Twice operated thyroidectomy and parathyroidectomy

Posted , 2 users are following.

I was suffering parathyroid adenoma and was operated in June 2012 , surgeon removed my left lobe and parathyroid adenoma. After 45 days of op my pth level was normal. But in July 2013 my pth level was again high second time my sestamibi scan was negative , my surgeon on 19.05.16 removed my right thyroid lobe. But biopsy repot showed that just colloid nodule was removed no parathyroid tissue and adenoma seen. After 4 days of operation my pth was 173 . I am to much worried , my surgeon told me he explored both sides but remained fail to find parathyroid. Please suggest me now where maybe my parathyroid ?

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

So sorry to hear you are going through all of this and possibly unnecessarily.  Top surgeons say that intraoperative measuring is essential and only adds on another half an hour to the operation.  When they remove the adenoma, they can measure your pth whilst your neck is still open and if the pth does not go down significantly, then there must be an adenoma elsewhere.  I have a friend on the Hyperparathyroid group on Facebook who recently had to have a second operation because the second adenoma was missed and this makes it more dificult because of cutting through the old scar tissue.  I believe she had most of her thymus removed as did another lady as the bad gland was located there down in the chest area.    I wonder whereabouts you are and who your surgeon is. 

Emis Moderator comment: I have removed the link(s) directing to site(s) unsuitable for inclusion in the forums. If users want this information please use the Private Message service to request the details.

http://patient.uservoice.com/knowledgebase/articles/398331-private-messages

• Posted

I did reply to you about 7hours ago but I posted a link of a video showing where the parathyroid glands can be located but it's still waiting admin approval.  In the meantime come over to our group on Facebook "Hyperparathyroid UK Action4Change" where there are over 500 members all going through their own hpt hell and you will get a lot of support. 

Regards

Elaine

• Posted

Thanks elainec33 , still I couldn't see ur link because of admin. But I have joined ur group.

• Posted

I cannot imagine how a video done by an expert clinic showing where the parathyroid glands can be located is deemed unsuitable for this forum but hey ho, that's life.  At least you have the video now.
    • Posted

Good evening,

Thanks Elaine u did a great work to send me a video, it is really a hopefull for me. I was disappointed in this situation after second surgery. But now I am just searching a experienced surgeon. Keep in touch.

Regards

Mohammad4848

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.