Two large Hiccups followed by MASSIVE heart attack?

Posted , 3 users are following.

Recently, my grandpa passed away. His last moments were described as having two large hiccups, then falling to the ground, and having seizure like spasms on the floor. He was declared dead within 5 minutes. 

I was wondering how this happened, particularly possibly why the hiccups preceded this massive heart attack.

He had two heart attacks about a decade ago (almost cardiac arrest) and has had high blood sugar, pressure, and cholesterol. However, after those first 2 attacks, he became quite healthy through exercise and diet. Please let me know what you think. Thanks.

0 likes, 1 reply

Report / Delete

1 Reply

• Posted

My condolences to you and your family.  Your story could've been mine, my father died of a massive heart attack

as well.  He was only 62 and had worked the day he died.  He managed to drive home (8 mile drive), having to pull off the road twice before finally arriving home where my 2 sons ( age 12 & 14 at the time) were beside themselves at the prospect that their grandfather might not survive.  I was working at the time and it was a surreal event for me to take in.  I was guardedly optimistic that he might just make it, but that was not to be.  I have heard of people experiencing dyspepsia while having a heart attack, I'm sure they might suffer hiccups as well.  My father was sitting in a kitchen chair and a police officer was about to put some oxygen on him when he suffered some kind of seizure, then he fell off the chair to the floor.  The doctor at the hospital where he was ultimately transported told us, that in his opinion, he expired the moment he hit the floor.  They worked on him for close to an hour, but there was nothing they could do.  

Report / Delete Reply

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the forums to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the forums are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the forums is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.

newnav-down newnav-up