Twenty minute each way car journey to dentist = burning legs,arms, hands + feet + no sleep for two nights

Posted , 2 users are following.

I have cervical and lumbar spondylosis but I also have had peripheral neuropathy for about twenty years too, so I have learnt the difference between, and what triggers, the pain from these conditions but this latest episode was unlike anything I've experienced before. I live in the countryside side with lots of winding, bumpy lanes. So, was it the journey or the reclining chair at the dentist's which brought this awful episode on? It has been unbearable! Both hands and feet (which is the pattern for pn) but both arms and legs, up to and above the knees, which is not typical. I guess it could be the cervical spondylosis, but does it fit? I hardly go out anymore because I am in constant pain. This recent trip has really put me off. A rare event a couple of weeks ago, I went for a little trip in my electric wheelchair (I am also an amputee) and was in agony for days also, with the same pattern as above. As I said the lanes are very bumpy where I live. I feel really stuck now and worry that I may be doing my spine further harm by simply getting out of the house. Any advice please. Would be greatly appreciated.

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I have all the same diseases as you do and driving is what causes me the most pain. I want to scream when I am stuck in traffic so I do a lot of online shopping, have you tried acupuncture it helped me but Medicare won't pay for it. So crazy they will pay for a 100k surgery but no preventive care. I am not an amputee but I know you can get phantom pain for the loss of a limb. I would ask your dentist for gas while you are there as that will help. I am done with surgery although they say I need it, it seems every time I get a surgery to fix something I end up with more problems than I had before. But that is just my experience. Good luck! 

• Posted

Thanks for replying Nancy. I have just got off the phone with my daughter who a GP in London. She recommended acupuncture too. What a coincidence. She is actually going to train in it as she believes it can help the sort of pain we are in. I am going to give it a go because none of the pain meds help this kind of pain. I have tried them all. I am going to ask my GP for another MRI scan just to see how my spine is now, i.e no new prolapses causing the problem. But even if there are I am too far gone for surgery, so as long as there is nothing dangerous there is nothing to be done. Acupuncture is quite expensive but if it works!!!! Fingers crossed. Have you been able to have it and if so did it help you? It's crazy that Medicare won't pay for it but I guess there is no scientific evidence.

Next time I go to the dentist I will lie back as far as I can In the car and wear my collar. Can't have the gas because of other problems but thanks for the suggestion. Good luck, keep strong.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.