Two beat Nystagmus diagnosed

Posted , 1 user is following.

I am 80 and had cataract surgery in 2013 and had thorough eye examinations at that time and also a few years ago when I did not do well in field vision tests when glaucoma was wrongly suspected . I was always short sighted and wore glasses from the age of 12. Since cataract surgery I have twice had eye tests the last one being on 14th January without any problems being noted apart from slight condensation in the lower corner of  the left lens and that the right lens had been slightly scratched when being put in.

I had earlier mentioned to my GP that I had been having headaches since the end of October and he referred me to a headache clinic and a neurologist who I am still waiting for appointments with. I also mentioned the headaches to the optician who found no reason for them.

I then had an appointment with the blood pressure clinic and again mentioned the headaches. The consultant there examined my eyes but did not mention a problem. I had a letter from him today to say that he had arranged for a CT head scan saying that cranial nerves II-XII were all intact but a two beat nystagmus noted in the left eye on lateral gaze. 

https://patient.info/doctor/nystagmus

​If his diagnosis is correct this seems to be a condition with many causes.

I’m sure that this Forum will have others with this condition.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hello Derek, I know very little about Nystagmus but I do know that James Galway [the flautist] has the condition and is a Patron of Nystagmus Newtwork UK

I'm sure there must be members of this Forum who have it too.

What happens next, from your point of view?

• Posted

I had not heard of it prior to yesterday or did not remember the cause of James Galways eye problem. I have no noticeable symptoms and to a great degree doubt the diagnosis of a renal consultant and his assistant as when I had an eye test the day before with nothing noticed and no need for a change of reading prescription. I'm going to look in at the opticians today to see what they say. After that I can only wait for the head CT scan.

Googling Nysagmus it has many causes and symptoms. One cause that should be well behind me is Amiodarone that I stopped last March after my cardioversion. It had caused eye and vertigo like balance problems when taking it. Googling Losartan with Nysagmus also brings up connections. With all the meds thrown at us without much consideration is it surpring that we feel under the weather a lot of the time?

• Posted

I believe James Galway's Nystagmus is congenital.

Are you saying that it was a Nephrologist who diagnosed your Nystagmus?  Hasn't he referred you to an Ophthalmologist?

I suppose the CT scan might give them a clue and then you should be referred to the correct Specialty.

Hope it turns out alright for you.

• Posted

Yes the Nephrologist. I suppose directly for a CT scan to cut out the middle man and if anything found I can then see the right person.

Looked into the opticians but she is on holiday. I might as well see the same one so will go back next Wednesday

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.