Two doctors, two results very far apart...

Posted , 3 users are following.

Can anyone explain this to me?  How can I go from no iron problems to needing infusions in 3 months?

2 different doctors, 2 different tests, 2 different ref. ranges & 2 different results in the extreme.  I know each lab is different but on a website that explains how to read these reports I found this:

Ferritin, serum      Conventional Units                    SI Units

Female                    10–120 ng/mL                   10–120 mcg/L

Dr./Date                              Test Taken    Result      Ref. Range

Dr. M report of 5/12/2015       Iron              62   30 – 180 mcg/dL

Dr. W report as of 8/20/2015  Ferritin         6.3  10 – 200 ng/mL

Dr. W report as of 1/13/2016  Ferritin         8.0   10 – 200 ng/mL

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Maybe you need a third opinion. But three months to me is a long time. Do you drink alcohol or tea? These are things that block the absorption of vitamins. I know tea definitely blocks iron absorption. I had to cut down on it when I was trying to get my iron up. You can look up a list of drinks/foods that block iron/vitamin absorption which would cause your iron to drop. Too much sugar in your diet can do this too. You can also show the two different tests to both doctors/labs and ask them the same question. Maybe someone messed up. Also you said they used 2 different ref. ranges. It sounds like a mistake could happen there. Do you feel low on iron? If you were low, you should definitely feel bad/unwell.
    • Posted

Thank you for answering.  I did nothing different in that 3 month period of time.  I didn't change my eating habits & I still don't feel any different. My new dr wants me to have infusions that I can't afford.  She is worried I may be heading for pernious (sp ?) anemia.  The other dr told me my iron was fine.  It's that they are such extremes.  I've been researching foods that inhibit iron absorption & those that help & from what I can tell it's a nightmare.  Every list tells you to eat fortified cereal & then another list tells you one of the biggest blockers is calcium. Then I find that Vit. C helps with absorption but some of the fortified cereals are fortified with everything but vit. C.  And they all seems to have 100% calcium added in.  I've eaten spinach salads all my life & now find out that even though spinach has 3 times the iron of other leafy greens it also has a big dosage of oxalate which inhibits iron absorption.  Also, I'm a big egg eater & eggs have iron, but they also have a protein in them that inhibits iron absorption.  It's a nightmare. What on earth do people eat?  
    • Posted

Yeah, they make it very confusing so that you don't know what to eat. I just ate the way I usually would cause if I followed what I read I wouldn't be able to eat any. I just cut back on the tea because I didn't really need to drink tea. Since one doctor says you are fine and you feel fine then maybe the other doctor or lab messed up. Unless the doctor gets a kick back/a cut of the money from that expensive iron infusion. May I ask why did you switch doctors? You might have to switch again. Too much iron can be harmful. So, it is good to make sure you need it.
    • Posted

Lots of red meat and and free vegies my doc told me then eat a orange after to absorb the iron are you are your periods heavy ? And its true to much iron isn't a good thing and what you have to pay for an infusion that's crazy I love the Australian health care system I would never need to pay for an infusion as it could save your life if it was needed that bad maybe go see another doctor and tell him you have had mixed results and that you are worried cause you don't know what to believe you should know I your iron is low cause o can sure tell its exhausting good luck with everything xo
    • Posted

I think I will go back to eating what I used to eat.  If it wasn't for the fact that the two results weren't so extreme I might not think much of it but it seems that there is a mistake somewhere along the line.  I switched doctors because she & I weren't communicating.  Ane she got a reading of 164 for my blood pressure the 1st part of 2015 & she didn't mention it to me.  I've also never had high blood pressure before.  But she is the one that I think has the correct iron count.  I don't know what to think anymore. Everytime I bring this up to anyone they seem to be just as confused as I am.  At this point I think I need to confront my present PCP & see what's going on.  If she isn't willing to work with me I may have to get another doctor.  My problem is I live in a very small town surrounded by small towns & everyone knows everybody.  But I still expect dr to be professional about my health.  Thanks for all your insight.
    • Posted

Eating an orange after the veggies will help despite the oxalate?  Thank you. That makes sense.  No more periods as I'm 67 years of age & so thankful there are no more periods.  Yes, our health care system here in the states isn't very good & neither is social security.  I'll consider seeing another dr although I really rather not.  At this point I think I need to confront my present PCP & see what's going on.  If she isn't willing to work with me I may have to get another doctor.  Thank you for your suggestions.
    • Posted

No problem. I like to try and help people if I can. I hope you get this iron situation straightened out soon.
    • Posted

The world needs more people like you.  Take care & if I can find you again I'll let you know how it turns out.
    • Posted

Hope all goes well yeah doc said vitamin c will help iron absorption i still find it crazy how America don't look after people in the fact you need to pay for health services especially a blood transfusion hopefully you can sort it xoxo
    • Posted

Thank you.  I've started taking my morning 1/2 iron pill & eating an tangerine with it.  Hope it helps.  I've decided to see my PCP & see what she has to say & if she & I can't develop a better relationship I will start looking for a new dr.  It's been very nice talking to someone who understands.  I don't have many like you in my life.  If I can find you again on this website I'll let you know how it all goes.
    • Posted

Thanks! You take care as well and please let me know how everything turns out if you can.
    • Posted

Susan bot sire if you know you can send private messages to people might be easy to stay in touch with people that have helped or you just click with hope all goes well for you and your doctor gives you the support you deserve xo
    • Posted

If you are not sure about how to message you click on the envelope near ones user name xo

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.