

Neal

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

My consultant who is the lead for aquablation in the UK reckons the current trial is getting about 10% with anejaculation.

(I was due for an aquablation at the end of the month but have decided to cancel it for the moment and carry on as I am since I am 'managing' and not in a critical state)

• Posted

My Urologist told me that Aquablation is a safer TURP, with a much lower side effect profile but the longest recovery of any procedure he knows of, including TURP. Given the success they are having with Rezum on large prostates and adjustments they're making to Urolift for large median lobes, it would seem that even with the improvements Aquablation brings over TURP, for many its more than is needed in terms of recovery.

• Posted

I remember a few men hear complaining about Rezume being painful. I that still the case or was it inexperienced doctors causing pain?

Urolift just does appeal to me. No tissue is removed its just compressed together. I know you guys that have had it love it but those clips permanently inside my prostate isn't appealing either.

• Posted

supposed to read

Urolift just does not appeal to me

• Posted

Urolift doesn't appeal to me for the same reason. Every time something bad happens to my plumbing, I will suspect those clips for sure. Hank

• Posted

Good evening.  I have had them for over 3 years I have never felt them at all.  To each is own   Ken
    • Posted

Maybe so but if your prostate continues to grow after Urolift then it just becomes more dence. I can't see how that could be a good solution in the long run. That said we rarely hear bad things about it. I guess I just can't wrap my head around it.

• Posted

When I had my  first Urolift, my prostate was less than 80cc.  I had some more clips put in 5 months later for a total of 9.

2 years later my prostate is 123cc.  I still can pee.  The Urolift tags appear still to be holding somehow, presumably subsumed by the increased volume.

I have had various groin pain issues which I thought might be due to urolift tags but these problems have virtually gone.  Another suspect I had is the mesh that was put in 15 years ago for my double hernia.  But again no substantiation.

• Posted

Good morning.  2% is much better odd on retro.  Now your getting how good the doctor is. Aquablation is just another way of doing a TURP.  But instead of just going in and cutting away everything   Aquablation is map out and you can avoid all the good stuff and not have retro.  I this this is good.  Lets hope the research continue going forward with good outcomes.  There is all way hope  Ken

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.