Tvt op shall I have it done as I’ve heard so many horrid stories about it

Posted , 6 users are following.

I’ve just had phone call to go and have op in 2 wks( tvt )so nervous,what is people’s opinion on this op,thankyou

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Yes alot of bad reviews.My consultant does use it now,& i didn't want that anyway.Your decision.Have a good think about it first..x

• Posted

Jane I had this procedure about 3years ago and have been delighted with the outcome. No more leaks and no more pads. A new lease of life.

Yes,all these procedures which use tapes and mesh have been under the spotlight  recently,but it seems the larger operations are the main culprits for problems post op,as the mesh is supporting heavy organs in these cases.

The TVT procedure was found to have the least problems.  No more than for any other type of  supportive bladder operation. All procedures and operations carry a risk and these should have been explained to you by your consultant who should be a urogynaecologist. If you are in UK Every surgeon is required to tell the patient the possible risks of an operation,but it does not mean there is a huge risk.

I'm assuming you have had all the urodynamics tests .

Any consent is entirely up to you.  Make sure you give yourself time to heal,no sex for 3 months as the tape has to embed in the vaginal wall.  If you have a family to look after make sure you have lots of help. Put yourself first.

• Posted

I can only speak to my positive experience/result with the interstim implant via minor surgery; huge lessening of leaking, urgency, etc. I personally recommend it.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

• Posted

Hi Jane PLEASE don’t have this op until you have researched it. Join the ‘sling the mesh’ site on face book and see what people have to say about it. I wouldn’t go within a mile of it, but it’s your decision. Please make an informed one. Best of luck x 
  • Posted

Hi Jane I had tvt in 2014, unfortunately it didn’t work for me at all and I continue to struggle.  I have had an ongoing pain since the procedure which luckily for me comes and goes depending on my position.  As said by others it is in the media spotlight at present and I would advise you to seriously consider the issues that are being presented.  I saw the consultant this week and the tvt was dismissed as a cause of pain, even though my symptoms are worsening and having difficulty voiding.  Please look into the ‘Sling the Mess’ group, they are there to give support and advice.  Obviously the decision is completely yours, either way the situation we ladies are in is difficult to manage and discuss at the best of times!  I hope whichever you choose has a successful outcome for you. X
  • Posted

Hi Jane have a look at ‘contiform’ and ‘contam’ pessary on the internet, they may be a good alternative for you. I am considering trying them. Good luck x 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.