Two disc herniations?! or another problem?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I am 20 years old, and had a lumbar microdisectomy last year, it hurt for several months after and had just stopped hurting the last few months. 

My doctor's claimed that my severe headaches were not associated with my back, however, after my surgery, the headaches went away, and now that my back pain has returned, my neck and head are extremely painful. 

This time around i am also having increased muscle weakness and numbness in both arms and legs, and the sciatic pain in my right leg is worse as well, I can barely do house work, let alone work and be active. Just a short walk will make me throw up and be in tears.

I am wondering if there are more than one of my discs that have herniated, possibly in my lumbar, and cervical , or if there's another problem causing similar pain and symptoms??

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

That would be rare to have that many ruptured or bulging discs in such a young person, to affect BOTH arms and BOTH legs, not to mention that the disc affecting the right leg is irritating the sciatic nerve causing numbness and muscle weakness so that disc is really far out.

But, if I read your post right, you started out complaining of severe headaches and someone found that you had a ruptured or bulging disc that was causing you some back pain so you had a microdiscectomy.  After several months you finally felt better but it was only a few months because then the headaches neck and back pain returned, now with weak arms and legs.

What studies were done on you ? Do you have an MRI? X-rays? Has anyone worked you up for migraines? Are you having a headache when you are throwing up? It would be really nice to have some sort of study of your entire spine- cervical, thoracic and lumbar to see if you have something like scoliosis which would be just starting to cause problems in a young woman your age.  LOL it is hard to do a diagnosis from across a computer. But a good PM doc could definitely help you ( I am a retired one)

Lynn

• Posted

Hi, Yes haha I understand it's difficult. I was mostly asking because I can't find a good GP and MRIS can take months here, it's hard to get a doctor to order the tests.

I appreciate your comment, I'll let you know if I do get those tests, I just was wondering if there was something crazy going on that could be a possibility, haha.

Thank you so muchsmile

• Posted

Hi Mymia sorry to hear about your pain. I have multiple herniated and bulging discs in my lumbar and cervical as well and I am not much older than you. They started in my mid 20s and now I’m in my mid 30s. There is a very simple test to see if you have a lumbar herniation but it’s not 100% conclusive and I’ve actually had doctors give it to me wrong if you can believe that. Anyway, lay flat on your back on the ground bending one knee up keeping that same legs foot flat on the ground. Next take you other foot and flex your toes up so they’re pointing on the ceiling. This pulls your hamstring tight putting pressure on your lumbar region. Next keeping your knee locked slowly raise your the leg with the flexed toes. If you feel sudden sharp pain in your lumbar you most likely have a herniated disc. Repeat for both legs. Whatever side hurts is the side that the disc is pressing on. If nothing happens that does not necessarily mean you don’t have a herniated disc and there are different degrees of herniation/bulging. Don’t be afraid to get another opinion and find a dr that doesn’t just discount your opinions. Whatever you do do not do a fusion. I did one and it was the biggest mistake of my life. It doesn’t take well in young people for whatever reason. Hope that helps. Good luck. 

Best 

• Posted

There is a name for that test, it is called Lasegue's sign and it is done with the one leg straight out, lifting the other leg straight with toes pointed up and seeing if the patient cries out in pain.  Also, that was VERY good advice about not getting a fusion and may I add on to that ANY surgery at your young age. Avoid surgery for as long as you can because once you have done it you can't take it back. Right now you have a clean epidural space for a pain management doctor to work with, they can thread up catheters, inject medications and have them disperse all over without any scar tissue impeding things, they can thread leads. There are so many options open for you to try before you resort to surgery. Heck, I abhor chiropractors and I'd rather you see one of them before you go and get surgery at your young age! LOL, now that was painful to admit...chico marx will hopefully miss this post.

Lynn

• Posted

I've had doctors do it both ways. I think the most important thing is flexing your toes. If you are not very flexible or are in a weaker state having one leg bent just makes the test easier to perform. I gave up after 10 years of repeated herniations and did the surgery and I am in more pain but I have spoken to people that say it helped them I just think it's a bad idea. Wait til the start making synthetic disc replacement a thing. Lol.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.