Twisted my leg a few days ago...think its a bit serious than I thought...

Posted , 4 users are following.

So a few days ago, I did something really stupid by twisting my leg. My foot stayed straight on the ground while my entire right leg shifted towards the left in a awkward motion. It hurt like crap! I fell to the ground and started screaming (yes it hurt that much!) and about 2 mintues went by when I had the courage to stand up. It stopped hurting but everything still felt a bit weird. I think I twisted my ankle a bit because the first 30 mintues after the incident, pain from my ankle was the only thing I felt.

Fast forward to today: I can walk without any terrible pain, but my knee feels a bit wobbly....unstable I should say. Muscle spasms are prominent all throughout my leg. When I bend my knee, I hear these grinding/crackly noises. Also, I feel a sharp pain if I make the same movement I did during that incident (twisting my leg). When I feel my left knee and compare it to my right knee, something seems a bit off. My right knee (the knee that is giving me trouble) feels somewhat dislocated? It doesnt seem as smooth as my left knee. It feels as if theres a lump...or my bone seems a bit more sharper and is standing up a bit more. Poking out I should say. It isnt noticable if you look at it, but as I felt around, it felt unusual.

I am going to see the doctor tomorrow but I cant help but search up every little thing. Is it a torn meniscus? A dislocated bone? Ugh, I just want to know! Has anyone experienced similar symptoms? Just curious.​

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

You could have torn tendons and ligaments. I did that when I slipped in the kitchen and knee bent underneath ne. I also tore meniscus but the pain was awful. Ended up in a splint for 3 weeks and on crutches. Eventually had menisus out. Took along time to heal. Iwent to urgent care at the time as it was New Years Day.
  • Posted

First, you will not know anything for sure until the doc does an x-ray.  If he doesn't see anything obvious, he'll order an MRI which is also often inconclusive.  At that point, the doc scopes your knee, sees what's wrong and fixes it.

Back in my 50's I had four knee MRIs (two each side)...all inconclusive...leading to four scopes.  Two ended up as meniscus repairs; in the other two cases, I had ripped my femoral condyle cartilage completely off.  The second condyle case happened when I got off a couch and stood on a tile floor.  My sneaker tread got caught in the grout line.  My foot stayed in one position, my body went 90-degrees to the right and my knee took the damage.  I thought it was meniscus...the doc found out otherwise by scoping the knee.  Ya never know... 

• Posted

I did similar while out walking. Rested it for three days with ice and it improved gradually tho still noticeable. Can you tell us what your says?

cheers and good luck.

• Posted

The doctor says that its probably just a knee sprain rolleyes I honestly thought that it would be much more serious. Everytime I touch my knees or even move them, I get this grinding feelings. And I get muscle spasms in my leg. All the time. Also, my knee feels so weird when walking...its as if it needs to be popped. It's so uncomfortable. The doctor moved my leg around and I felt no pain. He says there is no need for a X-Ray nor an MRI. He wrapped it up and suggested I apply heat to it and elevation. UGH. A freaking knee sprain? That bad? But the thing is is that there is no major pain or swelling. Only if I apply pressure on one part of my knee.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.