Two days post op: doing well

Posted , 5 users are following.

I had my intussusception, enterocele and rectocele repaired on Monday via rectopexy and was back at home last night having a cuddle on the sofa with my boyfriend and enjoying a bowl of soup.

I have five incisions but only two of them are bothersome and that's only really when hobbling to the bathroom or when coughing which I have a bit of from the intubation. Emptying my bladder is slightly uncomfortable in my tummy but voids well without any stinging. No bowel action yet but can hear it gurgling away.

In recovery I was already able to notice the lack of pressure and dragging in my rectum and vagina so I hope that continues. I'll be on laxatives for six weeks and then the surgeon hopes I can then go back to using the peristeen but hopefully it will be a lot easier as my colon is now repositioned and de-kinked. I'm fortunate that I don't have any real responsibilities so can focus on resting and be able to react to any hiccups that emerge along my recovery.

Thank you so much for all your support, particularly Matron for providing reassurance throughout my diagnosis over the last year. Nicky, I'll be thinking of you tomorrow for your procedure and hope that you too have a straight forward experience.

2 likes, 19 replies

19 Replies

• Posted

I'm so pleased to hear it went well & you are safely home 🙂.

You have been through so much I really hope things improve for you. You deserve it. Best wishes xx 💐

• Posted

Thank you for your kind well wishes! I hope so too and will keep you all updated x
  • Posted

That's brilliant to hear Edith, I'm getting a bit nervous I must admit but it's good to hear how quickly you are recovering. Did you have laparoscopic surgery mine is going to be abdominal so I think I might be a bit slower to recover. Preparations are underway here and the alarm is set for 5a.m. 😢, I work in a same day admissions unit so at least I know everyone I'm going to meet and I know what is going to happen which I think will help. Hope you continue to get stronger and we can compare notes soon x

• Posted

Good luck for tomorrow Nicky. Keep in touch x
    • Posted

I was incredibly nervous beforehand, Nicky, but as soon as I saw the surgeon in the morning to sign my consent and he went through what he was going to do and how it was going to improve things for me I felt a lot better. Then, as you know from your job, everything was very matter of fact. I didn't even realise I was going to sleep, my last thought was that the mask did smell strange and then I woke up in recovery. Please do let me know how you get on x

• Posted

It's good to hear it went well edith and you are home. Keep resting particularly the next couple of weeks xx

• Posted

Thank you, Matron. I will do x
  • Posted

Well I am finally home so just thought I would let you know. Operations both seem to have gone well according to the surgeons but I'm still quite uncomfortable and exhausted. I had some bloods done post op and was told they were ok but the doctor today had another (first maybe!) look at them and my Hb is 98 - 9.8 in real money.I've been sent home with some iron to take, so loads of prunes etc for me over the next couple of weeks.

• Posted

I'm pleased to hear you are back home, Nicky! Exhaustion from such a big procedure certainly isn't going to be helped with the anaemia but I hope that the prunes and iron will soon improve your levels; I too am existing on dried apricots and kale!

I ended up in A&E in the early hours of Friday as four days of ibuprofen had depleted my poor stomach lining and I could not stop vomiting. The heaving on my incisions was beyond excruciating but I was seen immediately and ten minutes after that had ondanestron-based relief; I am obviously an incredibly delicate flower as cannot tolerate anything but paracetamol! I've got a bit of a slightly gapey incision under the dermabond, so will be down to the GP tomorrow to be reglued and see what pain relief options there are for me. 

If your bowels have woken up yet have you noticed any improvement? I've been getting some back pain and pelvic discomfort beforehand, but I can't believe how passive it is now! Hopefully this continues! 

• Posted

Sorry to hear you ended up back in hospital and I hope you get some good pain relief sorted soon. I'm getting a lot of wind pain today but getting some relief from peppermint oil and a heat pad. I'm going to go for a little walk in a bit and I hope that'll help too. I'm taking diclofenac and that doesn't seem to be upsetting my stomach so fingers crossed. Apart from the wind my bowels don't seem to be playing the game yet and I now the iron isn't going to help so I'm trying to eat as much as I can to help them on their way. Catch up soon.

• Posted

edith so sorry to read this. Anti inflammatories can be lethal as I've learned to my cost. I can't even take one and that's with lansoprazole as well. Take things easy as I know you will and take care. Lots more pampering required I think x

• Posted

I had three days of an incredibly gurgly stomach and then a result. Feet up and gentle rocking also aided the process. 

Looking forward to hearing your progress. 

• Posted

It was lethal indeed! Has been really difficult managing my pain; ended up being in recovery for over six hours as turned out have opioid sensitivity so was in a bit of a sorry state to start off with. Apparenlty that meant I qualified for the "Harrods pain relief package" wink. There's still some drug classes left so hopefully will be more comfortable tomorrow! x

• Posted

I hope you do get this sorted out because pain is not very nice and can hinder recovery as you know. Just keep taking things easy and keep in touch x
    • Posted

I've been sorted out with gabapentin and metoclopramide so I can tolerate the dihydrocodeine on top, if needed. What an absolute relief! 

• Posted

So glad to hear that Edith.

Unfortunately I've been re admitted today as I still haven't "been" and an abdominal xray has shown that there is a lot there! I'm really uncomfortable but I think that things are finally starting to move haha

My wcc and crp are both up so they want to check my bloods again in the morning to make sure there is no active infection .

• Posted

Oh Nicky! What a palaver for you! You anticipated that it might be a slightly more troublesome recovery with it being open surgery, but I do hope you have some relief coming your way; hopefully immediately after you are a bit emptier! Fingers crossed that your elevated levels are from the surgical stress rather than active infection. Please keep me updated - I am thinking of you.

• Posted

Morning Edith, I spent 24 hours back in hospital and have been doing okay since I got home this time!! Bloods were returning to normal and my check Hb showed that that was improving too so I've decided not to take the iron they gave me which I think will help with "other things!" Eating loads of fresh and dried fruit, had steak for tea yesterday and liver and bacon 🥓 today washed down with kale spinach and watercress so getting as much dietary iron as I can. 

I hope you are still doing well and your pain is more controlled now? My husband is brilliant and my daughters are also making sure that I rest and do what I'm told. I'm currently still in bed but about to go and have some breakfast before watching the marathon, crying and thinking I could do that.....the same as I have every year since it began and never got further than 5k. Speak soon Nicky x

• Posted

I'm glad that your levels are back up, Nicky. Here's hoping that you can focus on just recovering from the procedure now. I'm pleased to hear your husband and daughters are looking after you, I've been at my Mum's for the past week and have been treated like porcelain smile.

I've found that I've been gettting upset not only from the toll on my emotional resilience from the surgery but also what it means - it's almost validated all the struggles I've had with my health over the last ten years. I've also felt sad about how I've had three starts at three separate careers and am now at a loose end whilst recovering and feeling a bit lost. I am however and thankfully, not in any pain, just a bit uncomfortable, sore and tired at the end of the day if I've perhaps over done it a bit. Especially when on gabapentin, there is a bit of a false sense of wellbeing, so I thinking I could "mop" the floor with a broom handle with a wet wipe on the end whilst sat on a desk chair, was a bit misguided and quickly put an end to by my boyfriend.. x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.