Twitching Calves and now sharp pain in heel when dorsiflexed with straight leg

Posted , 1 user is following.

I've been suffering from a variety of leg issues for 18 months now, and I just had a development that I'm confused by. I'd be interested in opinions.

To begin with, I'm a mid-40s guy and have been athletic (cycling / running) in my adult life. About 18 months ago, I started having pain in my butt on the right side. Over the course of the next few months, I developed some occasional tingling and pain (above knee on inner side) in my left quad as well as bilaterally twitching in my calves. I went to see a variety of doctors (physiatrists, neurologists, orthopods) who conducted MRIs and EMGs and told me they could not find much. MRI showed a "mild bulge" at L4-L5 and L5-S1, mild facet arthropoathy and mild foranimal stenosis. I did a variety of PT sessions and over the past year have had minimal improvement. I most recently tried an epidural in August and it did nothing. Doctors and I had settled on the pain in the right butt being from an irritated piriformis.

The calf twitching waxes and wanes, but is better now than during the initial 6 months. In early September I got cramping in my RIGHT foot and heel pain, which feels like I am stepping on something in my shoe. This condition persists. Podiatrist could not identify the problem. And now, as of this past weekend, I've noticed a severe, sharp pain in my LEFT heel when I bend down or when I do a straight leg raise test and dorsiflex my foot. I note however that there is no pain in the left leg running from the butt to the calf, just pain in the heel. Could this be nerve impingement in the spine? Could the MRIs (I've had another one within the past month, still showing same findings) have missed some nerve impingement? What should be my next move from here? I honestly feel my doctors are tired of hearing about it. They don't think there's anything to operate on and keep suggesting more PT.

0 likes, 0 replies

0 Replies

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.