Two Antidepressants at the same time possible?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello altogether.

My name is Joe and I want to know if somebody has experiences with taking 2 similar antidepressants at the same time. In my case I took first Venlafaxin ((SSNRI) and then changed to Paroxetin (SSRI). Well, Paroxetin was a bit better but it caused more weight and a swollen belly.

Now I wonder if it is possible to mix the both. Namely 75mg Venlafaxin and adittional 10mg Paroxetin. In the past 4 months I had only 40mg Paroxetin.

My problem is a torturing exhausting and a lack of drive since  30 years, but not caused from the pills.

Please tell me your experiences or your opinion.

Thank you in advance

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

I haven't come across those together, but I take venlafaxine (225mg) and mirtazapine (30mg) together very successfully.
  • Posted

i also haven't heard of your two together but I take 225mg Venlafaxine and 30mg Amitriptyline a day as prescribed by my doctor.  This has been successful for me.

• Posted

I don't know what these drugs are.  However, I know of lots of people who take two SSRIs.  There are a few meds that help SSRIs work better.  Of course, you should see a doctor to get the correct dosage and possible change meds to make them more compatible.  Sorry I couldn't be of more use.  Take care.
  • Posted

Hi Joe, I think to get the correct answer is to ask a Good pharmacist, as I was taking two medications that contained anti-depressant additives, and when in hospital, 10 years ago, was told by their pharmacist, that we Shouldn't, as they can lead to seizures....and I then realized that the slight tremors that I had been having, were in fact mini seizures.......I know that our docs prescribe these medications for us, but it is the Pharmacists who Specialize in drugs and their constitutions (what is in each)........good luck   Bron
  • Posted

I've realised that my husband is on Fluoxetine (an SSRI) 20mg with Clomipramine (a tricyclic antidepressant). So that is another permutation!
  • Posted

Thank you all for the helpful comments.

And you are absolutely right. The best way is to consult a pharmacist.

I will post it when I got the info.

Get well soon everybody.

• Posted

Now I visited two pharmacists and they gave two different answers. The first told me it isn t recommendable to mix the both. Because it can lead to unpredictable potentiation.

The second one said there is no problem.

So I have to wait for my appointment at the doc in september.

• Posted

I've had different reactions from various pharmacists when I take in my prescription for venlafaxine and mirtazapine together. Some give me the medication without a problem, but others doubt whether I should be taking both of them together. But it is the doctor who prescribes them - and the combination works for me!
    • Posted

Thank you very much, pixie. Meanwhile I could get an earlier conversation with the locum doctor. And now I can take 20mg Paroxetine and 75mg Venlafaxin together for one week. Afterwards I will use only Venlafaxin.

In my opinion the result of all is, that it isn t  impossible, but a backing from the doc is recommended.

Thank you all for helping and get well soon :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.