TURP Procedure – Personal Experience

Posted , 10 users are following.

Introduction

This one-page document summarizes my experience with the TURP Procedure for BPH:

•The procedure was a great success (see statistics below).

•However, recovery was much longer than expected.

•Communication could be improved – both before and after the procedure.

Statistics (59 yrs)

My Subjective Experience

Before Surgery

My Urologist recommend a TURP straight after the Cystoscopy for BPH; no cancer was detected. I don’t remember receiving much information about the TURP - except that Retrograde Ejaculation (RE) was a 50% probability – so I had to do my own research:

• After a month of googling, I most concerned about (a) RE; (b) Incontinence; and (c) TURP versus Laser.
  • I sought out a second opinion from a different Urologist who confirmed a few facts:

** Tamsulosin is recommended as a first step (see stats above).

** Other procedures (such as Laser) were no better than TURP.

** RE was a 100% probability (not 50%).

** Ultrasound revealed I was retaining 175ml of urine.

TURP Procedure

I had the TURP on Friday 22nd Feb 2019. I spent two nights in Hospital. The Hospital Staff at the Wellington Southern Cross Hospital and my Urologist were fantastic. I had only a little pain and only took ibuprofen twice. I returned home on Sunday and was back at Work on the following Thursday.

Recovery

I received a short pamphlet after the Operation which said: “resume normal activity after two weeks”. This advice turned out to be problematic. What is normal? Normal for me is a lot of exercise:

*I went to the gym and started cycling after about 3-4 weeks; chronic pain resulted after every urination – so I had to back off.

*Minor stress incontinence and urgency was an issue. I washed my jeans every day. The problem is fading.

*Now at 9 weeks, I am 90% recovered. I have just started to cycle again.

*In terms of sexual activity, RE is now a factor – but it does not limit the experience - so no problem.

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

Hi. thanks for the info. I have also had my TURP about 2 month ago. The night visits to the toilets has been reduced to 1 or 2. the daily runs are usually more frequent.

I am also experiencing the RE factor. however what's worries me the most is the flow. it was stronger a month ago. whereas now a bit weak. I am planning to see my doc on Sat.

• Posted

No reports of blood in urine or catheter use?

• Posted

blood yes. but not to be seen. I have shared my urine tests with my dr. of which said that in view of the operation the results are normal. after the hospital I.never had to use catheter.

• Posted

I sent this report back to my Urologist so wanted to keep it to one page.

i had very little blood. very slight oink colour in urine for first half second when urinating. this lasted off and on for maybe 4 weeks. i suspect it was half a teaspoon of blood or less.

i had maybe 2 or 3 times with blood from weeks 4 to 8 usually after attempts to restart exercise.

i did not use a catheter at all. i had a catheter for 2 days while i stayed in hospital for 2 days. after that no catheter.

• Posted

I had a TURP 3 years ago and totally recovered my Continence and had a good flow, but after 2 years my Prostate grew again and a repeat of the procedure was advised. As I had Cancer although small in my Prostate, I asked for it to be removed as I did not want TURP's every 2 years. Last May I had my Prostate removed and was advised Incontinence would be a problem as the op is more difficult after a TURP, but as I had recovered previously I thought I could do the same. Unfortunately I still have a problem which is likely to require a further op to sort out as the sphincter valve is not working. My reason for posting this is to make sure others who have Cancer even on Active Surveillance may be better to have the Prostate removed first rather than a TURP, but certainly discuss the options with your Consultant.

• Posted

Doug: What do the values on the x-axis of your charts represent? Number of days after the TURP operation or something else?

• Posted

hours. these were three 24 hour logs.

• Posted

Had that about 16 years ago. Didn't do anything to help me. Since then, their is no ejactulation. Big mistake.

• Posted

Sorry to hear that. I sympathise.

For the benefit of others: Before the op, I was understandably concerned about Retrograde Ejaculation as I am sure everyone is. I read various reports that orgasms felt no different - excerpt that there was no visible evidence since everything went backwards into the bladder - however I was still skeptical.

No after the operation, I can confirm that this is true - for me at least. It is probably very subjective. I would say that the orgasm is about 80-90% as satisfying - but sex overall is about 98% as satisfying.The organism is less than half the story.

From my wife's perspective, I think she would say it is a benefit - since she does not have to make that trip to the bathroom for tissues.

• Posted

My TURP on 2/20 went better. I stayed 1 night in the hospital and went home w/o a catheter. My doc said wait 3 weeks before resuming exercise. I started running again at the 3 week mark and had no issues other than having to get my wind back. No blood or scabs after the 4 week point. Flow is subjectively much stronger and voiding volume is almost double. Getting up only once at night about half the time. Hadn't happened for years before the procedure. I had RE before so that doesn't bother me. I am totally happy with the result.

• Posted

great. yes i think running wold be ok but cycling not. i also went to the gym again too early and resumed crunches and puship. six sets of 60 for both. i tbink it is the pressure on the abdomen that makes the prostate flare up again. i got strong refered pain around anus and penus for several minutes after urination. backed off the cycling and gym and then all good again after 4 to 5 days.

• Posted

Doug,

A few questions for you:

What are the numbers on the bottom of the graph - days, weeks or??

Was your procedure a monopolar TURP or bipolar?

Did you not go home with a catheter?

Is your exercise intensity lower than before, and is this improving?

How many times were you getting up at night vs now?

Are you still taking the Tamsulosin, and if so, do you plan on stopping it in the future?

How many weeks did it take for you to feel as if the operation really made a difference?

Tom

• Posted

the numbers are hours. therese were the results of three 24 hour logs.

monopolar or bipolar. not sure. urologist said it was modern so no risk of nerve damage with associated sexual issues.

no i did not go home with a catheter. was removed just before i left hospital.

i stopped tsking tamulosin shortly before the op. i only took it 3 months. urlogist said i had 2 yrs on tamuloson tops before ending up in ER so elected for TURP.

in terms of flow it make a difference straight away. however had accidents and urgency for about 5 to 6 weeks.

i was getting up 5 times a night. now i get up once even with coffee. it took a while for the bladder to regain its elasticity.

i could not cycle for 8 weeks.

• Posted

the numbers are hours. therese were the results of three 24 hour logs.

monopolar or bipolar. not sure. urologist said it was modern so no risk of nerve damage with associated sexual issues.

no i did not go home with a catheter. was removed just before i left hospital.

i stopped taking tamulosin shortly before the op. i only took it 3 months. urlogist said i had 2 yrs on tamuloson tops before ending up in ER so elected for TURP.

in terms of flow it make a difference straight away. however had accidents and urgency for about 5 to 6 weeks.

i was getting up 5 times a night. now i get up once even with coffee. it took a while for the bladder to regain its elasticity.

i could not cycle for 8 weeks.

• Posted

Doug,

Thanks for your answer. I had a bipolar TURP about 4 weeks ago and recovery progress is slow. My biggest issue is that I am still getting up 6-7 times per night and even though my flow is slightly improved I can't seem to retrain my bladder to ignore the urge to wake up and head for the bathroom. Takes me about 10-15 minutes in 3-5 attempts to clear enough our of my bladder to get back to sleep. Hoping I will continue to improve as the weeks go on. Getting a good night's sleep is a very big deal.

Tom

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.