Twelve days after removal of metalware

Posted , 5 users are following.

Twelve days after the removal of metalware due to infection, just taken off the dressing!

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

As long as you are happy with the result, that is all what counts. I do slightly differ with your treatment, because you either have an osteotomy for a bunion or a fusion as a last result when the joint is full of arthritis. But all which counts really is that you are not in pain anymore. Most important thing :-)
    • Posted

I was hoping the second op, the fusion, to be the last!

During my first consultation the surgeon did suggest having the fusion done first as the arthritis was fairly extensive, but he said he would try the osteotomy first and see how that goes.

The bump was still there so the fusion and bump shaved more was needed, but the surgeon "overshot" the toe leaving the gap!

• Posted

Not sure how old you are, but should he not have offered you a toe joint replacement, that woud, depending on your age give you some mobility and should the arthritis then develope further in years to come, you could have still had a fusion. But you never can cure an arthritis riddled joint with an osteotomy. But to be honest Terry, if you are happy and have no pain, then all is well
    • Posted

I was 48 with the fist op.

I am still in pain and unable to wear shoes only Ugg style boots!

• Posted

So young then really!!!! Once you had a fusion there should be no more pain. That you will not be able to wear heels again is normal as your toe is fused and can not bent any more. But there should be no more pain. All in all not a very good out come of the operations. You do have my sympathy and I can only anagine the frustration you feel. I am correct that it was done under the NHS?
    • Posted

Hi Susann,

yes was done on the NHS, I have a follow up appointment middle of this month, the last appointment the surgeon said he was going to take a wedge of bone from my big toe to bring it in and straighten more.

I never wore high heels and always have worn pumps!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.