TWANGY DISTORTED HEARING

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all. ive been having distorted hearing now for about 5 months. At first i thought it was something that would go away but it hasnt. when it first began i was get pulsitile tinnitus in my right ear which the c toma was removed from, a stuffy nose , mainly in my right nostril and i could hear my self breathe which is worse in my left ear, which i have a retracted ear drum and c toma, which they havent removed. Every time i hear my self speak or others, at the end of a word or sentance, my hearing sounds twangy. ive noticed as well i get a slight burring which seems to make it worse , ive always had tinnitus so i know its nothing like that as it seems to improve, i think when i take pain relief, the distortion swaps ears and its not in both ears at the same time. The left is definately the worst when it starts. when i shake my head slightly side to side on the effected ear it sounds like i have the window down the car, that kind of sensation anyway. My ENT has cancelled two of my appt and i wont be seeing him now till march, which is soul destroying, as all of this started between 6 monthly check ups. I wear ear defenders when im out walking our dog and kids and in the house just to get a break from it. some times its not to bad and i can bear it but honestly im so depressed with it all. Ive been to doctors to see if i can get an earlier ENT appt at least 4 or 5 times now but got fobbed off. Has anyone else had this kind of thing? xx

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Nicola,

The first time this happened to me was about 2 years ago. But it was 5 years after I had the operations to remove my ctoma and repair the bones in my ear.

I made a trip down to the GP and they had a look inside my ear and discovered it was partially blocked with wax.. But in your case it may be the gunk that comes with the ctoma.. 😟 (which would explain the intermittent hearing loss) They then referred me to hospital to get my ear cleared and recommended that I keep my ear clean and dry at all times..

That would probably be a better option for you.. Rather than waiting until March 😥

Hope this helps.

Lewis.

• Posted

Hi lewis

Its not the wax, i wish it was that simple lol the strange thing is its effecting both ears..but not at the same time, ive been having tests very strange dizzy spells and im waiting to go back for results ect. its soul destroying knowing i cant get to see someone and ive tried and tried!! i am bilateral but c toma was removed in right ear but not left... the scans are to see whats going on ect, what im experiencing right now is awful, my hearing is fine in c toma free ear but my left, ive been pretty deaf for a long time..the things we go through eh!!! i hope your well lewis and thanks for the reply!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.