Tvt tape operation. Scared I've undone it bending down to pick washing up.

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been given very little advice on leaving hospital last Thursday 14th may. I've been lifting wash loads and putting them in and steady walking (not far).  I'm exhausted, down and tearful. I can't sleep and have an awful dragging feeling. The left side of my groin bled badly so it's black and blue.  Is all,of this normal please.  Also how much time do folk have off work with this op.  I work with a lady who has cancer and she is coming in between chemo to keep her mind focussed. This makes me feel guilty but I want this op to work so badly for me..

0 likes, 18 replies

18 Replies

• Posted

Sorry I can't be of any help to you but I am interested in this op. Did you go NHS or private? I hope you get some replies from others who have had the op. Sounds painful but I'm sure and hope it will be worth the pain in the long run. The depression should pass when you're more active. Maybe a trip to your doctor for some advice and support or a home phone call to put your mind at rest..
  • Posted

Hi you are not supposed to lift anything heavy for 6 weeks. No intercourse for 6 weeks. Can go back to work with in 2 weeks if not heavy work. You should have been given a 6 week checkup by your consultant. But I would ring the ward you had your op and get advice as you should not be bleeding from the insertion as you will have a stitch in it. I would ring asap as the mesh goes hard in 6 weeks and then not supposed to be removed. If it has moved then your body could reject it and it may erode and can cut threw nerve, bladder, vaginal wall, ureatha, etc please get checked asap and do not be fobbed of by doctor saying this is normal. Ask if there is a translibial scan they can do to see it the tape is in place. X-ray, MRI, ct scan does not see the tape. If you need any more advice there is a group messed up mesh hope this helps and good luck xxx
  • Posted

hi. It's not bleeding now, this was just after I came out of theatre but as a result it's very bruised. I've rung the ward and going back this afternoon to get checked.  It's more the aching dragging feeling and the exhaustion I'm struggling with.  

I had had the op on the nhs but had to have several tests including urodynamics which was horrendous, as they don't refer you for surgery lightly. Now I can see why.  It's got to be better than my quality of life prior to having it done though. hopefully

• Posted

I had the urodynamics and had TVT for prolapse and Sui and I woke with a pain in my buttock in December 2013 and now on crutches and wheelchair. I am awaiting removal 450 miles away as my surgeon can only take the centre and not the arms. My surgeon said she must of pulled my back on the table so out me on a nerve tablet now on morphine and high nerve block as it is either cutting threw it touching nerve. I will not let my consultant to put a camera in my bladder to see if she can see fibres as she can't take it out so don't want her touching me. She done an internal said tape was snug when a private scan showed it was not fitted properly. There are tapes that have worked very well and really hope your is one of them good luck this afternoon keep us informed xxx
    • Posted

omg. Sounds awful Claire. Sorry to hear that. Will let you know how I get on thank you x
    • Posted

If you feel that you are been fobbed of stand your ground. It's hard to do but for the outcome it's worth trying good luck xx
    • Posted

hi.  I took your advice and went back to the ward and so glad I did.  Because I lost blood last week during my op, my iron levels are very low so I am going for an infusion Hopefully today.  My tummy is sore when they examined me so I am having a scan.  Not sure what the scan involves, is it like sonography?  Thank you 😊
    • Posted

I am so glad you did and hopefully get it all sorted for a speedy recovery. When you go for the scan ask the sonographer what scan he is doing. You are not being cheeky. It is your body and you want to know. The scan that shows the mesh up is a transvaginal ultrasound but it is vague. Translibial ultrasound is the scan you really want. This does not hurt but may be slightly uncomfortable. Please keep

Me informed and good luck xxx

• Posted

thank you. Omg is it an internal scan. I'm so sore I can't stand anymore!,  still waiting for phone call tO go get all of this sorted 😔😔
    • Posted

It is an internal ultrasound and external ultrasound and I know what you feel like been saw inside. But you really need to grit your teeth and let them do it as after 6 weeks the tape goes hard and it is not made to be removed. There is not many consultants that can remove the arms of the tape. I have to travel 450 miles to have my tape removed.

I went to see a second opinion doctor who asked my husband if he can feel the tape inside me when we have sex. My husband didn't know what to do or say as that part of our marriage has gone because of the pain inside. So please grit your teeth and don't let this thing inside you destroy your life. Get it sorted so you can have a lovely life xxx

• Posted

HI hope you are ok sorry i couldnt answer sooner but have been in hospital myself ,seems you are moving in the right direction in getting things sorted out, you must take it esy no lifting hoovering or anything strenuous,take care x

• Posted

hello, I just wanted to up-date the kind people who have responded and anybody else going through the same.  I'm on antibiotics as precautionary for my heamatoma and they have not given me an iron transfusion but iron tablets so I guess it's going to take longer for me to feel more energised.  I do have lower tummy pain and my only concern at the moment is the left hand stitch is very tight and a big lump underneath it with is giving me grief.

has anybody out there had problems with the stitches.  One if fine, it's the other one that you can see the flesh underneath protruding.

• Posted

Glad that you are on the mend ,the vaginal area heels very quickly and the scarring kind of alters shape as swelling goes down,still early days for you,take it easy no lifting hoovering and nothing strenuous,take care of yourself xx

• Posted

Hi I am sorry my stitches were fine had to go see a nurse at GP to get them out but both were clean and well. I am glad you are going in the right direction of getting better keep us posted please l&p claire xxx
  • Posted

Hi. I just wanted to know if things improved for you. I had a tvt sling fitted a week ago for stress incontinence but no other repairs. Feel a little worse off than before the surgery and it's making me anxious. I actually didn't ask what to expect after the op but if I'm honest I just expected to be dry straight away. I now have an urge issue and sometimes leak just standing up. I also can't stop my flow. I'm hoping I'm just being impatient. I have a telephone appt with a nurse in another week and I see my consultant in 12 weeks. Feeling okay with regards to tenderness and although flow is slow I think I'm emtying my bladder. Any reassurance greatly appreciated.
    • Posted

hi claire, i had my op on 13th may and i am now doing really well. I had complications as you may have read and quite a while off work.  I am not back to full fitness as in running but have noticed that i can walk with a full bladder and im fine, certainly wasnt before.  Just give it time. At first i was worried expectig it to be a miracle cure.  I dont think they prepare you to know what a painful delicate operation it is cutting into muscle tissue and how you feel afterwards.  I felt rotten but it does get better with rest!  Just take care of yourself and give it time. 
    • Posted

That's really good to hear. Thank you so much for replying, means a lot. I'm am really trying to be careful, but tricky with a 4 yr old and a clingy 16 month year old. Husband is being great though. I did sneeze today and was pleasantly surprised. I was quite bad before and just bending and walking could be an issue. So keeping optimistic that things improve and the urge issue gets better once I've healed more. Take care and thanks again.
    • Posted

Well good on you! I waited till my kids were 17 and 15 claire put up with it really  and so glad my doctor said to me that i dont have to grow old and regret not having something done about it.  Its not something you have to put up with.  My husband was good too, couldnt have got through without him although dont risk the bedroom nitty gritty for at least 6-8 weeks ha ha ... Good luck, i think you will be fine ....😀

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.