Twitching Leg(s) Post-TKR Surgery

Posted , 3 users are following.

From BoneSmart org...

When Restless Leg Syndrome occurs after a TKR, it is usually related to the surgical procedure itself. It is unavoidable that some nerve bundles and possibly the superficial fibular nerve are injured. As you heal, scaring of neural and non-neural tissues occurs differently among different individuals. The various ways in which tissues heal following surgery is likely what determines whether a person develops RLS symptoms or not. It is normally a temporary problem that resolves itself with time. However, while it’s going on, RLS can be very uncomfortable and result in extreme fatigue because of lack of quality sleep.

From the US National Institutes of Health (NIH)...

Our results suggest that secondary unilateral restless legs syndrome may ensue from knee prosthesis surgery and that the symptoms are generated in the peripheral nervous system.

Symptoms...

* Strange itching, tingling, or "crawling" sensations occurring deep within the legs. These sensations sometimes occur in the arms.

* Involuntary movement or jerking of the legs while asleep or while awake and at rest. If you are asleep when this happens, the movement wakes you up and keeps you awake as it continues.

* A compelling urge to move the limbs to relieve these sensations.

* Restlessness, pacing, tossing and turning in bed, rubbing the legs.

* Sleep disturbance and daytime fatigue.

Conclusion...

So, it is possible to get RLS from knee surgery.  See your GP for a definitive diagnosis and treatment.  This could be temporary or not...can't tell.  Also, you need to know if it's definitely RLS.  I've personally had RLS for almost 20 years now.  Tried some Parkinsons and epilepsy meds.  No change and too many side effects.  Doc an I settled on 1 mg Xanax (Alprazolam) 15 minutes before bedtime.  Stopped all the twitching and let me get to sleep.

Again...you may have RLS or not, but you can see from the above sources that it is a definite possible side effect of the surgery.  See your doc...get relief regardless of what they say it is.

1 like, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Thanks for the information Chico. I just saw a neurologist for the twitching in my legs and occasionally in other parts of my body. He didn’t think it was from my TKR in January. I still think it has something to do with it. He thinks it is benign fasciculation syndrome. Didn’t even think I needed an EMG but he knows I have anxiety about it so it is scheduled for Dec. 4th. He gave me a prescription for Xanax  and told me to up my magnesium & drink quinine water. He also had me do blood work for my thyroid. Will see him on the 7th. My thorough exam ( about an hour) showed no other signs of anything serious. He also observed the twitching in my legs. I take the Xanax only before bed & I think the cramping & twitching is some what improved. Thanks for all of your valuable information.   Dolores😀

• Posted

Like I mentioned, you could have RLS or something else.  I was definitely surprised to read that a TKR can cause RLS...interesting.  The point is that even if there are conflicting diagnoses, the big thing is to get relief.  If 1 mg of Xanax right before bed works for you like it does for me, be happy and move on.  If the neuro finds some other diagnoses and prescribes some med with a lot of side effects, you may decide to just stay on the Xanax.  Very benign benzodiazepine at that dosage...if not abused...and has a half-life of only 3-4 hours so it's mostly out of your system by morning.  Yes, it can be addictive but almost never a 1 mg once a day.  If it works, you may want to stick with it.  I've been taking that dose for 20 years and I have no inclination to up the dosage at any time for any reason.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.