Twitching, HELP

Posted , 3 users are following.

hello, i am a 26 year old woman who has recently been suffering with horrific health anxiety. About 6 weeks ago i began to feel tingling sensations in my body, also waking up with pins and needles very frequently, i know this is quite common due to certain sleeping positions however it happened a lot more than i have ever noticed before. Alongside this fingers on my left hand often felt numb. This subsided and i felt ok up until 2 weeks ago however inbetween this period had a horrible viral chest infection followed my sinusitis. 2 weeks ago I noticed my right thigh randomly began twitching repeatedly after doing some squats with a resistant band, this lasted for about 30 minutes, i at first thought maybe this was from exercise however i have been training legs consistently for months / a few years on and off prior and never noticed this before. it then reoccurred the following morning making me extremely anxious after googling muscle twitches. A couple days after this, i noticed a mild but constant buzzing / tingling feeling in my right knee which has been present for 2 weeks now. I feel random pulsating feelings in various body parts and my thigh has twitched a couple times the last few days again. What has sent me into a state is that tonight, i have now visibly witnessed my right calf twitch when laying in bed. I ache all over which is not unusual for me due to my endo however now even the palms of my hands hurt which i notice when work myself up. I started to look at my tongue yesterday and believed it was twitching when stuck out & made an emergency appt &went to the doctors in an absolute panic yesterday who said it would unlikely be anything serious and booked me in for blood tests to check for any deficiencies. She also briefly checked my reflexes and said i was strong and said my tongue movements looked fine. However i have felt no reassurance and i feel so paranoid as I eat everything and cant see myself being deficient in any vitamins. I believe i have always suffered with RLS ( restless leg syndrome) as i get bubbling feeling in my legs at night often however the twitching has completely taken me by surprise and sent me into a frenzy. I feel like they subside when i calm down but i struggle to relax for long. I haven't exercised or lifted weights in 2 weeks as i am petrified of making it worse. Every second of the day i am thinking about this and have terrified myself even more by googling. My concern is that a-lot of the symptoms are in my right leg specifically. just to add i am also awaiting surgery for endometriosis and have felt extremely anxious for months and in general i am quite an anxious person and experience heart paliptations every now and then however these new symptoms have made my health anxiety spiral out of control. I signed up for CBT therapy today however i think it will take a while to start. Please can anyone let me know if they have experienced anything similar or advice that can make me rationalize this feeling, i can't function feeling this way. Thank you 😢 x

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Edited

this is a little long, but I wanted to share some things with you.

sorry you are so frightened about this. But I want to reassure you about the twitching and other sensations you were getting. When I was in my late 20s I had the same thing happened to me. I thought I had some horrible neurological disease. Prior to this I suffered with anxiety since childhood, and it just snowballed. After a while, the body can only take so much stress and anxiety before it has a breakdown. That’s what happened to me. I had ringing in my ears, mild weakness, tingling, floaters in my eyes, and yes, muscle twitching all over.

The muscle twitching is called benign fasciculation’s. Which means they are harmless. Athletes get them all the time with how they use their muscles. People with high anxiety get them also. all of my testing was always normal. I went to a neurologist due to the twitching, and he wasn’t concerned at all. He said, neuromuscular diseases are not sensory conditions. In other words, you don’t feel twitching or things like that.

Fast forward, if all those things were serious, I wouldn’t be in my 60s as I am today!

I’ve learned a lot along the way and one of the things is that when we focus on something we’re worried about, it will intensify. That’s because you’re telling your brain that something is wrong so the brain reacts and sends out adrenaline.

what you need to do is really take care of yourself. The level of anxiety needs to come down. Focus on doing good things for yourself. Such as lowering stress, eating, healthy, getting some exercise, meditation, for anxiety, which is on YouTube, maybe even getting some counseling to learn how to manage this. Feel free to private message me anytime. Everything’s gonna be OK but you really have to work on positive thoughts. I will private message you. Take care.

• Edited

I literally could have written this even down to the endometriosis. I have been waiting for my second surgery for 18 months which I finally had about 4 weeks ago, my anxiety building up to this had been through the roof especially as it was cancelled a couple of months ago due to me getting covid, which I believe I have a hard time getting over anyway with the fatigue etc...

My recovery from the lap has been the easy part although I think my anxiety leading up to it may be all coming out now as I have never felt so bad the last few weeks... nervous, dizzy, tinnitus, weak limbs, insomnia, weird dreams, a buzzing feeling in my body and just recently muscle twitching. It's absolutely killing me inside. I've had blood work, a CT on my head & neck which were ok, I have some narrowing of a neck bone which they don't seem too concerned about. I'm just waiting for a neurology appointment as I'm so scared they've missed something.

The reply on here is reassuring though so thank you Jan, I'm currently signed off work and am so desperate to get back to normal. My family are suffering because of my state of mind and it's just horrible x

• Edited

hello lovely, so sorry to hear you're going through this as well. I know its so hard but if we ratizonlize things it just goes to show anxiety does do these things to our bodies and that besides the endo we are healthy. I still feel very worried in the back of my mind but notice when i call the twitching subsides. I take kalms often & use rescue remedy to spray on tongue, i think these help a little if you dont already do,x

• Posted

when i calm down twitching subsides* it is most noticeable when im in bed with nothing else to focus on besides body sensations. The mind is so powerful and as Jan said when your telling your body somethings wrong it sends adrenaline to that part of the body- hence the twitch occurs. We will get through this anxiety x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.