Twitching in eye and loud noise in ear while trying to fall asleep. PLEASE HELP!!

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hey my name is kat and i was hoping someone can help me figure out why this happened to me while i was trying to fall asleep or fall back asleep as i was having nightmares and woke up at 4:30am. I was awoken by a bad dream so i stayed laid awake on my bed but my eye kept shutting and opening. I remember leaving my tv on and it shows different pictures like a slide show every couple of minutes. My eyes were open looking at the time 4:33 and it was a picture of a sunset at the beach with a boardwalk when all of a sudden a RANDOM NAME popped up in my head. I vividly remember thinking that i knew that name and it felt like my brain was searching for an answer!! I felt this very very loud ringing in my ear meanwhile my eyes were both twitching looking ahead at the boardwalk. The ringing got louder and i though to myself that i was having a seizure. Finally it stopped at 4:36 and i got up and calmed down. Can anyone explain to me what happened to me can possibly be normal?

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Yes Kat, it's perfectly normal. All kinds of odd things happen to us when we're in a state halfway between sleeping and waking, and they always get worse if we put too much attention on them or get anxious about them.

I'm afraid your TV had a lot to do with the episode you're describing. I don't doubt you always leave it on, but you really shouldn't. How do you expect to sleep soundly with a powerful source of stimulation within sight?

During a normal night we all wake up briefly after every sleep cycle - approximately every one-and-a-half hourse. Most people just turn over and go straight back to sleep again without realising they were awake, and don't remember it the next morning. Some of us, however, wake more fully and remember our awakenings the next morning. I've been like that all my adult life. It may be that you are developing this pattern, which normally starts in late teens/early 20s. If this is the case, leaving the TV on is the worst thing you could do, as it will capture your attention when you wake and send you into the half-waking, half-sleeping state you describe.

Forget about this little episode. It doesn't mean a thing. And for goodness' sake turn off the TV before you go to sleep from now on.

• Posted

Thanks so much i'll remember that from now on. I usually keep it on because is says the time on the lower right corner of my tv but i'll buy an alarm clock instead. Thanks for the advice!

• Posted

Yup! That sounds like a very good idea. It will reduce your/your parents' electricity bills too.cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.