Twitching

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi all

Just needed some advice if possible

Started in march with a forearm twitch that went after 3 or 4days. Had other twitches but seemed to stop. Went through the whole als anxiety and then read an article about symptoms and it seemed to calm me down.

Went to the doctor who said I had slightly brisk reflex in leg but nothing to worry about.

The last week the twitches Slowly comes back now in tricep and shoulder for the past week only. Been to physio about the discomfort who said that was normal and is a posture issue stemming from neck.

That I do understand.

Twitching has returned in my right calf. And it's all over the calf not necessarily in the same part of the leg. I have also had cramp in the night in both calves and also in feet.

GP said it's benign and not me to worry about it, but being anxious about it I noticed the right calf is smaller by .5cm then the left. I would suggest left being more dominant as I was left footed when I played football.

Can anyone relate to this? Does this sound normal!

I have an appintment again in 2 weeks but I feel like it's all in he mind!

I do exercise 5 times a week made up of gym and I run around 10 miles per week

I do also take levothyroxine for thyroid - could the dosage be wrong?

40 year old male!

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi, I had twitching of the muscles in my legs and eyelids while being hyperthyroid.

You could have a blood test to check if your thyroxine dose needs to be adjusted. Hyperthyroid patients have a raised metabolism and can develop deficiencies of essential minerals and vitamins, such as vit D, B vitamins, Magnesium, .

Potassium, Calcium.

Try to apply Magnesium oil to your legs. This might help to reduce muscle cramps. If you are otherwise healthy, you could start to use reduced Sodium table salt that is rich in Potassium (K).

• Posted

Thanks you. That's really helpful.

Does any of the vitamins actually interact with thyroxine?

I have upped magnesium in the evenings now so wil try calcium too.

Been running today and both calves are at it!

Thank tou again. Have youbhad similar?

• Posted

I had painful cramps in my calves and feet. Twitching was not painful but annoying and affected mostly my upper legs. 

Regarding thyroxine, I have no idea. I never had to take oral thyroxine. I assume you have to take it early morning on an empty stomach to maximise its absorption.  

Btw, Magnesium is very well absorbed through the skin. That's why I recommended Mg oil (a saturated solution of Mg Chloride Hexahydrate). You could have a warm bath to which you add 2-3 cups of Epsom salt. 

Have you lost any weight recently? That can easily happen if your thyroxine dose is too high. 

• Posted

Hi Dan

Thanks again

Yes I have been losing weight recently although some of that has been from trying too!

The cramps in my foot are not fun at all and you are right the twitching is just annoying.

I do have a gp appointment in a few weeks as I had a blood test last Friday about the levels. The surgery actually rang me to say I needed to speak to doctor about it

Fingers crossed that's gonna be the easiest explanation!

Kris

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.