TVT and posterior repair

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hallo all you girls.....Isnt it great to get support and advice from fellow women?  I am 3 weeks past TVT and posterior repair. Some of you ladies seem to get lots of probs but so far..none at all. Yes,I was expecting to be sore and needing a ring cushion...a good idea to get this before you go in.. for tender bits but apart from that I am really pleased with the outcome of both procedures. Pain immediately after the op was minimal with Morphine and then paracetamol. First 'poo' expect to be a bit painful...you must RELAX and not strain and above all you must use something like FYBOGEL every day to keep the motion soft.   I didnt need any painkillers after 1 week. Make sure you have plenty of sanitary towels when you are discharged as you will bleed a bit and then have a brownish disharge which will gradually fade to creamy yellow. Please no Tampons!!!

So many people have told me to take it easy so I reckon allow 100 days and try to improve 1% each day. No lifting or standing long periods. Dont be bamboozled into doing stuff because you feel guilty......look after your body,ladies! 

As for the TVT... I pondered this for a long time but i am so glad to get it done. Havent spilled a drop when coughing sneezing etc. Only works for stress incontinence which I had for a long [10 years] time . Expect some blood in your urine at first but this quickly clears. The 2 external stitches are a good indicator of how you are healing internally. 

Avoid baths because of the risk of infection but showers are OK.

Hope all this helps those thinking of the ops but a bit scared. Stay positive  and you will soon be on the mend.   

2 likes, 27 replies

27 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Forgot to ask.

How long do we wear these compression stockings for? I dont go for my first check up till 6 weeks from now.

Discharge instructions werent very imformative in my case

• Posted

I was told to wear them for 2 weeks. I thoght this was a long time but as I couldnt sit on a chair for 2 weeks and spent a lot of time just laying around I think that 2 weeks is probably right.  
  • Posted

Big thank you!

they are uncomfortable and want to roll down from the top but its better than what could happen....counting the days

• Posted

Has anyone had sharp razor like pains running from your external wounds? I am 6 days post op TVT and can hardly walk or move without experiencing pain from the left side wound. Is it possible for the tape to move or twist? I feel like I'm being sliced in my pubic area. I just want to know if this is normal?
  • Posted

Hi Marina Dee, I am 7 days post op and getting exactly the same type of pain (but right side). I am trying to find out if it is normal pain too Because it only started this yesterday. Unfortunately the replies you got have been deleted
    • Posted

I think its probably the tissues surrounding the tape settling down as they try to bond around it. It should gradually settle down. I used painkillers for this. However if it gets really unbearable you should see your doc for reassurance. Where did you have your op UK or ??
  • Posted

Thank you and that's a little reassuring. My pain is more manageable today too which is also a good sign. I'm not convinced that the TVT has helped but  perhaps too early to know. I had my op in the southwest of UK.
    • Posted

Its very early days ...I reckon 100 days for complete recovery. Although you should feel much better after 30 days.   My TVT was a100% success. It only works for stress incontinence...ie leaking when you cough,sneeze,jump,lift heavy things etc.  If you leak a bit through urge incontinence, ie cant get to the loo on time you have to train your bladder to do what YOU want and not what it wants to do. Sounds daft I know but it works. I had my op in Kent.  I have sent you some info in a private message. Click on messages in top right corner.
    • Posted

Thank you again and for the fb group. I will just be glad when the bruising and pain goes then I will know if the TVT was worth it. I just thought the pain from this and the repair would be the same as the hysterectomy 2 years ago but it's completely different... Worse perhaps. I get my ring cushion today so maybe I'll be able to sit in a chair again! Lol
  • Posted

HI Marina,

I'm have a posterior repair and the TVT done July 14th. I live in Canada and for us it's day surgery - therefore I'll be heading home later that day. I also am having it done with a spinal block and some sedation - no general anestetic.

How was yours done? I'd like to know what it's like not being put under.

Linda

• Posted

Hi Lindie....I had a posterior repair at the same time as the TVT. Thought I was going to have a spinal block but was told that the consultant liked all his patients to have a general unless there was a good reason why not.

I have sent you a private message with info you might find helpful. Click on 'messages' top right hand corner

• Posted

Hi, I decided to write this for others going through this rotten procedure! I am 4 weeks and 3 days post posterior repair and TVT. First week was horrendous, hadn't bargained on stitches in perineal area - omg was like sitting on glass. Luckily they are in between, not on the edge as you get with a cut in chidbirth.  They tightened and were so painful i was in despair. I got lidocane numbing gel which eased a little and frozen peas in the area to keep sweling down. Make sure you take naproxen or nurofen too to keep swelling down.  When constipated this pain was multiplied ten fold. Obtain micralax enemas from GP if you can before your procedures - you will be so glad you did. Even at this time my bowels aren't working on their own.

I got the perineal stitches out about day 4, couldn't telerate them. Posterior repair stitches are running stitches so can't come out, have to dissolve, thi takes weeks, i still have two inside. Day 8 I got the tvt two holding external stitches out - that evening pain was terrible, as the tvt was now not stitched in pace, the surrounding muscles were holding it. These are muscles unused to this so pain was like being in labour.  It did ease but tookk a couple of days.

So I continue to improve and am pain free, relatively speaking. GP says walk more due to constipation so i duly take a walk round the shops - big mistake.  Do not wak far ladies - I did and it resulted in fife days of labour like pain and no sleep. An extra trip to the consultant as I feared I had done damage just through walking. Got extra painkillers and checked over - alll ok but did too much.  If you take a short walk around the house its fine but don't assume as pain free you are on the mend. Take it vey slowly or the pain wil resurface and it takes days to disappear.  Remember everything has moved and new muscles are working which never did before - the pain is huge.  So gently does it, no lifting, bend as little as you can, walk very slowly too. The minute you feel flushed, achy or pulling, stop. Hope this helps, look forward to hearing any stories a coule months on from mine, hope it helps, W

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.