TWO Identical PAINLESS groin ABSCESSES?!.

Posted , 3 users are following.

For around 18 months, two identical, painless abscesses have appeared (and discharged), in groin. One on each side, in crease at top of legs.

They swell up to around the size of a broad-bean, then the slightest touch (usually from underwear), will cause them to discharge pus. This happens every 7-10 days. I've bathed them, I've temporarilly covered them, and I've used various creams. None of these cures the problem, or makes any difference.

Sometimes, when they swell up, I've touched them and after the pus is discharged, there is a lot of very black-type blood that oozes. Sometimes, even the pus is Brown.

ANY IDEAS, PLEASE. DON'T KNOW WHAT I SHOULD DO, OR IF I SHOULD TELL DOCTOR. DON'T WANT TO MAKE A FUSS.

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

I had surgery in 2007 for hydra-addenitis (apologies for spelling). I had a collective of four primary crypts throughout my right groin crease and required quite radical surgical debridement. It was a deep operation and took over 6 weeks simply for the skin to join together again. I then had to undergo local trigger point injections to stop the nerve pain to allow me to walk properly.

Whilst it took about 6 months plus to be back to back to normal again and the recuperation means you need a lot of help (you ideally need to be resting as much as possible to allow the crease to heal and not pull apart the whole time). I must say it was worth it, that pain and bother is completely resolved.

I did suffer with stiff legs after the operation as the resting time meant my legs wanted to cease up every time i did any excercise but my daughter was 1 at the time and i had no excuse not to try and get better, hence the pain injections with the anaesthetist.

My surgeon was a general surgeon with a skin disease/vascular special interest. you should get these seen to as they will simlpy recur again and again unless you get them removed.

• Posted

Thanks for replying to my enquiry. I do appreciate your advice, and for explaining what you've been through.

Mine seem to be different to your description, though. I don't have any pain from them at all, and can prod and press all I like, without any tenderness or problem (except, they ooze pus or blood). Am not sure if I just have a painless version of the same condition you had, or if it's something completely different.

But, Thank you again. Good Luck with your future, and bringing up your children.

Best Wishes.

• Posted

i had times when they were "quiet" but i still had lumps there. The consultant i had surgery with explained that these types of lumps happen as the water collects and if when they discharge they are not fully emptied they simply refiorm adn recur, hence why they come back again and again.

I never dreamed i had anything serious and actually i also tried a simple local excision under the NHS to start with but they came straight back, and that was when they started to hurt. Before they were just there and i could poke and prod it and sometimes get discharge out.

You have symptoms that the GP should be able to refer you for. No one knew how bad mine were as the lumps went backwards into the leg crease, not outward to form bigger lumps. you might be lucky and just have folliculitis - in any case some antibiotics for the infectin of the skin might help.

• Posted

Thanks again, Spoons.

You've been very helpful, and I'll now go and make the appointment to get them looked at. Just the thought of making a fuss was putting me off, particularly as they don't hurt. As they just look blue/black, and ooze a lot of pus or blood, I didn't have a clue about what I should do.

Cheers,

Best Wishes.

• Posted

HAG, did you get any further forward with this? I have exactly the same thing by the sound of it and was curios to know whether you'd found any kind of resolution? Thanks.
  • Posted

Hi H81,

Thanks for asking about this, and for telling me that you have the same thing. It always helps to know you aren't the only person in the world with these strange things going on.

I still have them, and my GP tells me they are just inward growing hairs which are infected, so it's folliculitis. They do keep appearing every now and again, which is a real pain, even though the actual things don't hurt at all.

I do think it would be worthwhile for you to see your GP, just to make sure. As Spoons mentions above, it could be something else, and which needs further attention.

Take Care, and please get them checked out.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.