Two and a Half Weeks

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi everyone,

Posted on here just before Christmas, got some good advice and just giving you an update of my progress.

I never really gave much thought to myself being an alcoholic and thought that was for people that drink a bottle of vodka a day or had to have a drink in the morning etc, such was my conception of an alcoholic.

However analysing what I drink I have come to the conclusion that I am. Although I don't need to drink everyday i do usually about 4 - 5 times a week and minimum 6 Pints. On a weekend usually a binge on the Saturday and Friday night having about 10 pints each night. Probably talking about 30 pints a week. 

Realized when my nan died the other week over in Ireland and I was watching her die all I was thinking about was having a Guinness and using this as an excuse to get to the pub for a Guinness. I'm not a moron and can see this is not standard behavior.

From posting on this forum last time I was advised to take a break drinking and did so for 3 weeks before cmas. Massive anxiety, depression, So Tired and spaced out feeling happened on the withdrawls. Funnily enough no physical symptoms, only mental symptoms. How i'd love to trade all those for the shakes!

Christmas came, parties, drinking, nan dying. Back on the ale.

Stopped for good after Cmas as I can't go on like this and am now 2 and a half weeks not having a drink. Symptoms have cleared up a bit in regards to the anxiety however fatigue and that 'spaced out' feeling is still there, also a pain at the base of my back and muscle stiffness so my joints keep clicking!   I see no point going to the English NHS as they just put it down to an anxiety disorder, no matter how much I tell them i'm not an anxious person. It seems they are trying to farm me off.

All I want is to start feeling normal, not spaced out and feel well.

From my symptoms I researched; Candida, Fibromyalgia, Lymme Disease and Acetaledhyde. However If the anxiety and spaced out aren't being directly caused by alcohol and is one of these above the booze still can't be helping. Which is why I have decided not to drink any more and drink non-alcaholic beers (More than happy to do this if it means a normal brain functioning life).

However it probably is down to alcohol which is causing this, I just can't see any progress with these symptoms improving. Especially the 'departmentalization, brain fog'.

I really am at the end with all this as if this stopping drinking doesn't work I don't know what to do next. I'm hoping it's part of the withdrawals and will ease up over time. I've turned from a outgoing, funny, athletic person to a serious, hypochondriac tired person. Slowly giving up i'll ever feel like I used to again.

Thanks for reading anyway. I just wondered in regards to timescales.... If this is down to alcohol and anyone can relate definitely to the spaced out, departmentalization, brain fog and anxiety feeling how long did it take to remove. Are there any supplements to speed this up..... Vitamin B, Milk Thistle, Pro Biotics...?

Ive had my bloods done, everything is fine which is why im so confused!!!

Thanks again. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi

Sometimes people really want to stop drinking but can't

Either because they really don't want to or the can't face life on life's terms so the pick up the drink again to dumb the pain in there lives

They use many excuses to drink again , and yes staying stopped is really difficult but if you have it more time , and I suggest you go to Alcoholics Annoymous meetings if you can , there you will find people just like you and you will not feel it's just you alone that's feeling these feelings be it mental or otherwise

Most people can't stay stopped even when they take medication.

You have to give it more time, take each day a day at a time, that's all we have anyway

Good luck

• Posted

Hello Smitty,

I suffered the same symptoms as you are dealing with, and my doctor put me on Thiamine, Vitamin B12, magnesium citrate and zinc.  The joint pains may also be due to dehydration so be sure to drink plenty of fluids.  You may also be craving sugar since alcohol contains loads of sugar and you've cut that out of your diet, so the fatigue and fogginess may also be related to low sugar levels.  Stick to it!  You will start to feel much better once you're chemical balance is in order!  Good  luck! 

• Posted

Good reply Jacquleine. Yes, sugar cravings I can relate to. Give me some cake! Good forum for certain and let us hope that Smithy will pull out and do it! Robin
  • Posted

Hi. I'm so sorry to hear about your loss.

I was confused with your post because you said you'd trade your symptoms for the shakes. Have you experienced the shakes during your detox?

I'm only asking because I am detoxing at the moment and have the shakes like you wouldnt believe! The mental stuff I can deal with, the physical stuff I can't.

Sometimes grief will affect you in strange ways. Your body will deal with it and so will your mind.

I really hope you carry this through. You're doing an amazing job. Carry on and don't beat yourself up for wanting a Guiness. I think we all do!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.