Twisted ovarian cyst?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm currently waiting on surgery to remove a 10cm ovarian cyst, my ovary and fallopian tube. In the last week, the pain has become unbearable at times and I have recently been prescribed codeine. But, I am a teacher and the codeine make me really drowsy and I can't take them when I go to work. But, If I don't take them I am in agony! My doctor thinks the cyst may be starting to twist which would explain the pain.

Has anyone got any advice for how to deal with this pain?

My surgery is currently scheduled for 6th July, but this could be pushed back.

I'm so sick of constantly being in pain!

Rebecca x

2 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

If you are really in a lot of pain Rebecca would get to A and e.

Ovarian Torsion is a medical emergency and they will do the operation as quick as possible - that day or within a couple days at worst.

I've had torsions twice caused by dermoid cysts and both times I've been misdiagnosed at first because I wasnt rolling on the floor with the pain.

Don't get me wrong - you would know something is seriously wrong. It's bloody painful and doesn't let up and I was also sick with the pain but the doctors are taught to look for 'excruciating pain' and not everyone deals with this in the way they expect.

Be pushy. If you think things have changed and you are really in a lot of pain then make sure they know it - don't try to be brave. I was very lucky I didnt lose an ovary first time and wasn't lucky enough thr second time .

good luck x

• Posted

Hi Jen,

Thanks for your reply. I am in a lot of pain but feel it's not bad enough to go to A&E! Don't like the thought of clogging up a list when the NHS is stretched enough as it is.

Sorry to hear you ended up losing an ovary. How are you feeling now?

Rebecca x

• Posted

I'm actually on the waiting list to lose the other! I've got another dermoid cyst on my remaining ovary - hopefully this time I'll make it to removal before it twists!

If you don't feel it needs a trip to a and e it probably doesn't. I was in unmanagable pain both times so if you are coping it might just be a case of keep on keeping on. But please do go if you feel it is unbearable. A torsion is an emergency for a reason - it cuts off the blood supply to your ovary which causes it to die and a dead organ in your body is not good for you! Its not clogging up a busy department when it's necessary.

Fingers crossed your op will be brought forward or your gp can find a pain killer that suits you x

• Posted

Rebecca,

When will you be out of school or are you year round?  If you are off soon demand to move your surgery with your doctor for sooner.  I was not in pain with mine, but my cyst wasn't twisted either.  I just felt the pressure when I bent down and I could feel it move.

Good luck and keep us posted if you have it sooner....

Kelley

• Posted

Hi Kelley,

I break up from school on 20th July... So I have a while to go yet! I need something sorting soon though as I can't wait that long. I also currently have a really bad water infection - I feel like this is linked to the cyst. Ah - get this can thing out of me!

Apologies for the rant!

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Been thinking about you.  How are you getting along?  Do you think you can wait till July to have surgery?  The pain from surgery was like nothing.  As I saw my doctor today he asked me about my pain and or if my pain was more from the hernia. I said I had pain from the hernia and his response was I knew you would.  My type of surgery(GYN) has little pain.

You will feel much better when you have the surgery and the cyst is out....

• Posted

Hi like you I had a 10 cm cyst and was waiting for surgery but mine twisted and I was rushed into a&e! I had to have emergency surgery. It isn't good if it twists. It's quite dangerous. Please if you start to be in extreme pain or throwing up go straight to a&e. I am 4 months into recovery and really feel for you. Good luck hope you get sorted.

• Posted

Hello

Thanks so much for your advice. I don't feel bad enough for A&E at the minute, but it's good to know it's there should I need it. I just need to figure out how to live with these pains...

Hope you're well x

• Posted

Hi Rebecca,

Im in the same situation as you. I know what your going through. Ive had to change jobs due to the pain (i worked in a dementia home). I find a hot water bottle can help, not whilst your at work i know, but you can get heat pads to use during the day. Im currently waiting for surgery (had my pre-op this week). If you go to a health shop they can advise you on different herbal medication you could try & also pick up a wheat bag whilst your there (there great). Hope you manage to control your pain some how.

Best wishes

Cheryl. X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.