Twisted ankle while in cast

Posted , 6 users are following.

I am 15 days post op and got a cast put on three days ago. Last night I was getting into the backseat of my car and my foot got caught in between the two seats on the console and my leg/foot twisted. It hurt a little, but wasn’t excruciating. It has been swollen and burning ever since though and kind of feels like the incision site is bleeding. I’m not sure if this is all in my head or if I could have possible messed something up? Has anyone else ever done this or something similar? Not sure if I should go see or call my doctor 

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi, KK234987

I would get it checked out, when I had a problem I phoned the plaster room at hospital for advice.

Hope this helps,

Good luck,

• Posted

Oh Nooooo, I fell While transporting from walker to scooter and I hit my cast on the floor.   It hurt a bit but not bad and it did swell a little.  I waited to call the doctor and it all went away.   I think the cast is safe enough to bump but the twisting thing I’m not sure about.   I can’t imagine you twisted it enough to harm anything. Those casts are like fiberglass and do a good job of keeping your foot in place.
    • Posted

That is what I was thinking.. and I don’t have any pain so I’m not sure if it’s necessary to call or not 
  • Posted

Yeah i would at least call my ortho/ podiatrist just to see what they say probably not a big deal but better safe then sorry.
  • Posted

Oh no!  It wouldn’t hurt to call your dr and explain the type of discomfort you’re having. My scars are still very tender etc and to even bump softly sends me into the worst kind of pain.  I have never taken pain pills bc I knew this was a life long situation.  It’s been almost 6 years .   I was a school teacher 21 years and haven’t been able to work.   I take Aleve for pain.  What do u do for pain management ?
    • Posted

I actually haven’t been taking anything except Tylenol PM at night to help me sleep. I can’t take any ibruprofen or things like that because I’m on Aspirin to prevent blood clots. I have been lucky and haven’t had a lot of pain. I do get a lot of burning though 
    • Posted

I can’t take nsaids bc of my stomach sad.  I just try to deal with it .  My orthopedic doctors say I’m lucky to have a foot bc I was at risk for amputation.   I looked into a total ankle replacement but my injuries are to complicated .  I just want it better 🙄

I had a 50 ft fall from a parasailing accident when I was 44.   This has been a nightmare for 6 years .   Just looking for any tips to help 

• Posted

Not sure what surgery you have had but definitely call your Doctor. Get it checked out. I caused big damage to my tibia years ago in a cast. Please please check it.
    • Posted

I had trimalleolar surgery. Have a lot 5 screws and a plate. What type of surgery did you have, how did you damage t and what did they do for it? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.