Two and a half weeks post laprascopy, still need to take painkillers. Is that normal?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two and a half weeks ago I had surgery to remove a smallish 4cm dermoid cyst. I've recovered well from the side effects of surgery- no more bloating, energy levels are normal and no more pain when I move. However I'm still getting some discomfort inside which I'm having to relieve with paracetamol quite regularly. The discomfort has stayed at a constant level for the last week and a half, it hasn't eased. Am I right to be concerned or am I expecting too much too soon for the discomfort levels to be decreasing? Also I started having problems emptying my bladder a couple of weeks before surgery, I was hoping surgery would ease that immediatley however I'm still having problems now. Anyone else had similar trouble and did surgery ease things?

1 like, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi - I had open surgery 2 months ago and still have pain and discomfort. It's getting better each week but it's taking a lot longer than I thought it would. The incision looks good but I can feel it pulling, itchy - almost "prickly" if that makes sense? Some stabbing pains once in a while will radiate off it. How does your feel? The hardest part for me was I had to sleep on my back and now I need physio - my back, hips just ache! 

I cannot exercise at all and sitting for longer than an hour bothers it. I have to keep standing and walking.. or lie flat! I had bladder problems pre surgery - had to go at least 4 times during the night, now it's once or twice.

• Posted

I'm almost four weeks post surgery now, the pain inside hadn't eased up and in fact got worse today so I went to see my consultant. Sadly whilst very nice, he wasn't very helpful. He suggested it couldn't be anything major as my stomach is back to normal and my wounds from my operation were healing fine. Just suggested I go for yet another blood and urine test when I had two each prior to the discovery of the cyst and neither brought up anything unusual. I'm starting to get very concerned I might have to go back into surgery to correct whatever is still causing pain, especially as I've discovered on the notes the doctor gave me that the background shows endometrotic cyst in addition to the dermoid I had removed and that endometrotic cyst was never mentioned before.

• Posted

Oh no! I’m sorry to hear that. Maybe it just needs more time to settle down? I made the mistake of lifting some groceries when I shouldn’t have and the next couple of days my pain was bad so I am not lifting a thing till I reach the 12 week mark. Hopefully you don’t have to go back for more surgery - that would be a lot back to back! They should do an MRI on you so they can see exactly what is going on - why not suggest that? 
    • Posted

Thanks, I'd love if it just needs more time to heal. Just a bit wary of being too complacent after waiting 3 months for the cyst to be diagnosed and thinking up until that point 'im sure there will be a pill for that.' Definitley going to ask for a scan when I see the consultant tomorrow if the blood/urine come back normal as I suspect. Wishing you all the best with your recovery too!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.