Twitching, cramping and shooting pains

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hey everybody, had surgery 10 days ago following full Achilles rupture and wondered if it’s normal to be experience cramping, shooting pains etc at this stage. Got a back slab cast on am due to see fracture clinic in 2 weeks I assume for a boot to be put on? Thanks in advance

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi! Sorry to hear about your achilles, but the great news is, its on the way to healing :-) I had both my peroneal and brevis tendons reconnected, and yes, I experienced the shooting pains etc. They aren't a big deal. More surprising than painful. Likely related to nerves being bothered during the surgery. I am in a splint unit and was also told that at my next appt (which is 15 days after surgery) I would be moved into an air cast. Hope this helps a little....happy healing. Dam tendons ;-)

• Posted

Hey Angela, thanks for your feedback. Yeah I’ve never had surgery so I’m probably over anxious if anything. Think 3 weeks after surgery is a fairly long time for them to see me again only on the basis of my bandages will be 3 weeks old and I’m trying to keep them as clean as Possible. My concern is infection at this stage, do you know how long after surgery the infection stage passes? Kindest regards! ☺️
    • Posted

I had a call from my surgery clinic on day 10. They asked if I had any infections to report. I told them no, and asked if I should feel confident that infection isn't an issue now. They agreed I should be confident and not to worry. As for the bandages staying on so long..I feel the same way!  15 days seems crazy to me. And you have to wait 21 days? Would it be worth calling your regular dr office and asking them? Or were you given a number to call if you had any questions or concerns? I think the medical system does a very poor job on giving us information. Its like 'slice/dice, and send you on your way'...haha. 

• Posted

Yeah I was given a number but I’m not experiencing pain as such just discomfort every now and then in the twitches, spasms and the occasional soreness where I think the incision was. How would you know if it’s infected when you have a cast on? Thanks smile
    • Posted

fever. sweating. and I would expect your toes would be swollen. it would probably get pretty uncomfortable under that splint too. You would know something wasn't right. :-)

• Posted

Hi , sorry to hear about your Achillies rupture One question is how did the surgeons reattach it ? I had a complete 3.5 cm rupture repaired in early 2015 they took a tendon from my big toe area to graft it I now suffer from a deformity in my foot Yes you will get shooting pains and cramping , mine were horrible and was put on very strong medications to control it Hope your outcome is a good one 
    • Posted

Hey Ivan, I really have no idea he said something about if there was a gap when bringing them both back together they would take a tendon from somewhere else but I guess they never had too. I had it done on the NHS and they where pretty tragic in explaining the procedure and recovery protocol
  • Posted

I had reconstructive surgery on my Achilles last December and definitely had shooting pains and lots of twitching. Kinda nerve racking. I was in the splint cast for 2 weeks and then they put a real cast on me for 4 weeks. I really hated that part. I actually ended up tripping with crutches and landed on my foot when it was in the splint 11 days after the surgery. I thought I had damaged my foot but it's actually ok. Be prepared for a long recovery. After I got the cast off I started pt about 2 weeks after. My foot was extremely swollen and I couldn't walk even with the boot. It probably took 9 months for my foot to fully heal and not have pain. I still have a weak calf muscle. So when you get to that point make sure you do your exercises to strengthen your foot and calf muscle again. And if you can, get a knee scooter. That helped me out tremendously while in the cast. ( I stopped using crutches after my incident lol) good luck in your recovery smile

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.