TVH Uterine and Bladder Prolapse and Anterior Repair

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi Ladies!  I am post op 7 weeks now, surgery on 2/22/18.  I had total vaginal hysterectomy due to uterus and bladder prolapse with repairs.  I am 63 years old and had fairly early menopause at 47 years old.  Well, I was bouncing along just fine for nearly 16 years with minimal menopause symptoms then BAM last year over Christmas I developed a bladder prolapse;  following in my mother’s shoes somewhat as it happened to her.  I followed up this misfortune with my gynecologist and found out my uterus was prolapsing causing my problems. I had not been to my gynecologist in over 5 years.  Maybe I would have found out I was headed to this had I gone regularly for my yearly check-ups?  Hmmm ...

It’s been a slow recovery back to normalcy but from what I’ve been gleaning from reading here it takes a long time to really get back to normal.

I am fairly active and love to get outside and ride my bike.  I can’t imagine getting on it right now.  I pray I will be able to soon.  The thing that has been bothering me the most since surgery is the itchy rubbing feeling up in my vagina after walking for any length of time and the feeling of heaviness in my pelvic area.  My doctor says I had alot of stiches inside.  Maybe they are the cause?

If any of you happen to read this and have had similar or same surgery I would love to hear your story and how you are getting along.   Speedy and full recovery to all of you, ladies and sisters of hysterectomies!!!

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi Karen.

Your story sounds very similar to mine. 

I’ve been reading and sharing with the ladies on and off for about 4 days. 

My menopause also began in my mid to late 40’s. In addition, I stopped my regular gynecological visits. My partial hysterectomy was done March 22nd. 2018. My physician strongly suggested that I have the hysterectomy while in my late 30’s after deciding not to have another child. I opted out and  now paying the price of other issues that developed over the years. I had not anticipated this recovery period and this much discomfort. I’m normally very active. My husband is not totally convinced that I should be off of my feet this long. Many in my family had thought that this surgery would be a quick fix and I’d be back to cooking, cleaning and an entire host of things. Thankfully, I paid my niece to shop and prepare food for about a week. What is your take on how long will it be before we’re back to household nonsense? LOL After 2 weeks, I’m still exhausted and find myself falling back into bed after a few hours of being up. I love long walks and was told to take short walks around the house, limited trips on stairs. I have doctor’s appointment on Tuesday.

I’m still very uncomfortable, my bladder and bowel functions are very uncomfortable. There’s tremendous pressure on my lower abdomen.  My mind feels scattered, though my ovaries haven’t been removed and I’d begun menopause 7 years ago. The support corset is very uncomfortable! 

Thank you for sharing your storybiggrin)

• Posted

Hi Hot Tempered!  Thanks for sharing.  Definitely don’t do any lifting, pushing, or pulling and bending for awhile.  I’m staying away from housework for at least 12 weeks!  Just recently (7 weeks after surgery) I have started cleaning the kitchen a little and some quick cooking.

Don’t let the husband and kids let you do everything.  Make them understand how you are feeling and that you don’t want to risk going back in the hospital to repair something that might happen because you’ve done too much to soon.

I did get exhausted easily after walking very long or just riding in the car for a quick outing but it seems to be getting better gradually.  Laughing and sneezing and coughing have just now gotten better - I don’t have to hold my abdominal muscles in so much.  Before now I felt like something would tear in there if I didn’t.

Check back in here after a few weeks  if you can to let me know how you are getting along.  Heal well and take care of yourself. 😀

• Posted

I forgot to mention.  I go to my doctor next week for my 3rd visit since surgery.  I hope to find out about Kegel excercises.  He said I would be instructed how to do those soon.  

What is the “support corset” you are talking of?  Is that a pessary you are referring to?  I’ve heard those can be uncomfortable and hard to keep clean.  Im hoping that the Kegels will keep my pelvic floor more strengthened and that I can keep doing them consistently once I start.

I’m sorry you are having bladder and bowel difficulties.  Maybe you need stool softeners more regularly?  Fortunately I’ve had no problems with my bladder or bowel function.  Definitely tell your doctor about it.

• Posted

Hi KAren

I've had exact same up as you 11 wks post up tvh and anterior repair.

I know what you mean by a running feeling . I tend to feel it low down near urethra but at my 6 wks check all was fine.. We forget the amount of cutting pulling and pushing is involved in the surgery,we put too much pressure on ourselves to get back to normal. I still have tiny plastic stitches come away so I know I'm still healing. I have booked an appointment to get checked a t 12 wks so I know what I feel is normal. I still done lift a kettle even now as I feel it's too early,I am very cautious hun. Please don't worry unnecessary,get checked by your surgeon hun. I'm here if you want to chat. Rest up xxx

• Posted

Hi welshgirl. It’s nice to talk to someone who’s had similar surgery.  I too am taking my time before lifting anything very heavy.  I haven’t even made my bed in 7 weeks!  

I think I may be like you, very cautious.  🤛🏻

I am getting those post op checks at the doctor and going on my 3rd since surgery.  Everything is healing like it’s supposed to according to the good doctor.  One day at a time!

• Posted

Hi Karen,

We have the same case.   Mine is going 3 months on the 17 of  april.  Maybe your stitches in vagina is healing.  I had that after 3wks on my anus and i put a little of vaseline (petroleum jelly)  and it helped.  I felt heavy on my lower ab too but now that i am almost 3 months it does not bother me much but still am careful not lifting snd avoid reaching /bending that  may cause strain on my pelvic/anus.  Going forward i hope snd prsy for complete recovery and uou too my dear ladies.  God bless!

• Posted

Hi delia,

Thank you for your kind words.  God bless you too!  

It’s interesting to know you have gone through similar things as I have.  Like you I feel that it is probably the stitches in my vagina causing the slight discomfort.  I’m also careful not to lift, push or pull anything too heavy for a good while.  My doctor said I should get in the habit of bending down a certain way and not from the waist the rest of my life.  I’m finding that hard to do. 

Would love to know how well you are getting along as time goes by.  Take care. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.