TURP Surgery - Yes or NO?.......

Posted , 15 users are following.

My urologist states I need TURP Surgery, but I've heard of so many bad experiences by patients, that I would like to consider other treatment options. My urologist has scheduled a TURP Surgery for next Wednesday, August 3rd so I must decide fast what my next step will be.....Has anyone on this website tried any other bladder/prostate treatments and had success?....My bladder Stop Emptying Voluntarily after I had a negative reaction to anthesia for a lung operation on June 15th. ...The urologist tried several Trial Voids, but None worked...Last Friday, the urologist ran a Uro Dynamics Test on my bladder muscle which indicated that it  was very weak...The urologist "hopes": the TURP would "remove sufficient tissue blockage" of my urethra by my "swollen prostate" so as to allow the urethra to them "empty my bladder"...Currently, I have a "direct bag catheter" thai I empty several times per day..The urologist states that if I don't have the TURP, my only options left will be the "direct catheter" or "me inserting a catheter" every time I need to pee...This "Patient Article" indicates there might be several other "treatment options" including "laser surgery"...Any Suggestions would be beneficial...  .

0 likes, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Like paul20443, I agree that's all really good advice - if possible try PAE and see how that works, but HoLEP is a much better procedure than TURP, and most medication only seems to work for a short time if an enlarged prostate is causing the problem. Good luck with whatever you decide, but the information on this site has been a revelation to me, and I'm so pleased a had a HoLEP.

• Posted

Randy,

what you read on this blog about TURP, it is not right at all. Those who write negative staff about TURP never had a procedure done and info is not from their experience. 

I had TURP on June 1,2016 and I am very satisfied with outcome of surgery. 

My only surprise was that TURP found prostate Ca in my case but that is not just because TURP is bad.

people satisfied with TURP jusualy do not post on this forum.

Recovery was fast and easy and btw. I am 51 year old.

good luck with your choice.

• Posted

You know that all men are diffrent and not all procedures work.  You were lucky that your out come was good and you can deal with the side effects.  The doctoc does not even know if it will help help.  So why have it done.  Try other things first before you have part of your body cut out.  We all have to pick what we feel is good for us..  For every 1 good Turp procedure there are 10 bad ones..  I hope he gets all the information he needs to make the right pic...As you know I am not a fan of the old procedures....Ken 
    • Posted

Ken,

Do you think it It is honest to trash it just because you hate it?

I am talking from my own experience and I am not urologist as you and other on this forum suspect.

• Posted

MK   I am just giving my opinon.  I feel it it wrong,  Just because I say that I don't like it is not going to change any man mind.  If that is what he whats more power to him. I hink before a man has any procedues he should watch the video of it. You are one of the lucky ones.  You have none of the leaking and the incontinence and if you can deal with retro they it good for you.     Some men can't handle that.  it is not the same for all men.  Sometime after the surgery the orgasm is the same but there are the ones that you feel nothing.  Some men after a turp will not have sex because the feeling is not there like before I have not had a turp but I was on a couple of pills a few years ago.  That gave me retro.  The orgasm was not the same. You have the build up and then it goes flat.  I got off that as some as I can.  That is why I had a uro-lift.  My prostate was large and the lobes were push together.  They just had to pull them apart.  At 61 my orgasms are very intense and I ejaculate more now then when I was younger.  My urologist does not to alot of the old procedure he is alway learning new way to help men out without giving up anything.  He has told me that the only way he will do a turp is a last restort after trying other things.  There are sometime that a turp is the only way to open up the tract if the medien lobe is in the bladder.  You have no choise but to cut it out.  I just want men to have a good life and look at all the options before they pick sometings and get all the information they can.  Doctor only tell you a few thing about a procedure and they when it done you have a few surprises.  Life is to short not to have it all.  I will not give up one for the other.  I wish you good health and I hope all stay good for you.  Men are the ones that has to deal with anything that goes worng not the doctor.  Take care and have a nice day.  PS  Care I ask if the doctor offered anything else are Turp was the only thing he does?????  Ken   

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.