Two different answers

Posted , 5 users are following.

i took a comprehensive lab test (in morning, empty stomach) for thyroid and two different endo doctors gave me two different answers.

One said normal, the other said possible hypothyroid from pitutiary gland because my Free T3 and Free T4 were on lower end of "normal" range. In case you're wondering my results:

Thyroxine: 8.0. (Range 4.5 - 12)

T3 Uptake: 22 (Range 24 - 29)

Free Thyroxine Index: 1.8 (Range 1.2 - 4.9)

T4, Free: 0.96 (Range 0.82 - 1.77)

T3: 137 (Range 71 - 180)

TSH: 1.910 (Range 0.450 - 4.50)

TPO Antibodies: 14 (Range 0 - 34)

T3 Free: 3.0 (Range 2.0 - 4.4)

Has anyone had this issue?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I don't remember my original numbers (33 years ago), but I remember that my endocrinologist said the part of my pituitary gland that controls the thryoid was not functioning. I don't know if that's still the case, but all of my numbers fall within the norm (on levothyroxine).

• Posted

Your T3 uptake looks to be lower than normal, maybe that is what the one doctor was talking about (because the free T3 and free T4 in conjunction with the low T3 uptake).

Everyone is different, so if you feel good this is probably OK where you are. The only test not in the normal range is the T3 uptake. I had a thyroidectomy about 10 years ago, but i have never gotten a T3 uptake test before. I tried to look up what it means, and I am not positive. All of your other tests look good if you feel good. If you do not feel real good then maybe you are someone that feels better when you test on the higher side of normal, so that may be what the one doctor meant. When testing like this, it comes down to how YOU feel.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.